RecipeDB - DrSmurto's Golden Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
you can wack it straight in. I have heard that dry hopping into the fermenter will cause a bit of a loss of aroma due to it 'blowing off' as CO2 is still being produced. This is why I chuck it into the secondary, and a big reason why I even bother with going into a secondary.

when you dry hop do you just put the hops in the fermenter or do I need some fancy equipment?

Gava, up to you, but you really don't have to dry hop as there is a lot of hops in this beer already IMHO. To keep things simple, you could just leave it in primary fermenter then bottle off. That's what I have done and it comes up darn fine. Has big hop aroma without dry hopping.

Provided you've already put the final hop addition in at flame out as the good doctor's recipe suggests I reckon you'll have all the big hop you need. It's pretty forgiving this recipe.

Cheers and all the best with the final stages of it, regardless of how you make it :icon_chickcheers:

Hopper.

Hey, here's a question. Not even off topic really as I have two fermenters of this ready to go.

One will go into a keg and the other will be bottled. Having never bottled anything that is dry hopped before can you wack a little hop pellet into each bottle to keep that lovely amarillo smell a bit longer or would this upset the bitterness ratio?

i've made about 5 batches of this now with the 1469, and i couldn't reccomend it higher, must be a personal taste thing, i mash at 65 degrees too. and use maris otter. I thought the amarillo was perfect.

I hope you aren't mad at me for giving you that little push? :)

This beer has just gotten better and better. freshly carbed with little-no cold conditioning, was kinda meh, but having let it settle out, treating with gelatin, i must say 1469 is in fact an excellent yeast to use with this one. it's quite a different beer to the 1056/us-05 variety, i think i blamed the yeast when i tried this batch too early...

Hey, here's a question. Not even off topic really as I have two fermenters of this ready to go.

One will go into a keg and the other will be bottled. Having never bottled anything that is dry hopped before can you wack a little hop pellet into each bottle to keep that lovely amarillo smell a bit longer or would this upset the bitterness ratio?

You are better off just adding the hop pellets after the fermentation has finished. They will sink to the bottom of the fermenter eventually. Leave it for another 4-7 days and then bottle/keg as normal.

I brewed this as per recipe. But it's shockingly sweet... could it be a problem in fermentation?

How did you measure your mash temp?

At 66C and only 300g of crystal i am surprised you think its sweet.

Are you thermometers calibrated?

I found my HLT thermo was 3C under (out of the box) and cant be calibrated.

I just racked the Dr's GA into a keg today. I did add 100gr of malanoidin to the grain bill, had a prelim and tastes great. Looking forward to cracking this in three weeks.

Well the keg didn't last long it was a winner. Will put this down again in the future, this would have to be a classic.

This recipe is obviously one of the all time favourites on this forum, very probably with good reason.
I guess if it pushes your buttons, go for it.

Am I the only one never to have brewed it?
How many others do not enjoy Amarillo hops?

Edit: This post is NO disrespect to DrSmurto, just my personal preference, nothing more.

i am not a fan of this style of beer so have never brewed it. I am also not a fan of Amarillo, Cascade or Chinook.
There must be something wrong with me????

Regards

Graeme

i am not a fan of this style of beer so have never brewed it. I am also not a fan of Amarillo, Cascade or Chinook.

Regards

Graeme

How dare you :eek:

I have only brewed the partial version of this have not got around to doing it AG. Amarillo is also one of my favorite hops.

I should get off my backside and brew it.

Cheers
Rob

Regards

Graeme

Then don't post a reply!!! as the mods have requested, "ensure that topics are kept informative" :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

QldKev

This recipe is obviously one of the all time favourites on this forum, very probably with good reason.
I guess if it pushes your buttons, go for it.

Am I the only one never to have brewed it?
How many others do not enjoy Amarillo hops?

Edit: This post is NO disrespect to DrSmurto, just my personal preference, nothing more.

