RecipeDB - DrSmurto's Golden Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just put one down today been off tap for far to long so cant wait for it to be in the keg

hey..

just kegged the following.. had a taste from my final sample and it was great! was drinking a JS golden ale at the same time did a side by side and it was o-so close...

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
2.76 kg Pilsner, Malt Craft Export (Joe White) (1.Grain 56.91 %
0.92 kg Munich I (Weyermann) (7.1 SRM) Grain 18.97 %
0.92 kg Wheat Malt, Malt Craft (Joe White) (1.8 SRGrain 18.97 %
0.25 kg Crystal (Joe White) (72.0 SRM) Grain 5.15 %
20.00 gm Amarillo [8.90 %] (60 min) Hops 19.5 IBU
15.00 gm Amarillo [8.90 %] (Dry Hop 7 days) Hops -
15.00 gm Amarillo [8.90 %] (10 min) Hops 5.3 IBU
15.00 gm Amarillo [8.90 %] (5 min) Hops 2.9 IBU
0.50 items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs SafAle American Ale (DCL Yeast #US-05(56))Yeast-Ale

Currently brewing the following...

2.76 kg Pale Malt, Traditional Ale (Joe White) (3.0 SRM) Grain 56.91 %
0.92 kg Munich I (Weyermann) (7.1 SRM) Grain 18.97 %
0.92 kg Wheat Malt, Malt Craft (Joe White) (1.8 SRM) Grain 18.97 %
0.25 kg Carahell (Weyermann) (13.0 SRM) Grain 5.15 %
20.00 gm Amarillo [8.90 %] (60 min) Hops 18.5 IBU
15.00 gm Amarillo [8.90 %] (20 min) Hops 8.4 IBU
15.00 gm Amarillo [8.90 %] (0 min) Hops -
0.50 items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs SafAle American Ale (DCL Yeast #US-05(56)) Yeast-Ale

Lets hope this'll be awesome too :)

DrSmurto's I love this recipe.. Im putting on a keg at my Bday in a few weeks lets hope others like it to :)

when bottling this, what is the suitable lenght before drinking it? does it keep well? doing this for a vic swap...

i would say not to let it sit around unless you can maintain a constant temp gava as it may draw off a few of the hop flavours / aroma's this beer seems to bring to the table.

I like this beer fairly fresh but then again i wouldn't know what it tastes like aged because it never makes it that far

Kleiny

i would say not to let it sit around unless you can maintain a constant temp gava as it may draw off a few of the hop flavours / aroma's this beer seems to bring to the table.

I like this beer fairly fresh but then again i wouldn't know what it tastes like aged because it never makes it that far

Kleiny

Yeah same, I think we had drank ours before the 3 week mark. Just had it on tap didnt last long either. It was buggered up tho as I ran out of gas and it missed out on all the flavour. Used US04 on this beer and I dont think I like it gave the beer this fruity taste I was not fond of.

Made a similar recipe with a little more hops do deplete stock and I had it in bottle for over 3 months.
Bewdiful was the comments I got....
wow DR Smurto Beer thread 17 pages.... and growing....

I can temp control it as long as I need to... just trying to get my dates ready so I know when i should brew this...
I just gave away most of my longnecks to.. thats what we require?

Kleiny

when bottling this, what is the suitable lenght before drinking it? does it keep well? doing this for a vic swap...

As others have noted, the aroma will dissipate with time.

I like it both ways :eek: :lol:

Fresh its an APA (albeit at the very low end of the scale in ABV and IBU) with plenty of hop aroma.

Older its more like an english pale ale with the malt starting to take centre stage.

As others have noted, the aroma will dissipate with time.

I like it both ways :eek: :lol:

Fresh its an APA (albeit at the very low end of the scale in ABV and IBU) with plenty of hop aroma.

Older its more like an english pale ale with the malt starting to take centre stage.

Its ******* divine regardless!!

No one has drank a bottle of mine (apart from SWMBO), im like a dog with a bone!
Which is probably why I didn't send you the 6-pack Doc :p

But, if you need ever need someone to ride shotgun on a brewday I'll gladly bring a dozen or so around :p

Im putting a Keg of this on for my bday next sat and have another one in the fermenter to be kegged that morning ready for the next weekend :) I LOVE IT!!

No one has drank a bottle of mine (apart from SWMBO), im like a dog with a bone!
Which is probably why I didn't send you the 6-pack Doc :p

Looking forward to brewing this on Friday. Following the recipe to the letter. Sounds like a mouth watering recipe.
Thanks DrS.

I have quite a fair bit of Nelson Sauvin left over from my last brew and was wondering whether it would be okay to use with this recipe. I also have about 40g Green Bullet flowers too which I thought may be useful for the bittering addition. Any thoughts?

Being still new to ag after 10 or so brews i managed to hit the nail on the with this once or twice (oh i pretty much only brew golden ale)
anyway after chasing that elusive effieciency number i managed to get further and further away from what i wanted by brewing something with more body then i was after.. still nice just not a session beer like the original was
Anyway long story short went down to Marks Home Brew with a sample and he picked it straight away.. ive been pushing up the temps to try and extract more sugarz not really taking into account that i was changing the style at the same time

anyway back to basics again mash low, throw efficiency numbers out the window and just brew :p
Oh and i might just skip this brew next time and make that Damn seductive Single addition Saaz that Mark let me sample the wort of.

You know things are getting bad when your getting excited over the flavors of Wort

Tom

I have quite a fair bit of Nelson Sauvin left over from my last brew and was wondering whether it would be okay to use with this recipe. I also have about 40g Green Bullet flowers too which I thought may be useful for the bittering addition. Any thoughts?

I used NS as the 60m bittering addition and it was a nice brew, you can really only taste a slight difference between that and the original recipe but I'm not sure if the recipe would swing further away if it was the 10min addition as well. If you use Amarillo as the dry hop it will probably be ok though.

This recipie was my first ever AG and was done only a few weeks ago. Will be sampling the first bottle later this week.

Having said that, I pretty much know what I'm in for taste-wise, due to the fact that I drank 2 pints of the stuff straight from the fermenter while bottling. First time i've ever done that. Tasted real nice :beerbang:

great beer DR.......this was my first AG, my 3rd AG and this weekend im making it my 10th!!!

the 3rd was an all styrian goldings version very diff to the original but a great beer in its own right!!! had a lovely honey..ish flavour with 'piney' aromas in the nose..wel worth a try.. I think its safe to say this is on its way to being my house ale!!! also good to experement different hop variatys on. :D

Styrian....hmm i'm gonna try that, i just got the grain crushed for a 4th Smurto.

A mate came around lastnight and brewed a this recipe although I wasn't happy because I just tweaked my equipment from my last brew and lastnight my mate hit every mark even volumes to a tee!!! very jealous its not my beer :)

once again it smelt fantastic from mash to boil... love it!!!! luckly we had some on tap also so we could taste what it was going to taste like :)

cheers Dr S.....

by the way went through two kegs on my birthday and i had a lot of "megaswill" left over the next day from people drinking the Golden Ale instead of what they brought to the party.. in my books thats a good beer right there...

I just put down my first extract version of this recipe, cant wait for it to be ready.
Hops and caramalt smelt awsome just before turning the heat off.

Back