RecipeDB - DrSmurto's Golden Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
By the way, it is delicious and was my first AG recipe.

Not sure why the recipe is not in the recipeDB, my other recipes are. Hopefully the mod team can update us soon.

Meanwhile, fire away with any questions.

What is your favourite yeast with the Rye/Vienna version Doc? Still 1272?

I've gone from Aus malts to TF MO and it improved alot. I've been making it with US-05 with great results but feel it is lacking a tad and I can't quite put my finger on it

Wy1272 is my go to yeast but for something slightly different i sometimes use wy1187 Ringwood and even wy1469 West Yorkshire.

I haven't brewed the wheat version in years and wheat malt is not something i keep in stock. Rye all the time. I switch between vienna and munich and still play around with the crystal malt.

Current batch on tap used Simcoe and homegrown Chinook late.

This was one of my first AG's.... didnt last long
all cube hopped with Amarillo.
My computer crashed over Christmas last year and i lost my exact recipe. though i know it was only slightly tweaked from the DB version.

Thanks guys. hopfully it will reappear soon.

DrSmurto said:
Not sure why the recipe is not in the recipeDB, my other recipes are. Hopefully the mod team can update us soon.

Meanwhile, fire away with any questions.
I've nee building my system for the last 2 years. I got all excited after finishing my PID controller and go to order grain last night for my first all grain brew today, come to the recipe and it's gone? I did find a saved version of the recipe but, it would be good to know where it went?

Something odd is happening in the recipe db.
The issues have been reported but we need a response from the site owners.

"We're sorry, we are busy with the Narcoleptic Goat Fancy Forum at the moment. We will return to AHB as soon as we can wake the goats up." ;)

In your recipe that idzy posted, you say magnum at 60mins to 30IBU then victoria at 20 and 0mins. That then pushes the IBU up towards 50, is that right? or is the 30IBU meant to be the total, seems like 30IBU would be a more balanced beer...

Also, what OG do you shoot for?

Cheers, Matt

Matplat said:
In your recipe that idzy posted, you say magnum at 60mins to 30IBU then victoria at 20 and 0mins. That then pushes the IBU up towards 50, is that right? or is the 30IBU meant to be the total, seems like 30IBU would be a more balanced beer...

Cheers, Matt
I think you add enough 60min hops to bring it up to 30IBU.

Matplat said:

Cheers, Matt
I always work backwards with hop additions when using brewing software.

Add 0 mins hops first which add 0 IBU then other late additions. Once they are sorted add your 60 min addition to hit your desired total IBU. In this case it is 30.

OG is 1.045 from memory.

I've got the all Amarillo version currently fermenting. I have a gut feeling it is under hopped. Any suggestions regarding dry/keg hopping? Should I stick with Amarillo or use something else?

If I've undershot on the bittering, what would you suggest?

Could do a stove top mini boil with some DME or LME. To get your extra IBU's

DrSmurto said:

Add 0 mins hops first which add 0 IBU then other late additions. Once they are sorted add your 60 min addition to hit your desired total IBU. In this case it is 30.

OG is 1.045 from memory.
Thanks Doc, that is as i suspected, just wanted to confirm.

Ripper brew, it's delicious.
I made the kit version, it's a bit rough as I pitched the yeast a little high temp to get the brew underway but in the controlled fridge and I knew it would drop but not quick enough. Next time I'll wait till it drops to 18C, hope it's cleaner.
Used Amarillo hops, 15g at 15, 5 and dry hop.
Very subtle but you know it's in there.
Will keep making this as separate batches with Azacca followed by Palisade then Galaxy

DrSmurto said:

OG is 1.045 from memory.
That really makes a lot of sense. Embarrassingly I have never thought to do it that way around but will from now on in!

Making the rye version on the weekend, but want to use Munich instead of Vienna bc I have some to use up. Not sure whether to sub some out for more base malt, or just go with 20%.

Edit: rye, not eye

Latest posts

Back