RecipeDB - DrSmurto's Golden Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
JEEZUZ!!

I just tapped my 5th batch of this recipe and it is the best beer I have ever made!! - Easy! 36 BIAB's in and I have found god!

It was a full 7kg grain bill BIAB, then added 2kg of LDME and 1kg dex - topped up to 44L [Double batch, giant partial I guess] All the others have been single AG biabs... AND just too much Amarillo! Don't get me wrong, I love me hops but usually end up drinking pretty green beer so notice the hopping more than most! BTW this is

Anyway, ran it hot [22 deg] cause I needed beer due to my first EVER un-drinkable batch... long story.

SO I dropped the hopping by 10g each addition and ran out of Amarillo so dry hopped Cascade in the fermenter...

Unfortunately, it is only 8% :p but the balance of flavours is amazing!

Cheers again Dr. it is this and your LL that keeps the taps being a place of joy at Casa de Cocko!

NB: LDME added at 15 to boil to avoid clumping, dex added when water top up before pitching...

So in the end it looks like this:

View attachment 28235

Please send help, I am in trouble hear - an awesome tasting beer that is 8%... Oh dear.... Should I call in sick now? ;)

What other hops have people tried and tested as replacements for amarillo in this recipe? I have read the post and see that people have used and rate a cascade/amarillo mix. Also that galaxy was used but not rated.

I know this is a bit of a personal taste question but peoples experiences with different hops and the same malt bill would be useful. I have about a kilo of different hops and no amarillo left. :unsure:

What other hops have people tried and tested as replacements for amarillo in this recipe? I have read the post and see that people have used and rate a cascade/amarillo mix. Also that galaxy was used but not rated.

I will be kegging one later this week where I used a combination of Nelson Sauvin & B-Saaz.

The hydro sample certainly tastes good.

cliffo

I know this is a bit of a personal taste question but peoples experiences with different hops and the same malt bill would be useful. I have about a kilo of different hops and no amarillo left. :unsure:

I reckon centennial, simcoe, or columbus would go down nicely, edging towards centennial out of the 3...

Or for NZ hops, maybe subtle additions of Sauvin, or some D Saaz, but it would change the beer considerably IMO

What hops do you have available?

Ok i've been subbing the bittering hops, not the flavoring as i want to keep that smack of Amarillo. :icon_drool2: :chug:
I did a batch with Nelson Savioun as the bittering 60min addition and it does taste a bit more sort of citrus like but the change is subtle.
I have a batch in the fermenter atm which is using Cascade as the bittering addition but haven't tasted it yet (dry hopped today).

Not that i recommend stuffing with the original recipe, it's a dead set pearler, it's just what i had laying around at the time (and cutting brew costs).

Dr Smurto's is the main brew in my house now, it's what is in the fermenter every 2nd brew and i'm clearing out old stock of other brews to free up bottles for the good stuff...

hey lastdrinks!

i did a all styrian goldings version the other week <AG>, just about to bottle this week, tastes great out of the fermenter. I will post my results on this thread when it is ready!!

Thanks for the responses. i have an original amarillo recipe in the fermentor as we speak but i just thought a recipe this good and popular cant be all down to the hops. The grain bill must be worth keeping for a few brews and playing with the hops.
Below is what i have in the fridge

Green Bullet
Galaxy
Pacific Gem
First Gold
Fuggles
Brewers Gold
Saaz
Hallertau Tradition
Tettang
Cascade
Galena

Thanks for the responses. i have an original amarillo recipe in the fermentor as we speak but i just thought a recipe this good and popular cant be all down to the hops. The grain bill must be worth keeping for a few brews and playing with the hops.

Green Bullet
Galaxy
Pacific Gem
First Gold
Fuggles
Brewers Gold
Saaz
Hallertau Tradition
Tettang
Cascade
Galena

Good point, it is a great grain bill... but if aint broke! ;)

Fair point. It is a bit sacrileges to post it here as well, must be the winter solstice bringing it out in me :rolleyes:

Green Bullet
Galaxy
Pacific Gem
First Gold
Fuggles
Brewers Gold
Saaz
Hallertau Tradition
Tettang
Cascade
Galena

Hmmn, Bitter with Galaxy, flavor with Cascade. :icon_drool2:

Gavo.

If my limited experience of amarillo is anything to go by (and it probably isn't) then I think the amarillo hops are an integral part of the flavour.

That said the inventor of the brew has suggested doing various substitutions. Why not make as is then start playing with a few changes for comparison if you think it's a good brew?

If my limited experience of amarillo is anything to go by (and it probably isn't) then I think the amarillo hops are an integral part of the flavour.

Yes.. that is correct. If you use different hops its not a JSGA clone or a smurto clone for that matter. Its a Golen ale inspired beer. Either way would still make a decent APA. IPA, ESB etc, etc. depending on your choice of hops and yeast.

