Proof my saison and sparkling recipe please

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SnailAle

Reaction score
Gday guys

Just wondering if anyone would be willing to sanity check my recipes. I found it very useful for my pale and blonde I did recently getting help from you lads.

The sparkling is my old man's favourite beer and it's kind of our thing when I visit the farm to down a couple of long necks together so thought I'd do this one for him.

The saison is for my brewing partner who loves different beers. I was originally planning on having it around 3.5% as a real sessional beer but ended up pushing it a little higher.

Appreciate the feedback, bear in mind I can't get liquid yeast posted to here so I just stick to dry which I know is limiting for a saison.

20171217_130702.jpg

1513476610461.jpeg

Are you after coopers sparkling ale?

If so, you need coopers yeast which you can find at the bottom of a stubby. Best to use coopers pale ale, culture up a starter from a fresh, in date six pack. Drink the six pack first (from a glass - don't touch your lips on the bottle).

Recipe db has a very good recipe for coopers by andrewqld if you can find it. Nothing wrong with your recipe for an easy drinking take on csa though.

Saison wise - grist works best simple. For me - mostly pils (maybe 75%), the rest wheat malt. Hop to 30 ish with a noble or noble type (your ekg will be fine).

Not used belle myself but where are you that liquid is not an option?

Are you after coopers sparkling ale?

If so, you need coopers yeast which you can find at the bottom of a stubby. Best to use coopers pale ale, culture up a starter from a fresh, in date six pack. Drink the six pack first (from a glass - don't touch your lips on the bottle).

Recipe db has a very good recipe for coopers by andrewqld if you can find it. Nothing wrong with your recipe for an easy drinking take on csa though.

Saison wise - grist works best simple. For me - mostly pils (maybe 75%), the rest wheat malt. Hop to 30 ish with a noble or noble type (your ekg will be fine).

Not used belle myself but where are you that liquid is not an option?

Coopers sparkling is the beer in mind but I was wanting to put my own little spin on it. I think I'm getting into the stage of enjoying playing with recipes.

I originally planned to do the saison more straight forward, just saw a few recipes online with a bit more and added in the cara to make beersmith happy with colour. I'll make it more simple, still got probably 10 kg of pils malt here anyway. Hop wise I'll bump it up a bit. Thanks for the advice [emoji106]

I'm country Vic but around 3 1/2 hours each way from Melbourne, I generally use G&G.

I'm in Tas and I've had GG post ingredients, including liquid yeast and brewing acids so not sure why you couldn't get the same in rural vic.

Anyway designing recipes is fun and rewarding and as many tweaks and suggestions as I can offer (based on subjective experience), there's no dog's balls in either recipe so brew on, brew strong and tweak next time according to results and desired outcomes.

I know several home brew shops who will send anything anywhere, including G&G.
I'm drinking a very nice little Farm House made with Bell Saison, and I have no problems at all getting my hands on Wyeast.
With the dry Saison, use the 1g/L that the maker recommends, start around 24oC and let it rip, my apparent attenuation was about 100% and its reeking of classic farm house flavour and aroma.
Good choice for a quaffer, but use the g/L!
Mark

I'd add some whirlpool hops to the saison. I'm also not a fan of Belle Saison (unless you have no access to liquid yeast). White labs, Wyeast, and The Yeast Bay have tons of amazing Saison yeasts available. My saison recipes typically have some oats for mouthfeel when the yeast is highly attenuating. I'd take out the caramel malt from the saison- no need for it, especially with the Vienna.

Back