RecipeDB - DrSmurto's Golden Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After a little help with hop additions for this one. I only have 25g Amarillo left, but i have heaps of cascase, tettnang, POR, northern brewer, saaz, magnum and southern cross. Ive just been down to my LHBS and he diddnt have any Amarillo. What should i use?

Cheers

Paul

After a little help with hop additions for this one. I only have 25g Amarillo left, but i have heaps of cascase, tettnang, POR, northern brewer, saaz, magnum and southern cross. Ive just been down to my LHBS and he diddnt have any Amarillo. What should i use?

Cheers

Paul

I'd suggest the easiest thing would be subbing the early additions with cascade and using the amarillo in the late additions.

You could use the POR or NB even as a bittering hop and late use the amarillo and I'd don't think you'd have too much variation from the theme.

Its the late amarillo that is the signature of this recipe.

I noticed in someones 1st AG post a while back a pic of one of these packs with my name on the label.

Yeah that was mine.. came from BB with your name all over it :)

Cheers

Paul

Cascade blends beautifully with amarillo.

As FGZ said if you only have 25g leave it for late additions.

Thanks for the help guys :) , ive ended up going with 25g POR @ 60, 15g Cascase @ 10, 15g Amarillo @ flameout and 20g Amarillo in secondary. Hows that sound?

Hi guys,

I am looking at doing this as my second brew attempt. The only LHB store I have been to in Perth in Brewcraft is Ozzie Park. I didn't see they had any Coopers stock there.

Any ideas where I could get the ingredients to make the kit version of this, either online or in a shop close to the CBD?

Cheers

Hi guys,

I am looking at doing this as my second brew attempt. The only LHB store I have been to in Perth in Brewcraft is Ozzie Park. I didn't see they had any Coopers stock there.

Any ideas where I could get the ingredients to make the kit version of this, either online or in a shop close to the CBD?

Cheers

Stock road markets, deliverence homebrewing - is a really good hb shop with a great supply of just about anything you will need for hb'ing, great hops and yeasts selection,grains,tins,sugars etc etc

Thanks, DrSmurto... JSGA is just not the same anymore! I brewed the award-winning version, and I love it. Can't wait to tap the keg...

pants.

brewed this up using the following

thomas coopers sparkling
coopers LLME
200gm carapils
cascade 15gm @15, @5, @0

absolutely fantastic even considering i didnt have any amarillo and the lhbs didnt have light crystal
will be definitely making this regularly.

I'm looking at making this bad boy, but being a n00b to specialty grains, I was wondering what sort of difference using JWM Crystal 140 would have over Caramalt?? I only asked because I'll have some Crystal left over from a prior brew and it would save me buying more :p

I'm looking at making this bad boy, but being a n00b to specialty grains, I was wondering what sort of difference using JWM Crystal 140 would have over Caramalt?? I only asked because I'll have some Crystal left over from a prior brew and it would save me buying more :p

I say go for it and report back. :icon_cheers:

Thanks for the help guys :) , ive ended up going with 25g POR @ 60, 15g Cascase @ 10, 15g Amarillo @ flameout and 20g Amarillo in secondary. Hows that sound?

Hi,

That would be the go as in my opinion for what it is worth cascade is not the best for a bittering addition.
I often use EKG or NB for bittering with the cascade or whatever fruity hop for the flavour /aroma/ dry etc.
Anyway sounds good!

Cheers

Are you meant to get any phenolic flavours in this beer?

Made the following and I think it has a medium phenolic flavour (but not 100%, just seems to taste like a lighter Hoeegarden flavour)

3kg LME
.5kg Dry Wheat Extract
250g Crystal

20g Amarillo 60mins
20g Amarillo 20mins
20g Amarillo 5mins
20g Amarillo Dryhop about 7 days.

US-05 yeast.

Here's my latest No-Chill variation of DSGA
Cubed last week and now have a spare fermenter spot

Have made it with 10g/10g late hop additions :icon_drool2:
But thought I'd up it to 15g/15g this time

BeerSmith Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: 51 Amarillo Gold MKII
Brewer: finners
Asst Brewer:
Style: English Special or Best Bitter
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 22.00 L
Boil Size: 26.57 L
Estimated OG: 1.049 SG
Estimated Color: 14.1 EBC
Estimated IBU: 16.4 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.0 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
2.50 kg MaltEurop Australia Ale (3.5 EBC) Grain 54.3 %
0.90 kg Munich Light (Weyermann) (14.0 EBC) Grain 19.6 %
0.90 kg Wheat Malt (Barrett Burston) (3.0 EBC) Grain 19.6 %
0.30 kg Caramunich I (Weyermann) (90.0 EBC) Grain 6.5 %
20.00 gm Amarillo Gold [8.20%] (40 min) Hops 16.4 IBU
15.00 gm Amarillo Gold [8.20%] (0 min) Hops -
15.00 gm Amarillo Gold [8.20%] (0 min) (Aroma Hop-Hops -
1.00 items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs Harvested 500ml Starter (Fermentis #US-05)Yeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Light Body
Total Grain Weight: 4.60 kg
----------------------------
Name Description Step Temp Step Time
Mash In Add 12.00 L of water at 71.9 C 65.6 C 75 min
Mash Out Add 7.68 L of water at 93.5 C 75.6 C 10 min

Notes:
------
1st 0min hops added at flameout/start of 20 minute whirlpool
2nd 0min Aroma hops added to kettle 5 minutes before draining to no chill cube

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Can i ask the dumbest question you may ever hear

If i only want to a make 10 litre amount, would i just half all the ingredients? is that how it works?

Yep, halving all the ingredients will work just fine. The only thing to remember is that your boil evaporation will stay basically the same as your usual brew so you may need to tweak your volumes to ensure you finish with 10L :)

Tasted my kit version of the famous Dr Smurto Golden Ale and I must admit it wasn't really to my liking.

My first brew was the standard Coopers Kit and I am quite enjoying that. Not much flavour but very easy drinking - tastes like a carlton natural blonde to me.

The Dr Smurto has a fairly strong aroma and flavour (I assume this is the Amarillo) and a bit bitter I think. It has only been conditioned for 12 days - so I might leave the other 28 bottles until Xmas.

What changes in flavour and aroma will another 7 weeks of conditioning give it do you think ?

Also, I am about to bottle a Grape and Grain FWK - it is looking very very cloudy at this stage - but smells like nice beer.

Digger

The G&G FWK's are "no chilled", straight into those 17L cubes, so you're bound to get cloudiness because of no cold break. I've done a few and they're always good. Try dry hopping after a few days in the fermenter too ;) .

Bowie

Bowie,

Yeah, I followed this recipe from their Website.

1. Australian Premium Lager
Boil 20 grams of Tettnang hops for 10 minutes in 1 litre of water. Turn off the heat. Add 20 grams more Tettnang hops and leave to soak for 1-2 minutes. Pour through a kitchen strainer into your fermenter.

Add 2 litres of cold water, the wort kit and pitch the yeast. Saflager 34-70 or Wyeast 2124 or 2278 would be good choices. Ferment at 10 12 degrees. Or you could use a US56 yeast and ferment at 18 22 degrees.

Using US56 (OR 05) yeast.

Feels a bit like cheating in buying the Wort - but if it tastes good then I will be happy.

Digger

Back