Nsw Xmas In July Case 2008

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's been a bit disappointing in some cases that some beers haven't quite measured up to that. Of course, beers go bad or don't turn out quite as you expected them to (and I'm certainly guilty of that with my last case swap beer) but it has been suggested that some people might not have put the effort in that they would have if their lives depended on it. I think it might be a good idea to have a deadline of two weeks before the swap and if people's beers haven't worked out or they're just not able to get the beer made in time they could drop out by then. Sound ok?

And so, my fellow AHBers: ask not what your case can do for you - ask what you can do for your case. My fellow citizens of the forum: ask not what other brewers will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of beer. Finally, whether you are citizens of NSW or even of the ACT, ask of us the same high standards of strength and bitterness which we ask of you. With a good conscience our only sure reward, with history the final judge of our deeds, let us go forth to make the beer we love, asking for blessing and for help, but knowing that here on earth, yeast's work must truly be our own.

Could not of said it better myself. I am toying with the idea of have a PREMIUM ALL GRAIN ONLY case swap where all the 28 TOP SHELF beer styles will be pre-nominated so u just take one and brew it. First in, best choice. I think as most blokes put 100% into their beers the few that are not up to scratch really let the swap down. Depending on the feedback I may fire this one up after the July swaps.

Steve

Could not of said it better myself. I am toying with the idea of have a PREMIUM ALL GRAIN ONLY case swap where all the 28 TOP SHELF beer styles will be pre-nominated so u just take one and brew it. First in, best choice. I think as most blokes put 100% into their beers the few that are not up to scratch really let the swap down. Depending on the feedback I may fire this one up after the July swaps.

Steve

Thought I might stick my nose in here on this general issue. The last swap was my first. For 12 months prior I had jealously looked at the swaps (and comps for that matter) but was pretty much scared of entering due to general feelings of inadequacy and worthlessness about my brews :p . I had been encouraged by brewing mates to enter but I was scared about putting something shit in pretty much.

I guess what I'm trying to say is the aim should be to get a balance between scaring new brewers off and making sure that whatever is entered is of decent quality. I guess the bottom line is we are a good 3 months or more out of the swap there should be no excuse, if you are putting you hand up, to come up with something decent. Brew it now, if it's screwed up there's time to do something else.

Your turn to drive Rob !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

but I'll have my bus ready just in case!!

So long as it doesn't conflict with the Soccer roster Sat morning or my turn with the kids on the golf jr dev program on a Saturday arvo or the Mrs' day-shift/night-shift roster on a Sunday, I'm in, 100% ;)

1. Stuster
2. Steve
3. nifty
4. PoMo
5. Crozdog
6. Kabooby
7. Fatgodzilla
8. Muggus
9. floppinab
10. Insight
11. redbeard - my beer is going to ELEVEN !!
12. Gulpa
13. SAH
14. HomeBrewWorld.com
15. BeerSlayer
16. Schooey
17. Pint of Lager
18. Thirstywench
19. Josh
20. Cortez The Killer
21. Jon W

I hope it's OK just to stick my name on the list!

Jon

I'd just like to point out to everyone something from the first post.
1. You will supply 28 bottles of your finest hand crafted

It's been a bit disappointing in some cases that some beers haven't quite measured up to that. Of course, beers go bad or don't turn out quite as you expected them to (and I'm certainly guilty of that with my last case swap beer) but it has been suggested that some people might not have put the effort in that they would have if their lives depended on it. :eek: I think it might be a good idea to have a deadline of two weeks before the swap and if people's beers haven't worked out or they're just not able to get the beer made in time they could drop out by then. Sound ok?

And so, my fellow AHBers: ask not what your case can do for you - ask what you can do for your case. My fellow citizens of the forum: ask not what other brewers will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of beer. Finally, whether you are citizens of NSW or even of the ACT, ask of us the same high standards of strength and bitterness which we ask of you. With a good conscience our only sure reward, with history the final judge of our deeds, let us go forth to make the beer we love, asking for blessing and for help, but knowing that here on earth, yeast's work must truly be our own.
I'm happy to put a +1 on this comment, not that I'm free from blame either (no need to comment, PoMo).

