RecipeDB - DrSmurto's Golden Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ANAWBS Style Guidelines for special/best/premium bitter:

Aroma: The best examples have some malt aroma, often (but not always) with a caramel quality. Mild to
moderate fruitiness. Hop aroma can range from moderate to none (UK varieties typically, although US
varieties may be used
). Generally no diacetyl, although very low levels are allowed.

Appearance: Medium gold to medium copper. Good to brilliant clarity. Low to moderate white to offwhite
head. May have very little head due to low carbonation.

Flavor: Medium to high bitterness. Most have moderately low to moderately high fruity esters. Moderate to
low hop flavor (earthy, resiny, and/or floral UK varieties typically, although US varieties may be used). Low
to medium maltiness with a dry finish. Caramel flavors are common but not required. Balance is often
decidedly bitter, although the bitterness should not completely overpower the malt flavor, esters and hop
flavor. Generally no diacetyl, although very low levels are allowed.

Mouthfeel: Medium-light to medium body. Carbonation low, although bottled and canned commercial
examples can have moderate carbonation.

Overall Impression: A flavorful, yet refreshing, session beer. Some examples can be more malt balanced,
but this should not override the overall bitter impression. Drinkability is a critical component of the style;
emphasis is still on the bittering hop addition as opposed to the aggressive middle and late hopping seen in
American ales.
------

When I tried it on judging day, it came across to me as florally/resiny more than citrus. Either way, it was YUMMY!

Fiddle away

I fiddled with earlier in the year. Dropped the caramel and instead of Amarillo bittered with Horizon and used NS for the late hop additions. 'Twas a cracker.
The latest has been brewed to spec. For some reason, the US-05 is proving a bit slow to drop out this time round........

6 pages, this beer has a bit of a fan base...

Mike's DrSmurto's Golden Ale

2.40 kg Pilsner (2 Row) Bel (3.9 EBC) Grain 56.5 %
0.80 kg Munich Malt - 10L (19.7 EBC) Grain 18.8 %
0.80 kg Wheat Malt, Bel (3.9 EBC) Grain 18.8 %
0.25 kg BB Crystal Malt - Grain 5.9 %
20.00 gm Amarillo Gold [8.50%] (50 min) Hops 20.0 IBU
20.00 gm Amarillo Gold [8.50%] (5 min) Hops 4.2 IBU
20.00 gm Amarillo Gold [8.50%] (0 min) Hops -
20.00 gm Amarillo Gold [8.50%] (Dry Hop 3 days) Hops -

Pitched with WY1332 - Brewed at "Sexy Beer" Temperatures - not by choice tho :p

i only had BB Crystal at the time (10kg thereof o_O), i like Amarillo waay too much to only use 15g additions and the adjusted boil times were to try and compensate for 'no-chill' in the kettle complete with hops :D

very fruity, a bit of a bite from being very young, should mellow out over the next week or so. just gassed and poured today so hopefully time will clean it up a little and hopefully it'll still be around by then. despite brewing between 22-26C this beer still rocks (then again, for me, no estery goodness = yawn)

Made another batch, drank another batch. They sure don't last long with mates around. My latest had 45g Amarillo dry-hopped, there was also dex added to the boil for a very low finishing gravity. Stronger aroma and hop flavour. Enjoyed by all!

Has anyone made this with No Chill? I'm just wondering if anyone has altered the hopping schedule to take account of NC (I'm aware that there is a separate thread on NC bitterness)

FYI - I recently made it (with NC) and found the bitterness to be a bit overpowering.

hi rukh,

i have had similar experiences with the bitterness of NC and have just put the following down, i am trying cube hopping for the aroma and less bittering than the last one i completed, my last batch was around 32IBU so will do a side by side once this one is finished. im hoping for more aroma, flavour and less bitterness.

