My Rogers Clone Recipe Tastes Great

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrisluki

Reaction score
Hey guys

Ever since I joined here I have been talking about producing a Rogers clone...cos I bloody love that beer.

Well a little bit of inside info and I have had a crack at producing my own. Tonight I poured my first bottle of it...and I loved it! Smelled just like the real thing, colour maybe a little darker and a little more bitter...but very good! Got a few stubs of the real thing chilling to do a side by side tomorrow night.

The beersmith file is below if anyone wants it.

Cheers to good beers

Chris

10979585_351519871714746_1063856046_n.jpg

View attachment ROGERS TRIBUTE.bsmx

Looks great!
Does it have 22% crystal? Not concerned about sweetness, but what about astringency for all those roasted grains?
For those of us without Beersmith or working on a phone, could you please give us the boring old typed version?
Thanks!!

technobabble66 said:
Looks great!
Does it have 22% crystal? Not concerned about sweetness, but what about astringency for all those roasted grains?
For those of us without Beersmith or working on a phone, could you please give us the boring old typed version?
Thanks!!
Here you go...have a crack.

I am pretty new to this, so no expert really, but I didn't find it astringent. I finished off the first longneck and wanted another!!!

Type: All Grain
Batch Size: 20.00 l
Boil Size: 24.16 l
Boil Time: 90 min
End of Boil Vol: 21.32 l
Final Bottling Vol: 19.00 l
Fermentation: Ale, Two Stage
Equipment - 3 Vessel Stainless Kegs
Efficiency: 72.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 73.8 %
Taste Rating: 30.0
Ingredients Amt Name Type # %/IBU
2.00 kg Pale Malt (2 Row) UK (5.9 EBC) Grain 1 50.0 %
0.90 kg Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L (236.4 EBC) Grain 2 22.5 %
0.50 kg Wheat, Flaked (3.2 EBC) Grain 3 12.5 %
0.30 kg Vienna Malt (6.9 EBC) Grain 4 7.5 %
0.30 kg Wyerman Cara-Pils (4.0 EBC) Grain 5 7.5 %
28.00 g East Kent Goldings (EKG) [5.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 6 19.6 IBUs
25.00 g Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 7 3.8 IBUs
1.0 pkg SafAle English Ale (DCL/Fermentis #S-04) [23.66 ml] Yeast 8 -
25.00 g Ella (aka Stella) [15.00 %] - Dry Hop 5.0 Days Hop 9 0.0 IBUs
20.00 g Cascade [5.50 %] - Dry Hop 5.0 Days Hop 10 0.0 IBUs

Gravity, Alcohol Content and Color
Est Original Gravity: 1.042 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.013 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 3.8 %
Bitterness: 23.5 IBUs
Est Color: 41.5 EBC
Mash Profile
Mash Name: Single Infusion, Full Body, No Mash Out
Sparge Water: 17.73 l
Sparge Temperature: 75.6 C
Mash In Add 10.43 l of water at 75.7 C 68.9 C 45 min
Sparge: Fly sparge with 17.73 l water at 75.6 C

Interesting grain bill, if that's what goes into it no wonder nobody's been able to clone it. Everything I've read warns of crystal upwards of 10%. Might have to put this on the 'to do' list.

Yeah - a really interesting US-style take on an English Mild.
Not just 22.5% of any crystal, but 22.5% of Dark crystal! Wow - in a lighter beer i'm a bit surprised it can pull it off (though i think Manticle's milds might do something similar with high crystal?).
Understandably high mash, though i would've thought 45mins would bring it back to the equivalent of 67°C.

68.9°C? What happens if you mash at 69°C? :p

Great to see the recipe.
Thanks a truckload!!

technobabble66 said:
Not just 22.5% of any crystal, but 22.5% of Dark crystal! Wow - in a lighter beer i'm a bit surprised it can pull it off (though i think Manticle's milds might do something similar with high crystal?).
Crystal in my mild is about 250g in 3.5 kg total grist. High short mash is the key. Not super sweet, just full and full flavoured. Also either heritage or mix of light, med, dark.