I was one of the first to see this post and I still reckon the IBU are too Low and and have found that coupling cascade with Amarillo give a more desirable end product.
I also use perle for bittering.

Thats my 2c worth
:)
Matti

Though I don't knock Dr Smurto's ale. it is a ripper :D

Then don't post a reply!!! as the mods have requested, "ensure that topics are kept informative" :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

QldKev

Why did you edit my post.
I was responding to the post before mine and included the quote. You chose to delete the quote I was responding to and quoted me out of context.

Thx for the recipe. I was searching something to brew with my NZ Hops. I've brewed it yesterday in an adapted extract version:
NZ Golden Ale
23-A Specialty Beer

Grosseur: 19.3 L
Efficience: 75.0%
Attnuation: 75.0%
Calories: 170.33 kcal per 12.0 fl oz

Densit Initiale: 1.051 (1.026 - 1.120)
|============#===================|
Densit finale: 1.013 (0.995 - 1.035)
|===============#================|
Couleur: 22.8 (1.97 - 98.5)
|===========#====================|
Alcool: 5.03% (2.5% - 14.5%)
|===========#====================|
Amertume: 34.7 (0.0 - 100.0)
|=============#==================|

Ingrdients:
2.5 kg Dry Light
100 g Toasted Pale Malt
300 g Caramunich TYPE I
25 g Amarillo (8.4%) - Ajout l'bullition bouilli 60 min
15 g Amarillo (8.4%) - Ajout l'bullition bouilli 10 min
1 tsp Wyeast Nutrient - Ajout l'bullition bouilli 10 min
1.5 tsp Irish Moss - Ajout l'bullition bouilli 10 min
15 g Amarillo (8.4%) - Ajout l'bullition bouilli 5 min
15 g Amarillo (8.4%) - Tremp aprs bullition
1 ea Fermentis US-05 Safale US-05
15 g Amarillo (8.4%) - Ajout cr dans le fermenteur secondaire

Notes
http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/index.php?autocom=recipedb&code=show&recipe=502

Rsultats gnrs par BeerTools Pro 1.5.2

Will dry hop in the secondary.

Dom

This beer has just gotten better and better. freshly carbed with little-no cold conditioning, was kinda meh, but having let it settle out, treating with gelatin, i must say 1469 is in fact an excellent yeast to use with this one. it's quite a different beer to the 1056/us-05 variety, i think i blamed the yeast when i tried this batch too early...

I have a keg of this grainbill/yeast on tap with simco for bittering, simcoe/amarillo falvour, amarillo for aroma, first week it was a bit fanta like, but second week its got lovely toffee and caramel undertones and light citrusy aromas, its just delcious.

I have a keg of this grainbill/yeast on tap with simco for bittering, simcoe/amarillo falvour, amarillo for aroma, first week it was a bit fanta like, but second week its got lovely toffee and caramel undertones and light citrusy aromas, its just delcious.

Yes the Dr's GA really mellows and shines in it's fourth week in the keg that's if you can leave it for that long

brewed this yesterday as my AG cherry popper...

I didn't meet all my targets but Im still working out my AG kit.. Hopfully still comes out nice... im sure it will.. can't wait!

I found that this recipe gives incredible head *cough*.

I'm using Celli taps, and no matter how much I restrict the flow, I get a glass consisting almost completely of foam.

I haven't had this problem with any other recipes, and I wonder if its because of the large amount of wheat?

Originally I thought it might be overgassed, so I disconnected it from the gas and burped it every few hours over a day or two, until no more gas was being burped. This didn't really seem to improve things.

I had problems with cup-o-foam then I balanced my keg system with a 3m beer line.. now when my taps are cold I get a perfect beer each time.. 3m for me = roughly 100kpa carb AND pouring presure... leave and forget...

edit: my balance was worked out with 5mm beer line, tap was placed 60cm up from the middle of the keg..

Back