My Rogers Clone Recipe Tastes Great

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DJ_L3ThAL said:
Giving this a crack on Sunday, will get it fermenting as fast as possible and going to keg half the batch and bottle half. Will post results here. Hopefully at the very least I get a tasty mild to offer peeps!
How did it turn out DJ_3ThAL?
Next time I do this I think I will aim for a recipe similar to yours. My attempt was off the mark but still tasted good, too much crystal and too dark. May have been the Crafa III i used and not Carafa II used in designing the recipe.

In the latest issue of Beer and Brewer magazine the Little Creatures Pale Ale is reviewed and they say that Little Creatures use malt that is kilned or malted to their own specifications. I wonder if this is the case for Rogers?

Sadly didn't get it brewed over Easter, milled grain is still sitting waiting for me!!! :-(

Hoping this Sunday I can get it done and be fermenting it by mid next week!

Currently boiling this, had 1.032 pre-boil, the EKG addition is wafting out all sort of delicious smells!

Boiled a bit hard, got 21L at 1.044 instead of 22L at 1.039. Will top up with water to 1.039 when I ferment this in a couple weeks time!

Got this fermenting away as of last Saturday, topped up with 4L of water to 1.037. So sadly that will mean my colours and IBU may be off, but I'd rather keep it as a mild strength as intended. Got it at 20C along with two other brews using US05.
Will report back at gravity reading/taste test stage

Haha, yeah I tend to just leave for 12 days and test then, if all good set fridge to a couple C higher for 2 days and then cold crash for a week before kegging/bottling. Dry hop accordingly ahead of keg/bottle day.

I'd like to say I'm patient, but it's more laziness and minimisation of effort :p

Kegged and bottled it this weekend, hydro sample tasted great but reserving judgment against the real thing once carbonated and aged for a week or two, colour looks pretty good, even my watered down version is 3.9%

Correction, kegged version is 3.7%. Tapped the keg tonight, but didn't do a side-by-side at this stage. Initial thoughts are very good, quite clean, crisp, effervescent even! The midnight wheat is extremely subtle, it's a very light tasting beer (like the original). I perhaps could have upped the hops to my taste, but think this is close to the original. Carbonation comes through great (2.4 volumes), colour is that nice dark brown creamy soda, crystal clear much to my surprise (I usually get a bit of haze). Will do a side by side and take some photos later this week and report back.

DJ_L3ThAL said:
Giving this a crack on Sunday, will get it fermenting as fast as possible and going to keg half the batch and bottle half. Will post results here. Hopefully at the very least I get a tasty mild to offer peeps!
DJ is there any particular reason for the 30 minute mash rest? Just wondering if it was a time constraint thing or if the 30 minute mash was actually there to achieve something different with the end product like perhaps less fermentability? Cheers

Yep, less fermentability. From memory I based this off one of manticles English mild thread suggestions.

30 minutes at a high temp is enough for alpha amylase to reduce starch to dextrins but limits beta amylase activity so you get a fuller bodied light abv beer. 70 for 30 works wonders.

Been a while since we all debated this recipe and the other variants...but this is what i am going with this weekend. I have significantly dropped the Crystal Malt to remove the astringency i tasted in my first attempt...will use the distillers caramel to alter the colour.

A Tribute To Rogers
Brewer: Chris
Batch Size: 20.00 l
Style: American Amber Ale/ESB
Boil Size: 24.16 l
Target Color: 40 EBC
Bitterness: 24.1IBUs
Boil Time: 60 min
Est OG: 1.039
Mash Profile: Single Infusion, Full Body, No Mash Out
Est FG: 1.012
Fermentation: Ale, Two Stage
ABV: ~3.6%

Ingredients
2.50 kg Pale Malt (2 Row) UK 5.9 EBC
500.0 g Wheat, Flaked 3.2 EBC
400.0 g Caramel/Crystal Malt -270EBC
300.0 g Wyerman Cara-Pils 4.0 EBC
200.0 g Vienna Malt 6.9 EBC
28.0 g East Kent Goldings (EKG) [5.0%] - Boil 60 min
25.0 g Cascade [5.5%] - Boil 5 min
1 pkgs SafAle English Ale (DCL/Fermentis #S-04)
25.0 g Ella (aka Stella) [15.0%] - Dry Hop 5 days
20.0 g Cascade [5.5%] - Dry Hop 5 days

Distillers Caramel to be used to get near the Rogers colour...I think this is the type of brewers extract they use at the brewery...or near enough!
http://www.grainandgrape.com.au/products/category/search/8TS+DISTILLERS+CARAMEL

Still undecided whether i should use S-04 or S-05...thoughts?

Cheers

Chris

Funnily enough just last night I had a try of my attempt of this and unfortunately it is lacking. Its slightly undercarbonated at the moment so that may be contributing but the body is watery and thin and the flavour is simply lacking in pretty much every area, needs more maltiness and sweetness and also more colour. It was mashed at 67 for 30 mins but I think I'll move it to 69-70 for longer and add a protein rest early to see if I can improve the mouthfeel.

Recipe below is what was brewed, few things I need to change include upping the crystal darkness and I'm tinking about throwing in some Munich to add more malt flavour.
Rogers.PNG

Anyone have a recipe converted to extract

Nizmoose said:
Funnily enough just last night I had a try of my attempt of this and unfortunately it is lacking. Its slightly undercarbonated at the moment so that may be contributing but the body is watery and thin and the flavour is simply lacking in pretty much every area, needs more maltiness and sweetness and also more colour. It was mashed at 67 for 30 mins but I think I'll move it to 69-70 for longer and add a protein rest early to see if I can improve the mouthfeel.

Recipe below is what was brewed, few things I need to change include upping the crystal darkness and I'm tinking about throwing in some Munich to add more malt flavour.
attachicon.gif
Rogers.PNG
Good work mate, did you do a side by side with the commercial example? I found mine pretty close but yes some body would be better, but it would steer it away from the original (for the better mind you).

DJ_L3ThAL said:
Good work mate, did you do a side by side with the commercial example? I found mine pretty close but yes some body would be better, but it would steer it away from the original (for the better mind you).
Yeah did a side by side, the overall beer I wasn't too unhappy with, it was easy drinking and didnt have anything in the way of off flavours its more that it lacked character compared to the commercial. Just had a look and it looks like I actually did use pretty much your recipe, did your colour come out okay? From memory I think I did dilute a bit due to getting better efficiency than expected. Definitely going to re-brew with better mouthfeel in mind and see if I can get it a bit closer

Latest posts

Back