I'd like to see the experienced brewers put their money where their mouth is. Brew a beer to maintain your reputation as a good brewer, or to enhance (or create) your positive reputation. Brew to show your respect for the other case swappers and to help your self-respect. On that note, I feel that it's a mark of self-respect to be able to withdraw in a timely manner when you know that your beer is not going to measure up. That measure, of course, being your own high, demanding and rigourous standards. I could quote an example, but that's purely academic now.

Thought I might stick my nose in here on this general issue. The last swap was my first. For 12 months prior I had jealously looked at the swaps (and comps for that matter) but was pretty much scared of entering due to general feelings of inadequacy and worthlessness about my brews :p . I had been encouraged by brewing mates to enter but I was scared about putting something shit in pretty much.

I guess what I'm trying to say is the aim should be to get a balance between scaring new brewers off and making sure that whatever is entered is of decent quality. I guess the bottom line is we are a good 3 months or more out of the swap there should be no excuse, if you are putting you hand up, to come up with something decent. Brew it now, if it's screwed up there's time to do something else.

I'd hate to see these case-swaps becoming exclusive to established forumers. They are best served to introduce newer brewers and experienced brewers (both long-term and new to the forum) to the delights of well-made beer, in the rainbow of styles. It's certainly opened my eyes and palate to a range of hitherto untasted or unavailable styles of beer. It's also pushed me to create beer of obscure styles (Berliner weisse, Gose), in order to challenge other palates, and perhaps to please them.

I can see immense value in expanding the brewing outlook of all case-swap entrants, but moreso for newer brewers. They can get a taste of how good a beer can be made at home, but only if the entrants provide their "finest". On the other hand, they can be provided with feedback to improve their own beers, or (shock/horror) receive feedback that they already make some classy beer (of a competitive standard).

Les climbs off soapbox (and goes back to his daily drudge)
Beerz and good brewing/ case-swapping

I'd like to see the experienced brewers put their money where their mouth is. Brew a beer to maintain your reputation as a good brewer, or to enhance (or create) your positive reputation. Brew to show your respect for the other case swappers and to help your self-respect. On that note, I feel that it's a mark of self-respect to be able to withdraw in a timely manner when you know that your beer is not going to measure up. That measure, of course, being your own high, demanding and rigourous standards. I could quote an example, but that's purely academic now.

Well said. The last swap was my first and I thought that the idea of these swaps was to brew your finest beer, one that you would be happy to share with anyone, showcasing your best brew. I don't think a case swap is a opportunity to do some experimental brew that may or may not work as it would be hidden in amongst 28 other brews.
Saying that though there is no reason anyone cant buy a 3kg Aust Post bag and swap 3 or 4 beers with other members as I have done with a few blokes.

Steve

1. Stuster
2. Steve
3. nifty
4. PoMo
5. Crozdog
6. Kabooby
7. Fatgodzilla
8. Muggus
9. floppinab
10. Insight
12. Gulpa
13. SAH
14. HomeBrewWorld.com
15. BeerSlayer
16. Schooey
17. Pint of Lager
18. Thirstywench
19. Josh
20. Cortez The Killer
21. Jon W
22. DK

Bring it on!

I'd just like to point out to everyone something from the first post.

It's been a bit disappointing in some cases that some beers haven't quite measured up to that. Of course, beers go bad or don't turn out quite as you expected them to (and I'm certainly guilty of that with my last case swap beer) but it has been suggested that some people might not have put the effort in that they would have if their lives depended on it. :eek: I think it might be a good idea to have a deadline of two weeks before the swap and if people's beers haven't worked out or they're just not able to get the beer made in time they could drop out by then. Sound ok?

How very strange. If there are any amoung us brave enough to subject their half-arsed efforts to the assembled beer snobs, certified judges and fellow brewers... well, they've got bigger stones than I!

