RecipeDB - DrSmurto's Golden Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi all, it is probably somewhere in this thread, however l'll ask anyway. Is there an ideal serving temperature for this beer? Currently pouring at 6oC and it tastes okay, but may improve at a different temp. Cheers Elz

I'd probably run it around there. What aren't you thrilled with if it has some off/odd flavours try dropping in down to 4c, if it's a bit muted let it warm slightly.

It tastes fine, maybe a little 'thin?'. I will try ramping it up a degree or two.
Thanks for your advice.
Cheers
Elz

Hi Gang,

I'm going to try and make this but am a bit confused on particularly the hop schedules...

55% Ale (normally TF FM MO or GP)
20% Vienna (german)
20% Rye
5% Carabohemian

Magnum @ 60 to 30 IBU
  • For my 23L batch this would be about 19 grams added at 60min. This takes me to 30ish IBU right there.
Victoria 1.5g/L @ 20 and 0
  • So here I add 34.5 grams of Victoria (23L batch = 1.5g x 23L) at 20min
  • And another 34.5 grams of Victoria at 0 minutes?
  • So that's 69 grams of Victoria hops for me in addition to the Magnum? Seems like a lot here? total IBU would be 60+
Thanks boys!

The zero minute addition will add SFA bitterness, just flavour and aroma, unless you let it soak for a long time.

I'd stick with the original recipe mate. You can't go wrong & it's a fantastic beer. Just scale it if need be to your volume into your fermenter.

SixStar said:
Hi Gang,

I'm going to try and make this but am a bit confused on particularly the hop schedules...

55% Ale (normally TF FM MO or GP)
20% Vienna (german)
20% Rye
5% Carabohemian
Magnum @ 60 to 30 IBU
  • For my 23L batch this would be about 19 grams added at 60min. This takes me to 30ish IBU right there.
Victoria 1.5g/L @ 20 and 0
  • So here I add 34.5 grams of Victoria (23L batch = 1.5g x 23L) at 20min
  • And another 34.5 grams of Victoria at 0 minutes?
  • So that's 69 grams of Victoria hops for me in addition to the Magnum? Seems like a lot here? total IBU would be 60+
Thanks boys!

When putting recipes in to your brewing program the best way (IMHO) to do the hop additions it to add them in reverse. Add your aroma and flavour hops and use the 60 min addition to adjust the total IBU to your desired level.

In this case, add the Victoria at the suggested rate at 20 mins and 0 mins noting that my recipes are developed with the idea that no chill adds 0 IBU (backed up by science) so if your software has a button that allows you to make adjustments, don't use it. Put the Magnum in at 60 mins and adjust how much Magnum to get the total IBU to 30. You won't need much Magnum, from memory i use about 5g with my homegrown Victoria set to 10% AA.

My flameout hops are added 5 minutes after flameout (to allow the turbulence in the boiling wort to settle) during the manual whirlpool (me, a mash paddle and some elbow grease). Walk away for 10 mins and then chill (or no chill) as per your normal method. You won't add any IBU regardless of your method.

Unless you are adding several grams per litre of a high AA% hop, no chill does not increase IBU to a level in which you could taste it.

Thanks Doc, this makes much more sense now. I have done as you suggested and my IBU's are now a total of about 30. Magnum had to be reduced to about 5 grams as you noted.

Excited!

Great tip here as you wrote:

"My flameout hops are added 5 minutes after flameout (to allow the turbulence in the boiling wort to settle) during the manual whirlpool (me, a mash paddle and some elbow grease). Walk away for 10 mins and then chill (or no chill) as per your normal method. You won't add any IBU regardless of your method."

Never tried this.

Just pitched the wyeast! First time using this stuff

Brewed this today, my first AG brew.
Cheers,

Did this recipe for my first AG in my Grainfather Sunday 28th Feb. Put it into my fermenter and it has now only fermented down to 1020 after 9 days. Is this normal for this beer styles final gravity?

Just to provide a little more info my exact recipe was

5kg GP
.3 Caramunich 1
.2 Rye

25 gms Galaxy @ 15
25 gms Nelson Sauvon @ 10
15 gms Mosaic @ 5

S-33 re-hydrated

Fermented @ 18 deg

I'm going to give it another few days but I thought it would have been done by now, or at least close.

First taste: Bloody beautiful

Cheers

1020 seems high I think? Mash issues maybe? Maybe bad yeast or rehydration process?

ken_gilchrist said:
Did this recipe for my first AG in my Grainfather Sunday 28th Feb. Put it into my fermenter and it has now only fermented down to 1020 after 9 days. Is this normal for this beer styles final gravity
I used safale us05 and it got down to 1006 after 7 days

ken_gilchrist said:
Did this recipe for my first AG in my Grainfather Sunday 28th Feb. Put it into my fermenter and it has now only fermented down to 1020 after 9 days. Is this normal for this beer styles final gravity?

Just to provide a little more info my exact recipe was

5kg GP
.3 Caramunich 1
.2 Rye

25 gms Galaxy @ 15
25 gms Nelson Sauvon @ 10
15 gms Mosaic @ 5

S-33 re-hydrated

Fermented @ 18 deg

I'm going to give it another few days but I thought it would have been done by now, or at least close.

First taste: Bloody beautiful

Cheers
Firstly, not sure how that recipe is related to my golden ale. Looks like a nice rye pale ale.

Secondly, 1.020 seems very high. Unless you mashed at 70+C. What was the OG?

Perhaps try racking it to another fermenter, tipping the fermenter to take as much yeast across, which will introduce a little bit of oxygen and mix the yeast back up. This might help the yeast chew up a few more points, I'd hope that recipe finished close to 1.010, depending on the IBU.

bevan said:
I used safale us05 and it got down to 1006 after 7 days
How did you do that? Seriously, the only yeast I can get under 1010 are saisons

DrSmurto said:
Firstly, not sure how that recipe is related to my golden ale. Looks like a nice rye pale ale.

Secondly, 1.020 seems very high. Unless you mashed at 70+C. What was the OG?

Perhaps try racking it to another fermenter, tipping the fermenter to take as much yeast across, which will introduce a little bit of oxygen and mix the yeast back up. This might help the yeast chew up a few more points, I'd hope that recipe finished close to 1.010, depending on the IBU.
I dragged that recipe of here some were mate so not sure exactly if it was yours or not.

My mash profile was set to the same as the one on the "Mathos" controller set up video:

Mash in @ 40 deg

protien rest @ 50 deg for 10 min. OG 1020

Beta amylase @ 63 for 15 min. OG 1051

Alpha1 @ 66 for 40 min. OG 1067

Alpha2 @ 72 for 20 min. OG 1068

Mash out @ 80 deg for 20 min

Pre boil volume 28l OG 1050

Post boil 1050

You're in the wrong thread mate. You should be posting this in general brewing techniques. Not sure how you ended up here.
Try there somewhere.

Killer Brew said:
How did you do that? Seriously, the only yeast I can get under 1010 are saisons
Went back through my kit brew records and checked the FG and I got any where between 1014 and 1009. 1007 (first AG) seems to be the lowest so far. Have another one (second AG) in the fermenter now, will let you know how it goes.

Latest posts

Back