Glad your beer turned out how you wanted chrisluki.

technobabble66 said:
Understandably high mash, though i would've thought 45mins would bring it back to the equivalent of 67°C.

68.9°C? What happens if you mash at 69°C? :p

Great to see the recipe.
Thanks a truckload!!
Yeah you are right, it is definitely a hybrid sort of beer.

As for the mash temps etc...i dont think i changed them, left that to Beersmith...so there may be a tweak to make there? if so, let me know how you go if you change it.

manticle said:
Crystal in my mild is about 250g in 3.5 kg total grist. High short mash is the key. Not super sweet, just full and full flavoured. Also either heritage or mix of light, med, dark.

Glad your beer turned out how you wanted chrisluki.
Thanks

I reckon it could do with some tweaks from some more experienced brewers, as discussed here, before the final version is settled upon...so send them through if you have suggestions.

Looking forward to beer o'clock tonight with a couple of mates coming over to try this...I've asked them to be brutally honest with their tasting thoughts!

The mates verdict?

I'm really keen to knock up a good Rogers clone. I just brewed this concoction I came up with yesterday:

Rogers Clone
American Amber Ale
Recipe Specs
----------------
Batch Size (L): 24.0
Total Grain (kg): 4.250
Total Hops (g): 58.00
Original Gravity (OG): 1.039 (°P): 9.8
Final Gravity (FG): 1.010 (°P): 2.6
Alcohol by Volume (ABV): 3.83 %
Colour (SRM): 18.1 (EBC): 35.6
Bitterness (IBU): 25.3 (Tinseth - No Chill Adjusted)
Brewhouse Efficiency (%): 70
Boil Time (Minutes): 60
Grain Bill
----------------
3.800 kg Traditional Ale (Joe White) (89.41%)
0.300 kg Dark Crystal (Joe White) (7.06%)
0.150 kg Chocolate (Joe White) (3.53%)
Hop Bill
----------------
8.0 g Magnum (German) Pellet (14.5% Alpha) @ 80 Minutes (Boil) (0.3 g/L)
25.0 g Cascade Leaf (8.6% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes (Boil) (1 g/L)
25.0 g Cascade Leaf (8.6% Alpha) @ 0 Days (Dry Hop) (1 g/L)
Misc Bill
----------------
5.0 g Calcium Chloride @ 0 Minutes (Mash)
5.0 g Epsom Salt (MgSO4) @ 0 Minutes (Mash)
15.0 g Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) @ 0 Minutes (Mash)
2.0 g Whirlfloc Tablet @ 10 Minutes (Boil)
50.0 g Silica Dioxide @ 9 Days (Primary)
2.0 g Gelatin @ 7 Days (Primary)
Single step Infusion at 67°C for 60 Minutes.
Fermented at 18°C with Safale US-05
Notes
----------------
* '0' minute additions are cube hops.
Recipe Generated with BrewMate

Yep - also waiting for the mates verdict on the side-by-side.

Looks decent iJosh.
I see you chickened out on the 22% dark Crystal :lol:
I'm keen to hear how the mouthfeel works out. Your mash temp seems a bit low for a mild.
Also on a minor note, I'm assuming you're prepared for a possible difference in the effect of the yeast. S04 has a 75% attenuation and US05 has an 81% attenuation. That might be a bit disappointing in a mild beer. Not brewed anything like this so I'm really regurgitating all the stuff I've read on milds, but I thought you might like to know (in case you haven't pitched your yeast yet).
Good luck and report back also.

iJosh said:
The mates verdict?

I'm really keen to knock up a good Rogers clone. I just brewed this concoction I came up with yesterday:
I was very happy with their responses.

4 mates tried it, all loved it...and they weren't just being nice. All 4 had tasted Rogers before and one of them was a regular JSQ Constable drinker who said he would prefer mine to COnstable, so I was happy with that.

