RecipeDB - DrSmurto's Golden Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just did a double batch 2 weeks ago one was all grain LCBA and the other was Docs Golden Ale.l did an extract version of this, it's sitting in the secondary with 15g of saaz hops thats all the hops l had left (make note buy more hops) so far the hydro tastes great can't waite to bottle it, which will be this wednesday.Thanks heaps to all AHBers on this site who have turned me into a beer drinker. :beerbang:

Beer Belly

Question: Does this really need 14 days in the primary? Mine's been down for 8 already, it's reached 1.012, theres no krausen and im itching to free up my fermenter for another batch.... Thoughts?

Leaving beer for a bit longer, even when FG is reached, allows the yeast to clean up after itself so unwanted flavours can dissipate. Your best option is to buy another fermenter. My beers have improved tenfold since I became less concerned with getting them in the bottle just becasue I could.

manticle, i find if i take mine out early i just need to drink 2 or 3 then i dont notice any difference, should give it go.

Yes I find if I get really hammered in the afternoon that my crap beers taste less crap too.

I'll add a +1 for leaving it longer.

If you dont have fermenter space then get a couple of cubes, jerries etc and rack into them to leave for a week or 2 to condition and get another brew happening in the fermenter. A little patience will give a big payoff

+2 for leaving in the fermenter for two weeks...

my normal time line for this drop is two weeks in the fermenter two weeks kegged... (granted a few times its lasted only one week in the keg because I've tapped it) :) such a good drop.

hey!!

ive just punched this into beersmith for a 23L batch of MR SMURTOS BEER. ive done 2 others the first i followed to the T (amarrilo) the next was an all cascade version..
this one i've upped the grain bill to achieve the larger batch size.. also thought of doing this one to 40 IBU with a heap of styrian goldings i have in the freezer, also might use wyeast 1056 american ale. Id like to get some opinions on it...

when i upped the IBU in beersmith it only increased the "boiling" hops... ya recon the 78 grams (4.8 AA) is too much.

2.75 pilsner
.920 munich
.920 wheat
.290 caramunich

78g styriann goldings 60min
25g 10min
20gm 5min
10gm 0min

cheers for any input dudes!!! :icon_cheers:

I was thinking of using the grain bill from this recipe to use up a some of my old hops, I'll try keep the ibu in the same ball park Im just not to sure what hops would go well together outa my selection of left overs. here is what i've got..

25g willamete
45g perle
75g styrian goldings
80g saaz
60g fuggles
15g chinook
25g challenger
45g target

my first thoughts where to use target for bittering then challenger somewhere in the boil then maybe try willamette at the end of the boil.....Ive aso seen people using perle in american pale ales, what do you think??

oh ive done the drs original recepie 3 times now all have been great bees.

cheers!

I was thinking of using the grain bill from this recipe to use up a some of my old hops, I'll try keep the ibu in the same ball park Im just not to sure what hops would go well together outa my selection of left overs. here is what i've got..

25g willamete
45g perle
75g styrian goldings
80g saaz
60g fuggles
15g chinook
25g challenger
45g target

my first thoughts where to use target for bittering then challenger somewhere in the boil then maybe try willamette at the end of the boil.....Ive aso seen people using perle in american pale ales, what do you think??

oh ive done the drs original recepie 3 times now all have been great bees.

cheers!

Dont know all those hops but I would FWH with chinook, 45min addition of Saaz and last min with Goldings.
But I do things funny

Been doing pale ales (JW Trad, Wheat, JW Cara )with POR FWH, Cascade 45 min and either Cascade or Amarillo or both at flameout or just before. Beers are Gooooood

Dont know all those hops but I would FWH with chinook, 45min addition of Saaz and last min with Goldings.
But I do things funny

Been doing pale ales (JW Trad, Wheat, JW Cara )with POR FWH, Cascade 45 min and either Cascade or Amarillo or both at flameout or just before. Beers are Gooooood

cheers mantis....what is FWH? does saaz really work well in pale ales?

Jeate - do it! All styrian ales are gorgeous!

Its a lot of late hopping so this isnt going to be a subtle beer!

Scrumpy - I'd be tempted to bitter with target, challenger at 15 and chinook at 5.

Might have already been answered..... but will it make much difference using Joe White grains instead of Weyermann grains?

Thanks
Ben

The beer that scored 46/50 at last year's ANAWBS used JW ale and caramalt instead of Wey Pils and Wey Caramunich.

And i noticed that Beerbelly sells both versions of the golden ale now as packs - All JW and all weyermann!

And i noticed that Beerbelly sells both versions of the golden ale now as packs - All JW and all weyermann!
Maybe I'm reading this wrong...

Are you saying that Beerbelly sell packs like Grumpy's Boston Cream Masterbrew and they have a version
of your Golden Ale?

I had a look at their site but couldn't find anything.

Maybe I'm reading this wrong...

Are you saying that Beerbelly sell packs like Grumpy's Boston Cream Masterbrew and they have a version
of your Golden Ale?

I had a look at their site but couldn't find anything.

Its not on their site but they get asked for it regularly so they pre-pack it.

Its on the shelves when you go in there.

Absolutely, i am chuffed.

Wayne and i had a chat about it and he asked me whether i minded him doing that.

I had no issues as long as my name was stuck to the recipe (or at least credit given).

I noticed in someones 1st AG post a while back a pic of one of these packs with my name on the label.

Brewing a double batch of this recipe on the weekend to take away with a bunch of mates on a camping trip. Wanted an easy drinking beer.

Back