Mill Motors

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The shaft couplers in the last few pictures, where do you guys get those? I bought a pre-assembled mill and it is a direct rod from gearbox to mill which concerns me if something goes wrong. In fact I've already blown the speed controller up due to some hard grain which I still need to get my electronics on and try to repair.

Shaft couplers are to absorb harmonic vibrations, not to absorb giant torque shocks btw.

Thx, the motor and gearbox does roll around slightly when running and it loosened one of the brackets holding it into the wood. I imagine one of these couplers/shear pins will dampen some of that movement.

Anyone know the motion dynamics shaft diameter to suit? Looks like I'm looking for a spider coupler and then two shear pins to suit either side at whatever length I need to couple the gearbox and mill together?

Motion dynamics supplies 12mm rod with their motor. The spider coupler will need to suit that on one side, and what ever mill size on the other. Since the coupler joins directly to the mill shaft there is no shear pin on that side. Where the rod goes through the mill is the only spot for the shear pin, all I've used is an old nail for it.

The motion dynamics motor and gearbox assembly I have had a hollow shaft you put the drive rod through with a hole on one side of it for the sheer pin to go through. The sheer pin is the only thing transferring the torque from the mother to the drive shaft. It also needs to be sized appropriately so if you hit a rock in the grain it will actually sheer off. I just use a small cotter pin in mine.

Rightio, there is a dodgy looking nail on mine which must be performing the shear pin function. As for the coupler would it in fact compensate/dampen any slight alignment issue to stop the gearbox/motor 'wriggling' whilst in motion?

Mine isnt aligned properly and it seems to be working fine 18 months (?) down the track. Plus there is a fair bit of movement in the roller which means there is always a 3mm or so gap in the coupler. no matter how may times I push it together it always opens up.
It will wear it out eventually I guess but no signs of wear so far.

mines also not 100% perfect alignment. many years later still doing its job

Anyone ordered one of these lately? I had a look on their site to add to the new MM mill from the BB but site says no stock. Looking for a sensing version w/o the shaft.

It's said "no stock" for at least two months. I needed the wiring diagram a couple of months ago so I was on the site then. Would be worthwhile giving them a bell.

I called a few weeks ago and they said they would expect stock to be available after Christmas

That's a bummer for them. By then most of the BB crowd would have hacked together something else so that they can use their new MM.

Things may have changed since I rang so might be worth getting in touch. I have since sourced an alternate.

Quick question about wiring the motion dynamics mill motor: does cable size matter much? If I use wires that I've removed from an old extension lead will there be any detrimental effects? If so - can someone please recommend wire size.

Thanks

Last edited:
Quick question about wiring the motion dynamics mill motor: does cable size matter much? If I use wires that I've removed from an old extension lead will there be any detrimental effects? If so - can someone please recommend wire size.

Thanks
If your talking about the main power feed, then yes size does matter ( and any honest woman will tell you the same, yer can't whip cream with a tooth pick) any way Main power lines I would be using nothing less than 6mm square (super and sub fonts I just can't find since the upgrade).

MJ

If your talking about the main power feed, then yes size does matter ( and any honest woman will tell you the same, yer can't whip cream with a tooth pick) any way Main power lines I would be using nothing less than 6mm square (super and sub fonts I just can't find since the upgrade).

MJ

I should have been more specific.
Using a 12V 30A power supply. My query was regarding wire sizing on the 12V side. Any significant issues using 6mm2 cable on the 12V circuit?

I should have been more specific.
Using a 12V 30A power supply. My query was regarding wire sizing on the 12V side. Any significant issues using 6mm2 cable on the 12V circuit?
Thats what I ran for several car bits and pieces when I added lights, winch, fridge etc. And I did mean DC side(12v) as it is high current @ 30amps.

Latest posts

Back