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 23.00 L
Boil Size: 31.41 L
Estimated OG: 1.049 SG
Estimated Color: 19.9 EBC
Estimated IBU: 28.8 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
2.50 kg Pale Malt, Traditional Ale (Joe White) (5.Grain 51.55 %
1.00 kg Munich II (Weyermann) (22.0 EBC) Grain 20.62 %
0.80 kg Wheat Malt, Malt Craft (Joe White) (3.5 EBGrain 16.49 %
0.35 kg Caramunich II (Weyermann) (124.1 EBC) Grain 7.22 %
0.20 kg Carahell (Weyermann) (25.0 EBC) Grain 4.12 %
14.00 gm Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] (Dry Hop 5 days) Hops -
10.00 gm Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] (60 min) Hops 9.1 IBU
15.00 gm Northern Brewer [8.50 %] (60 min) Hops 13.6 IBU
16.00 gm Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] (12 min) Hops 6.1 IBU
16.00 gm Amarillo Gold cube hop [8.50 %] (0 min) Hops -
1.00 items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs SafAle US05 (DCL Yeast #US-05) Yeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: 2 Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 4.85 kg
----------------------------
2 Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
60 min Mash In Add 11.49 L of water at 73.6 C 66.2 C

Pitched with WY1332 - Brewed at "Sexy Beer" Temperatures - not by choice tho :p

i only had BB Crystal at the time (10kg thereof o_O), i like Amarillo waay too much to only use 15g additions and the adjusted boil times were to try and compensate for 'no-chill' in the kettle complete with hops :D

very fruity, a bit of a bite from being very young, should mellow out over the next week or so. just gassed and poured today so hopefully time will clean it up a little and hopefully it'll still be around by then. despite brewing between 22-26C this beer still rocks (then again, for me, no estery goodness = yawn)

I quite regularly ferment at 20-22C to try and force the yeast into ester production, more so when using a good english ale yeast but also with US05.

Made another batch, drank another batch. They sure don't last long with mates around. My latest had 45g Amarillo dry-hopped, there was also dex added to the boil for a very low finishing gravity. Stronger aroma and hop flavour. Enjoyed by all!

45g dry hop. The aroma would have climbed out of the glass and slapped you across the face.

I like it!

Have another batch ccing now. WIll be dry hopping this one as its being kegged (i dont dry hop if being bottled - prob the reason why the bottled version is more english than the kegged version.....

45g dry hop. The aroma would have climbed out of the glass and slapped you across the face.

Note nearly as much as I figured it would. The beer was a bit grassy at first, then smoothed out perfectly after 3 weeks total in the bottle.

I have some fresh 1272 American ale 2 in the fridge waiting for something to chew on............ might give this a go with Pils and some caramalt, low mash temp for a summer quaffer.

What else is one to do with a heap of amarillo?

I never brew other peoples recipes for some reason but this one seems proven enough to me. Too many bad experiences with Net and book based recipes.

cheers

I brewed this a few months back changed the bittering hops to northern brewer and didnt dry hopp, still drinking it and really enjoying it , next time i might hit it with a handfull at flame out

I have some fresh 1272 American ale 2 in the fridge waiting for something to chew on............ might give this a go with Pils and some caramalt, low mash temp for a summer quaffer.

What else is one to do with a heap of amarillo?

I never brew other peoples recipes for some reason but this one seems proven enough to me. Too many bad experiences with Net and book based recipes.

cheers
1272 + Amarillo work well together.

I recently did a batch that got a bit higher in temp (21/22) and I really didn't need to dry hop with the fruity aroma I got from the 1272!

Has anyone made this with No Chill? I'm just wondering if anyone has altered the hopping schedule to take account of NC (I'm aware that there is a separate thread on NC bitterness)

FYI - I recently made it (with NC) and found the bitterness to be a bit overpowering.

Hi Rukh,

I agree that after making it with NC I found the hops a bit over the top.
I have made a note to delete the 10 min addition next time and see how it goes.
All in all a good beer.
The interest in this beer kind of reminds me of the hype that surrounded the Skunk Fart Pale Ale of Jayse's that was around on the Grumpy's forum a few years ago. Aahh! another good beer.

Cheers

dicko/ryanmoore184 - Thanks for your feedback. We (I was helping a mate do his first AG) ended up going with ~MikE's hop schedule as we felt that it took account of the extra utilisation in the NC cube. We should have the results in a few weeks time.

