Qld Xmas-in-july Case Swap 2011 - Tasting Notes

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

winkle

Teach a man to fish and play golf, and you'll neve
Reaction score
1. Winkle - Tin Tin Dark Strong 8%. OK now but best give it until the end of July.
2. DKS - Octoberfist
3. NickB - Double IPSomething
4. Ross - ???
5. Pocket Beers - Something over 8%
6. Browndog - Petes Yellow Peril IPA
7. scoundrel_rouge - Old Dogs Piss Wheat Ale (8%)
8. frag_dog - XXXX Gold tallies with the labels ripped off
9. Bradsbrew- Flibberti Puck IPA (english IPA)
11. Florian - German Trash (A Pilsener exclusively hopped post ferment with German iso hops and aroma extract)
12. GravityGuru DKS Inspired APA
13. Stillscottish - Coffee Oatmeal Stout
14. stl - something? Altbier, perhaps..
17. Batz - Something from the cave
18. Shed101 - Winterwarmer of Discontent

Might as well put this list where we can find it (without having to wade through all the swap associated drivel).

1. Winkle - Tin Tin Dark Strong 8%. OK now but best give it until the end of July.
2. DKS - Octoberfist
3. NickB - Double IPSomething
4. Ross - ???
11. Florian - German Trash (A Pilsener exclusively hopped post ferment with German iso hops and aroma extract)
18. Shed101 - Squig's Secondhand Porter - bottled a week before swap could leave for 6 months I guess, up to you. 5.6%.

Might as well put this list where we can find it (without having to wade through all the swap associated drivel).

2. DKS - Octoberfist
3. NickB - American IPA - bottled from keg, OK to drink now!
18. Shed101 - Squig's Secondhand Porter - bottled a week before swap could leave for 6 months I guess, up to you. 5.6%.
24. Paxx

2. DKS - Octoberfist
11. Florian - German Trash (A Pilsener exclusively hopped post ferment with German iso hops and aroma extract) Drinkable now, but could do with some more cold storage IMO to mellow that aroma extract out a bit.
24. Paxx

2. DKS - Octoberfist
9. Bradsbrew- Flibberti Puck IPA (english IPA). Good to go in week but would be better in 4 weeks.
11. Florian - German Trash (A Pilsener exclusively hopped post ferment with German iso hops and aroma extract) Drinkable now, but could do with some more cold storage IMO to mellow that aroma extract out a bit.
24. Paxx

2. DKS - Octoberfist
5. Pocket Beers - English Mild - Bottled on swap day from fermenter :ph34r: Condition for 2-3 weeks (I marked the lids with 30/7 - 3 weeks).
9. Bradsbrew- Flibberti Puck IPA (english IPA). Good to go in week but would be better in 4 weeks.
24. Paxx

2. DKS - Octoberfist
5. Pocket Beers - English Mild - Bottled on swap day from fermenter Condition for 2-3 weeks (I marked the lids with 30/7 - 3 weeks).
24. Paxx- Irish Red- Bottled from the keg good to go now

2. DKS - Octoberfist
4. stl - Altbier - ready to go now but could handle some more cold conditioning.
5. Pocket Beers - English Mild - Bottled on swap day from fermenter Condition for 2-3 weeks (I marked the lids with 30/7 - 3 weeks).

Hey Guys, if anyone can buzz past Winkles and grab Shed's swap beers for me that would be awesome.

Cheers,

Sean.

2. DKS - Octoberfist
4. stl - Altbier - ready to go now but could handle some more cold conditioning.
8. frag_dog - Steam Beer (Cal Common), Bottled from fermeter day before swap. Give it a month (at these temps....)

2. DKS - Octoberfist
8. frag_dog - Steam Beer (Cal Common), Bottled from fermeter day before swap. Give it a month (at these temps....)
13. Stillscottish - Coffee Oatmeal Stout 5.5% 40 IBU. Been in the bottle for 6 weeks but give it another 2 or three.

1. Winkle - Tin Tin Dark Strong 8%. OK now but best give it until the end of July. 2. DKS - Octoberfist 3. NickB - American IPA - bottled from keg, OK to drink now! 4. stl - Altbier - ready to go now but could handle some more cold conditioning. 5. Pocket Beers - English Mild - Bottled on swap day from fermenter Condition for 2-3 weeks (I marked the lids with 30/7 - 3 weeks). 6. 7. scoundrel_rouge - Loyal Old Hound Wheat Ale (8%) Ready to go in 2 WEEKS. 8. frag_dog - Steam Beer (Cal Common), Bottled from fermeter day before swap. Give it a month (at these temps....) 9. Bradsbrew- Flibberti Puck IPA (english IPA). Good to go in week but would be better in 4 weeks. 10. 11. Florian - German Trash (A Pilsener exclusively hopped post ferment with German iso hops and aroma extract) Drinkable now, but could do with some more cold storage IMO to mellow that aroma extract out a bit. 12. GravityGuru DKS Inspired APA 13. Stillscottish - Coffee Oatmeal Stout 5.5% 40 IBU. Been in the bottle for 6 weeks but give it another 2 or three. 14. 15. 16. 17. 18. Shed101 - Squig's Secondhand Porter - bottled a week before swap could leave for 6 months I guess, up to you. 5.6%. 19. 20. 21. 22. 23. 24. Paxx- Irish Red- Bottled from the keg good to go now

1. Winkle - Tin Tin Dark Strong 8%. OK now but best give it until the end of July. 2. DKS - Octoberfist 3. NickB - American IPA - bottled from keg, OK to drink now! 4. stl - Altbier - ready to go now but could handle some more cold conditioning. 5. Pocket Beers - English Mild - Bottled on swap day from fermenter Condition for 2-3 weeks (I marked the lids with 30/7 - 3 weeks). 6. 7. scoundrel_rouge - Loyal Old Hound Wheat Ale (8%) Ready to go in 2 WEEKS. 8. frag_dog - Steam Beer (Cal Common), Bottled from fermeter day before swap. Give it a month (at these temps....) 9. Bradsbrew- Flibberti Puck IPA (english IPA). Good to go in week but would be better in 4 weeks. 10. 11. Florian - German Trash (A Pilsener exclusively hopped post ferment with German iso hops and aroma extract) Drinkable now, but could do with some more cold storage IMO to mellow that aroma extract out a bit. 12. GravityGuru DKS Inspired APA 13. Stillscottish - Coffee Oatmeal Stout 5.5% 40 IBU. Been in the bottle for 6 weeks but give it another 2 or three. 14. 15. 16. 17. 18. Shed101 - Squig's Secondhand Porter - bottled a week before swap could leave for 6 months I guess, up to you. 5.6%. 19. 20. 21. 22. 23. 24. Paxx- Irish Red- Bottled from the keg good to go now

The old phone edit strikes again.

2. DKS - Octoberfist
7. scoundrel_rouge - Loyal Old Hound Wheat Ale (8%) Ready to go in 2 WEEKS.
13. Stillscottish - Coffee Oatmeal Stout 5.5% 40 IBU. Been in the bottle for 6 weeks but give it another 2 or three.

2. DKS - Octoberfist. Drink now. 6.5% WLP830. Almost three months old now.
7. scoundrel_rouge - Loyal Old Hound Wheat Ale (8%) Ready to go in 2 WEEKS.

Have filtered and carbed a batch of Pils similar to the swap beer today, but with 'real' hop pellets. it has that same funny taste that I had put down to the hop aroma extract. I had used the same yeast (Wyeast PC Rasenmaeher lager), so I kind of assume that that's where the taste and aroma comes from. I have opened a jar of the yeast that I had saved, and yep, smells very similar.

So I reckon extended lagering is the go with my swap beer, that should hopefully get rid of it. I has already become better after a few weeks, but still needs a bit. Stick it in the fridge if you can. Sorry, should've started brewing earlier (or just brewed a non-lager, like everyone else), I knew I was cutting it fine.

It should be alright nonetheless in a few weeks, a bland, boring, average german lager, hence the name.

Won't be using that yeast for a while I reckon, bit of a pain.

Having a lazy Sunday arvo so I thought Ide have a few and post a point of veiw or two.
Started with my own October. Ill leave that to others to critic although I am a bit dissappointed after such a long process.Moved on to Paxx's Irish as it was chilled and one ready to drink now.For what its worth, I just noted as I tasted and as thoughts came to mind.

Irish Red. Not had before except Kilkenny from a can.

Pours clear reddish
Small off white head
Loverly mild malt aroma with hint of toffee and \or caramel
No hop aroma
Taste a sweet caramel and toffee malt with little hop flavour
Low bitterness but well balanced
Medium mouthfeel with malt flavours lingering
Lace all the way
Easy to drink.I want another.
Very nice beer Much prefer this to Kilkenny anyday.
Good beer dat Paxx.

NEXT!!
Daz

#3 Nicks AIPA
Pours clean copper
Small white head
Not working in glass
Strong hop aroma. Piney resin. Thinking Chinook and Simcoe, (could be way off,) with malt aroma following.
Bitterness balanced with malt to style with lingeringbitterness and the resininess(?) stays on
Mouthfeel could be improved with more carbonationProbablybetter poured direct from keg
Overall a very nice beer. Fits specs for me and very drinkable
Good job Nick.
Would like a session from keg.

Really happy with swap beers so far.

Daz

Spot on with the reviews there Daz, Paxx's and Nick's beers are the ones I have tried.

Sorry for the lack of notes.

Paxx has inspired me to brew an Irish red that was a great beer and probably one of the best Irish reds I have tried, not sure how it lines up with AABC but a good beer that I wanted another of.

Nicks IPA was pretty dam good my carbonation was fine, Nick you must teach me how you carbonate from the keg?, a great well balanced Aipa had everything that mine is missing. Could have sworn it was a Browndog IPA.

Great beers so far fellas

Only calling it as I see it Brad and wouldnt hold my opinion as gospel thats for sure.
Probably should ask on behalf of all swappers. Is there anyone who does not want their beer reveiwed publicly?

Totally understandable, if you wish to keep reviews private or dont care to be critisesed at all thats fair enuf. Just post "No Reveiw please" with no* corresponding, or perhaps "reveiw privately" where reveiws could be PM'd.

Personaly give it to me straight between the eyes. I want to do better next time if Ive stuffed up.
As for Paxx and Nick, bad luck, too late blokes, youll have to suffer the ridicule of shame. :p
Daz

Latest posts

Back