I had a few more myself and while I am happy with the beer, if i compare the final colour to Rogers it is probably a little too dark. Plus there is a slight after taste that I cant really describe, back of the tongue, lingers a bit.

I have a few craft brewery mates coming down next week to stay at my house and tour the hop fields...one of them is the head brewer and I am going to get him to taste this and my other beers and work out a few of my gremlins...I will be interested to see what he thinks of my Rogers tribute!

technobabble66 said:

Looks decent iJosh.
I'm keen to hear how the mouthfeel works out. Your mash temp seems a bit low for a mild.
Also on a minor note, I'm assuming you're prepared for a possible difference in the effect of the yeast. S04 has a 75% attenuation and US05 has an 81% attenuation. That might be a bit disappointing in a mild beer. Not brewed anything like this so I'm really regurgitating all the stuff I've read on milds, but I thought you might like to know (in case you haven't pitched your yeast yet).
i think i will back out the 22% crystal a bit...I used that to get the colour right in Beersmith, but the real colour came out a bit darker than i would have liked so i will back off on that.

chrisluki said:
... Plus there is a slight after taste that I cant really describe, back of the tongue, lingers a bit...
I'd be guessing that's astringency from the high level of crystal, esp given it's dark.
I'd guess you could either steep the crystal in cold water over night instead of throwing it into the mash or drop the amount of crystal. It sounds like you're going to do the latter. I'd consider the former also.
I've done a mini 90% crystal batch as an experiment (v educational) and was surprised by the extreme astringency it has and essentially no sweetness. This is heavily altered/masked by blending with other stuff at low proportions but as soon as the crystal gets too high I find that astringency pops straight out.
Steeping cold is meant to minimize this, but I'd guess it can only help so much.
2c

technobabble66 said:
I'd be guessing that's astringency from the high level of crystal, esp given it's dark.
I'd guess you could either steep the crystal in cold water over night instead of throwing it into the mash or drop the amount of crystal. It sounds like you're going to do the latter. I'd consider the former also.
I've done a mini 90% crystal batch as an experiment (v educational) and was surprised by the extreme astringency it has and essentially no sweetness. This is heavily altered/masked by blending with other stuff at low proportions but as soon as the crystal gets too high I find that astringency pops straight out.
Steeping cold is meant to minimize this, but I'd guess it can only help so much.
2c
Great advice...I will give it a crack.
Definitely going to play with the grain bill a bit on my next try...but i think the beer i tasted last night is a really good start,

technobabble66 said:

Looks decent iJosh.
I had already brewed my 'Rogers' and came across this thread by chance, so that's why I didn't go for the full 22% :)

About the yeast... I go to LC in Freo regularly so I get to sample Rogers nice and fresh on tap. I can't say I ever detect the typical English yeast character in it, to me it's more floral than fruity. I also figured they are using US style yeast with the Pale, Bright, and IPA, so why would they use something different with Rogers. I have no evidence to back that assumption up though! I've already bought the US-05 so will use it this time around and maybe try English next time if I'm not happy.

Another thought... I have an ESB/Mild (4.7% so more ESB I guess) on tap at home at the moment that has a Maris Otter base, just over 10% Simpsons medium crystal with 2% Choc and used Mangrove Jacks Burton Union yeast. To me it has a good bit more body than Rogers does and is quite caramely which I've never associated with Rogers. Rogers has the body of a slightly bigger beer (maybe 4.5%?), but I wouldn't call it full bodied in the true sense. I think that's part of why it's so drinkable too, but I'm no expert that's for sure :)

With my dry hops I plan to use them in my Randal rather than the traditional method. Rogers hop character is so fresh, and the only way I've been able to capture that at home so far is with Randy. I highly recommend every homebrewer who kegs to make a Randal BTW, they are awesome.

I'll report back in a few weeks when it's done!

Cheers.

Thought you might be interested in this pic I took today down at the brewery

2015-02-28 23.16.08.jpg

Interestingly there's no mention of dark crystal...

Latest posts

Back