Ive had my own version of a golden ale recipe sitting in my recipe db for around 2 years now. I know my extract version was tops so this should hopefully be a cracker. Im interested to see how this goes. i did do a few small edits thiseveing with my extra brewing wisdom of another 2 years. I adjusted the bases slightly by a few % points and added dark crystal. The hops are spot on! Oh, i added water additions as well to get those hops to sing like a bird! Might do this on my next brew day.

Beers! :icon_cheers:

JS Golden Ale
American Pale Ale

Type: All Grain
Batch Size: 23.00 L
Brewer: Braden
Boil Size: 30.90 L Asst Brewer:
Boil Time: 60 min Equipment: My Brew Pot (40L) and Frosty Cooler (38L)
Brewhouse Efficiency: 68.0

Ingredients
Amount Item Type % or IBU
3.50 kg Pale Malt, Traditional Ale (Joe White) (1.7 SRM) Grain 66.7 %
1.00 kg Wheat Malt, Malt Craft (Joe White) (2.0 SRM) Grain 19.0 %
0.40 kg Munich I (Weyermann) (7.1 SRM) Grain 7.6 %
0.25 kg Caramalt (Joe White) (17.3 SRM) Grain 4.8 %
0.10 kg Crystal, Dark (Joe White) (86.7 SRM) Grain 1.9 %
30.00 gm Amarillo [8.20%] (60 min) (First Wort Hop) Hops 30.6 IBU
20.00 gm Amarillo [8.20%] (10 min) Hops 6.7 IBU
30.00 gm Amarillo [8.20%] (0 min) (Aroma Hop-Steep) Hops -
0.50 tsp Baking Soda (Mash 60.0 min) Misc
2.00 tsp Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Mash 60.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs American Ale (Wyeast Labs #1056) Yeast-Ale

Beer Profile
Est Original Gravity: 1.049 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.012 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 4.8 %
Bitterness: 37.3 IBU
Est Color: 6.5 SRM

Mash Profile
Name Description Step Temp Step Time
Mash In Add 13.69 L of water at 71.2 C 65.0 C 75 min
Mash Out Add 8.76 L of water at 98.5 C 77.0 C 10 min

Notes
add Salts 1/2 to mash 1/2 to boil

An 8% version Cocko? Sounds like a lot of fun!

As for hop substitution, i've used simcoe for bittering in the last few batches. Some batches i push for more flavour, less aroma, other times i swap that around.

Having tasted my home grown chinook APA, which to my tastes and others is more like B Saaz than US chinook, i would be tempted to do a B Saaz version maybe even in combo with cascade and make it a Golden Bright Ale (or Bright Golden Ale.....will work out the naming rights with Tony later!).

The recent AMB SMaSH challenge used green bullet and that made some very nice beers so that would work well..

And all styrian golden ale :icon_drool2: - scrumpy, please let me know how that one turns out!

Lots of galaxy being used so reckon that would work, i have a pack of it myself and planned on doing the original golden ale recipe subbing only the hops.

Cheers :beerbang:
DrSmurto

I've made this recipe with the Wyermann Grain and now going to try with subing some with Joe White..

I loved the taste with all Wyermann how much difference does the Joe White make?

Just tasting an extract version of the Dr's Golden ale with the light malt subbed for Coopers ND malt (medium amber) with the can of wheat malt and steeped caramalt.

The hopping was changed a little with Simcoe for 60 mins with Cascade / Amarillo for the 15min, 5min, and dry hopping.

Fg came to 1011.

All my mates love it ! :icon_drool2:

Thanks Dr Smurto, this had been my best effort yet!

Cheers Coops :beerbang:

I've made this recipe with the Weyermann Grain and now going to try with subing some with Joe White..

I loved the taste with all Weyermann how much difference does the Joe White make?

I've used JW trad and JW caramalt in this recipe and it went down a treat. See the notes under the recipe for comments.

I've used JW trad and JW caramalt in this recipe and it went down a treat. See the notes under the recipe for comments.

I have this on tap ATM, will be looking forward to seeing what the creator thinks of it!!!

Cheers

I haven't tried my batch of Golden Ale (late hopping edition) for about 3 months now... the first 10 or so after 2 weeks were very hoppy, real stand out flavour and potent aroma... but I did go higher in IBU's than the stock recipe and did a 60min boil but only started hopping at 20min mark.

Bring us to now... the flavour and aroma is still there, but the malt character has really developed...it tastes unlike other US-05 PA's I've done... this is a really special beer, one of my best I'd say.

All other brew plans on hold... I need to do another batch of this one!!

Im currently brewing a GoldenAle and I want to brew another straight after.. can I just pour it on the old yeast cake?

If I can.... What do I have to do??

Back