I'm happy to put a +1 on this comment, not that I'm free from blame either (no need to comment, PoMo).

No need :D

I don't think a case swap is a opportunity to do some experimental brew that may or may not work as it would be hidden in amongst 28 other brews.

But all jokes aside, you did spawn a whole new thread and a whole new following :D

(just jokes, just jokes)

I'm actually glad you made that beer and even more glad you came back and made a state show winning beer in the end.

Hmmm. I was keen to get involved in another case swap (the xmas being my first) but it seems that there are some pretty high expectations within the case swap fraternity.

I really appreciated the feedback from everybody in the last swap and I think I got alot out of people's comments which I think were comfortingly similar to my own thoughts on my beer. I think that many of us would be our own worst critics and that may well scare some (such as myself) from participating in further case swaps where there is some pressure to ensure a good beer is put forth.

I agree completely about checking it beforehand to ensure there is no infection or otherwise bad beer, as I too was disappointed with one or two infected brews in the swap. But there is for many of us a huge benefit in having more experienced peers comment on our beer especially if it maybe not quite perfect. For newer brewers I think one of the hardest things is trying to taste out what is "not quite right" about a beer and working out what must be done to fix it.

In the short term I will be working on improving my own beer and hope to get in on a case swap further into the future. Unless of course I try the same beer again, but try to sort out what I believe was wrong last time.....

PS - if I do go in again it will at least be a partial and almost certainly a black.
PPS- by the way, thanks again to all those who were in the last swap, twas everything I had hoped and more.

-Adrian.

1. Stuster
2. Steve
3. nifty
4. PoMo
5. Crozdog
6. Kabooby
7. Fatgodzilla
8. Muggus
9. floppinab
10. Insight
12. Gulpa
13. SAH
14. HomeBrewWorld.com
15. BeerSlayer
16. Schooey
17. Pint of Lager
18. Thirstywench
19. Josh
20. Cortez The Killer
21. Jon W
22. DK
23. Jez

Now I'm nervous but I'm in!

Jez

Well said. The last swap was my first and I thought that the idea of these swaps was to brew your finest beer, one that you would be happy to share with anyone, showcasing your best brew. I don't think a case swap is a opportunity to do some experimental brew that may or may not work as it would be hidden in amongst 28 other brews.
Saying that though there is no reason anyone can’t buy a 3kg Aust Post bag and swap 3 or 4 beers with other members as I have done with a few blokes.

Steve

The last was my first swap too Steve. The recipe for the brew I put in the case was pulled out of my arse originally, I just made it up. I'd made it only twice before and I did consider it still an experimental brew but I was confident that it would work. I was nervous as all hell to enter a beer into the swap that I had only read about for the past three or four years. Im glad it did work and that people liked it. I know what you are getting at. I dont think I would have entered it the first time around that I had made it. But you have to remember thats its just a bit if fun for all brewers at all stages of brewing to enter beer that they've made. Its not a registered BJCP competition. Yes I was a bit disappointed with about 10% of the case but the other 80% made up for it. I dont think there should be a ban on any experimental brew or beer made by someone that has only just put their third or fourth beer down.
Cheers
Steve

Ok, just to clarify, I certainly didn't mean I thought everyone should back out unless they brewed a comp winning beer. As Les said, the swaps are great for new brewers as well as old-hands and they're for sharing good beer not competitiveness. I don't mean that everyone should have case-anxiety (or even case-envy :p ). I don't think we should all brew only recipes we've brewed 10 times before, or that if it doesn't blow your socks off when you bottle it then you shouldn't enter, but simply

DoYourBest.jpg

Have to agree with your statement there Stu.
I found that my first attempt of a batch of beer for the NSW Xmas swap was lacklustre, to say the least. Luckily I got stuck in early enough to have brewed a backup beer which I was pretty happy with, and I guess if I can convince myself it was alright, then i'm at least halfway to convincing everyone else that its alright. :D

Either way, i'm gonna brew 2 batches (at least) for this caseswap and pick the one I think is the best.