20.00 gm Amarillo Gold [8.30%] (50 min) Hops
20.00 gm Amarillo Gold [8.30%] (5 min) Hops
20.00 gm Amarillo Gold [8.30%] (0 min) Hops
20.00 gm Amarillo Gold [8.30%] (Dry Hop 3 days) Hops

Guys, the reason IMHO that you are experiencing more bitterness than you would like when no chilling, is that as you aren't 'finishing' the boil with a definite cool down of the wort to ferment temperatures,your flavour and aroma hops additions are becoming bittering additions because the bitterness extraction will continue until the wort cools down enough. That is, when you throw them in at 'five minutes left in the boil', the fact is that the five minutes isn't up until the wort is below the temperature that the bitterness will be extracted from the hops......just as in the same way a 90 minute boil /hop addition would result in a higher level of bitterness perhaps.
You'd have to take that into account and perhaps do some research into what 'relative' levels of bitterness, flavour and aroma, or to be more precise what exactly is extracted from the hops at whatever temperatures, when cooling slowly at ambient temperatures. I reckon you might find that hop additions when the wort reaches a lower temperature would result in a softer extraction of flavours and aromas, yet not add to the bittering.

Put down a version of this in the weekend...

2kg Bohemian Pilsner
1kg Golden Promise
800g Wheat
800g Munich
250g CaraMunich II

60 : 20g Amarillo
10 : 15g Amarillo
5 : 15g Amarillo

And ill dry hop it with 15g Amarillo B)

Pitched US-05, and its bubbling away nicely! Planning on kegging this for my bday drinks :beerbang:

Going to put down this recipe tommorrow. It's my second AG and will have to no-chill as I have already got a brew fermenting in my fridge.

Just crushed the grain - with the help of my girlfriend - couldn't do it all by myself since the marga mill isn't really set up yet. It's sitting on two pieces of ply with some sticky tape to hold it in place (very effective ;) ) and needs the help of someone to hold it down in place whilst the other cranks it - we both took it in turns.

Am thinking of moving all the hop additions 10 mins later for because of the no-chill factor.

So 20 g Amarillo (Pellets, 8.9 AA%, 50 mins)
15 g Amarillo (Pellets, 8.9 AA%, 0 mins)
15 g Amarillo (Pellets, 8.9 AA%, No chill)
15 g Amarillo (Pellets, 8.9 AA%, Secondary)

How does that sound???

Just crushed the grain - with the help of my girlfriend - couldn't do it all by myself since the marga mill isn't really set up yet. It's sitting on two pieces of ply with some sticky tape to hold it in place (very effective ;) ) and needs the help of someone to hold it down in place whilst the other cranks it - we both took it in turns.

How does that sound???

Sounds like a great relationship ;) My wife is still learning as well.

BYB

Going to put down this recipe tommorrow. It's my second AG and will have to no-chill as I have already got a brew fermenting in my fridge.

Am thinking of moving all the hop additions 10 mins later for because of the no-chill factor.

So 20 g Amarillo (Pellets, 8.9 AA%, 50 mins)
15 g Amarillo (Pellets, 8.9 AA%, 0 mins)
15 g Amarillo (Pellets, 8.9 AA%, No chill)
15 g Amarillo (Pellets, 8.9 AA%, Secondary)

How does that sound???

What brew is in your fridge? Ale or lager? Adelaide temps over the next 3-4 days are low 20s so if its ale you may be able to take it out and put it somewhere in the house. I brewed my case swap beer (english ale) in my spare bedroom, stayed at 20C the whole time. that way you can no-chill this batch faster and not worry so much about adjusting the hop schedule.

20C and wyeast 1469 :icon_drool2: :icon_drool2:

I kegged my version of this brew last week. WOW, The amarillo is huge. Thanks for the inspiration Dr.

75 APA
American Pale Ale

Type: All Grain
Date: 1/11/2008
Batch Size: 26.00 L
Brewer: Stephen Wright
Boil Size: 31.86 L Asst Brewer:
Boil Time: 75 min Equipment: My Gear
Taste Rating(out of 50): 0.0 Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00
Taste Notes:

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU