NSW 2013 Xmas in July Case Swap - tasting thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
20. Goldenchild choc/oat stout

Pours with a thick brown / off white head. Colour is black and completely opaque.
Aromas are mildly roasty with a bit of fruit and vanilla.
Medium body and carb. Tastes great with a lingering roasty bitterness.

Cheers
Ben

16. Ester Trub Belgian Dark Strong 8.2% WY #3655PC Belgian Schelde Ale.

Just got home after sharing this one with the neighbour. Thought I should say thankyou for a fantastic beer. If my next Belgian comes out anywhere near close to this, I will consider it a success.

10. pimpsqueak Doppeldunkelweizenbock 8.3% Should hopefully be ready to drink before the end of winter

I don't know what a Doppeldunkelweizenbock is meant to taste like but I really enjoyed this beer, thanks for sharing

cheers steve

11. ScottC English bitter 4.9% - Was supposed to be a Worthington Whiteshield IPA clone. Ready end of July.

Just finished this one, a very nice beer, would love to see the recipe as I would like to brew it. Thanks for sharing

cheers steve

matho said:
10. pimpsqueak Doppeldunkelweizenbock 8.3% Should hopefully be ready to drink before the end of winter

I don't know what a Doppeldunkelweizenbock is meant to taste like
That makes two of us :D
Glad you liked it though :beer:

Lets see doppel is double
Dunkel is dark
Wiezen is wheat
Bock is a strong lager
So it's a double dark wheat strong lager
Look forward to it

16. Ester Trub Belgian Dark Strong 8.2% WY #3655PC Belgian Schelde Ale. Bottled 30/4. Best left until end of August or later. Let this one warm up before drinking, 8c or higher.

pulled out the chimay goblet for this one, a really well brewed belgian dark strong, has the big malt flavours but without the chewyness. very nice thanks for sharing.

cheers steve

Collected my swap beers from Scottc today and decided I had to try one. Nifty's Irish red was the lucky dip that ended up in the fridge for a few hours.

12. Nifty's Irish red

Nice clear red with lower carbonation. The aroma is faint but has a nice nuttyness to it. The flavour is much more than expected. It is surprisingly quite fruity. Someone else said passion fruit and I agree completely. The malt flavours are caramel with a dry coffee flavour in the finish.

I have never really enjoyed Irish reds as a style but I haven't tried to find many either. Despite that I enjoyed this beer a lot and am happy with the lucky dip choice I made. I'm also curious where the passion fruit flavour came from, was it hops or yeast?

The only other beer I have finally tried was my belgian pale (no.4). I agree with most comments. It does taste rather English and it came out hoppier than I expected. Between the couple beers I used 1314 on I was a bit disappointed in the yeast character.

Had a few with no real notes, just impressions.

19. Soutern English Brown

Had this ons Saturday after mowing the lawn. Nice chocolaty flavours, light-med boddied and very refreshing for a dark beer. Slipped down very easy. Very nice MB. Thanks. didnt get the juniper but i wasnt really looking for it.

1. Peat Stong Ale

Why? ;) Great thing about these swaps is beers like this. Now that i know what it tastes like, I need never brew one :). Thanks Gino.

21. Oak Smoked Porter

My kind of smoked beer. Lovely malty base porter that just compliments and doesnt overpower. Very nice. thanks LJ.

cheers
Andrew

Tonights sample: Nick R Aconcagua Ale

A very nice easy drinking beer with a bit of a twist in the background flavour. Very clean and mild making me wish I had drank it a few hours ago when it was warm and sunny and such a refreshing beer would be better appreciated. A very good beer but right now I felt like something richer. Maybe I should choose a beer that suits what I feel like instead of a random number.

Barls' honey Mild- A dark ruby colour, clear and with a small head that fades slowly. Aroma is honey and a bit of chocolate. Flavour is of honey, caramel chocolate and a bit of fruity flavours. There is a reasonable amount of body to it for a low alcohol beer. It has a sweet finish. A very nice variation on a mild.

Littlejohn's Oak smoked Porter- Dark brown/nearly black with reddish highlights. Lowish carbonation. The aroma is what you expect from a nice malty porter with a nice smokey element to it. The flavour is strongly of rich malt flavours, nuttyness, chocolate as well as the Smoked flavour. The smoke flavour blended particularly well with the malt flavours. I would say that it is probably the perfect amount of smoke flavour and I was seriously impressed with the fact that you added the smoke flavour yourself; firstly because you took and chance and put the effort in and nailed a great flavour but also that you were able to manage to get the right amount of smoke flavour into the beer without overpowering the rest.

Had a few in the last week. Notes are just from memory.

2. matho AIPA 8.5% wyeast 1272 bottled 25/3/2013

Very nice IPA and doesn't taste anywhere near the 8.5%; very clean. It had the solid bitterness but well supported by the malt. It could have more late hops but it wasn't lacking either. flavour and aroma were citrus hops mainly from memory. My partner and I shared it and both enjoyed it very much.

3. grantw Theakston Old Peculier 5.8%

Another nice one. I really enjoyed the malt flavours; roast flavours and fruity flavours probably from some sort of dark crystal malts. (What crystal malts did you use? btw). A really nice ale, I've brewed similar beers myself but I've never nailed it as well as you have here. Thanks for sharing .

1. Cortez the Killer 100% Heavily Peated Distilling Malt Strong Ale ~7%

I have brewed beers with about 2% distilling malt and was expecting this to be unenjoyably intense but it wasn't as strong flavoured as I expected and I quite enjoyed it. My biggest surptrise is to pick out a moment along the pallet where some citrus flavour comes through the pear flavour. It doesn't last long but it it is an interesting contrast to the peat smoke that dominates the flavour of this beer. It would take a long time to get through a batch of this but I really enjoyed the beer.

11. ScottC English bitter 4.9%

I had a sneak taste of this one on tap as I dropped off my caseswap beers with Scott as I was overseas. I enjoyed it on tap but enjoyed it much more from the bottle, it was very enjoyable. I can't remember any specific tastes but remember thinking it was probably late hopped with styrian goldings, challenger or target and the malt flavours supported it very nicely. I really enjoyed this one.

19. monkeybusiness Southern English Brown 3.5%ABV. Bottled 23 June. Juniper added late to the boil for something different but went light on so not sure if you'll be able to pick it.

Just opened this now. This is a lovely roasty, chocolately, dry beer. Head doesn't hang around long,
Glad I kept it around until the weather warmed up as it drinks really well.

Sorry, but I can't find the Juniper.

Latest posts

Back