I must say, I was dissappointed in my last case beer.

It tasted great out of the fermenter into the bottles, but when I had a test bottle about a week later, it tasted like bandaids. By that time it was already delivered to Flops place so it was too late to pull out.

I suspect I didn't rinse the chlorine out of the bottles properly, as not all beers tasted like crap. Of the extras I had left over, some were ok, some were like sucking on a soggy bandaid.

Anyway, old news, I'm looking forward to this case.

cheers

nifty

Hmmm. I was keen to get involved in another case swap (the xmas being my first) but it seems that there are some pretty high expectations within the case swap fraternity.

I really appreciated the feedback from everybody in the last swap and I think I got alot out of people's comments which I think were comfortingly similar to my own thoughts on my beer. I think that many of us would be our own worst critics and that may well scare some (such as myself) from participating in further case swaps where there is some pressure to ensure a good beer is put forth.

I agree completely about checking it beforehand to ensure there is no infection or otherwise bad beer, as I too was disappointed with one or two infected brews in the swap. But there is for many of us a huge benefit in having more experienced peers comment on our beer especially if it maybe not quite perfect. For newer brewers I think one of the hardest things is trying to taste out what is "not quite right" about a beer and working out what must be done to fix it.

In the short term I will be working on improving my own beer and hope to get in on a case swap further into the future. Unless of course I try the same beer again, but try to sort out what I believe was wrong last time.....

PS - if I do go in again it will at least be a partial and almost certainly a black.
PPS- by the way, thanks again to all those who were in the last swap, twas everything I had hoped and more.

-Adrian.

Adrian .. show some backbone, son. Of course you want in. You know you will produce a classy product. Your black beer in the last NSW Xmas swap showed so much promise. I know you were disappointed in it. So do it again .. but better. :super:

Now I'm nervous but I'm in! Jez

Only way to be. Good to have you in the mix. :beerbang:

.... as I too was disappointed with one or two infected brews in the swap.

By the way, what would I know. I thought all the beers were good !!! Gotta go now, mummy calling :party:

Awwww shucks

2 things written above have made the decision for me!

"reputation" and "3 months out"

:p

Im in..... WTF :)

1. Stuster
2. Steve
3. nifty
4. PoMo
5. Crozdog
6. Kabooby
7. Fatgodzilla
8. Muggus
9. floppinab
10. Insight
12. Gulpa
13. SAH
14. HomeBrewWorld.com
15. BeerSlayer
16. Schooey
17. Pint of Lager
18. Thirstywench
19. Josh
20. Cortez The Killer
21. Jon W
22. DK
23. Jez
24. tony

Ok,

Providing that there is a Newcastle or somewhere close dropoff point, count me in. I really enjoyed sampling & participating in the last HAG Xmas swap (so much so, it's convinced me to go AG !).

David.

1. Stuster
2. Steve
3. nifty
4. PoMo
5. Crozdog
6. Kabooby
7. Fatgodzilla
8. Muggus
9. floppinab
10. Insight
12. Gulpa
13. SAH
14. HomeBrewWorld.com
15. BeerSlayer
16. Schooey
17. Pint of Lager
18. Thirstywench
19. Josh
20. Cortez The Killer
21. Jon W
22. DK
23. Jez
24. tony
25. Loftboy

Initially I said no, can't do it, as I've committed to a couple of other side brewing projects.
However seeing the calibre of some of the entrants, I'll step up and commit.

1. Stuster
2. Steve
3. nifty
4. PoMo
5. Crozdog
6. Kabooby
7. Fatgodzilla
8. Muggus
9. floppinab
10. Insight
12. Gulpa
13. SAH
14. HomeBrewWorld.com
15. BeerSlayer
16. Schooey
17. Pint of Lager
18. Thirstywench
19. Josh
20. Cortez The Killer
21. Jon W
22. DK
23. Jez