Mill Motors

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jaded and Bitter said:
You can get the EBay couplers with different shaft size either end, thats what I used.

3 phase is much more power than you need to run your mill (which I don't have a problem with) consider using a shear pin in your shaft in case you get yourself tangled up in it.
I havent had any luck finding an ebay one that does 1/2" to 18mm. Its a 3 phase motor because i want to run it on a vsd fron a single phase to give speed adjustment. Was cheaper than using DC speed control.

husky said:
I havent had any luck finding an ebay one that does 1/2" to 18mm. Its a 3 phase motor because i want to run it on a vsd fron a single phase to give speed adjustment. Was cheaper than using DC speed control.
You could get an EBay 1/2 to 1/2 and drill one side out to 18 mm.

Although my ebay one took a few weeks to turn up.

husky said:
Get a lovejoy, you wont regret it they're solid as a rock. I think the mob I got mine off was based in sydney, if you google lovejoy supplier/distributor australia you should find em

BSC Motion Technology
Australia Warehouse
37 Heathcote Road Moorebank, Sydney
Australia,
AU
Show Map
Phone: 011-61-29-824-2099
Fax: 011-61-29-824-2145
Products: Couplings & Power Transmission

So after a really long wait for my power supply to arrive, I have finally finished my Grain Mill.

Grain mill.png

I'd dare say it'd be the one mentioned in the OP
www.motiondynamics.com.au

Finally got the motor and VSD sorted. There is no marking on the worm drive to indicate gear reduction so I wasn't sure what speeds I was going to get. At 60Hz I'm only getting 18RPM, might be a slow crush!!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Husky
No problem, you will have time for a second drink during the crush
;)

James
Zwitter

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

fishingbrad said:
So after a really long wait for my power supply to arrive, I have finally finished my Grain Mill.
Nice work FB. Pretty much what I'm going to do.
What length of shaft did you get from the coupler to the motor? I see Motion Dynamics sell them.
Did you get the standard 25A or sensing 25A controller?

For anyone that has recently just set one of these up, did you get,
1. The standard 25A or sensing 25A controller?
2. Stainless rod from MD & what length. ( Coupler to mill motor )
Just working out how I'm going to mount mine.

Sensing. I used aluminium rod from ebay as I figured it would be easier to drill. Some zenith galv brackets I got from the local hardware fit perfectly without any additional drilling. Check out my photos a couple of pages back. Definitely not as pretty as some others, but piss easy mounting configuration.

Engibeer said:
Sensing. I used aluminium rod from ebay as I figured it would be easier to drill. Some zenith galv brackets I got from the local hardware fit perfectly without any additional drilling. Check out my photos a couple of pages back. Definitely not as pretty as some others, but piss easy mounting configuration.
Looks good mate.
What length rod from coupler to mill motor, 200mm to 250mm?

Crusty said:
Looks good mate.
What length rod from coupler to mill motor, 200mm to 250mm?
I ordered 300mm as it only cost $11 and just cut to length with a hacksaw.

I couldn't recommend any particular length as your mounting setup might vary greatly.

Engibeer said:
I ordered 300mm as it only cost $11 and just cut to length with a hacksaw.

I couldn't recommend any particular length as your mounting setup might vary greatly.
Cheers.
I think 250mm will be long enough for my setup.
I'll go ahead & order the mill package tonight. I see that MD states that the extra money for the sensing controller is really not needed but I'll make up my mind tonight. Quite a few people are ordering the sensing unit though.

I went the extra and got the sensing controller.

There are probably as many ways to mount these as there are homebrewers who have one! I made up two angle brackets with holes at the appropriate height to get the shaft to align correctly with the mill shaft. The mill itself is mounted on a pair of C sections, with some flat gal along either side to fill in the gap between the bottom of the mill and the wooden box it's all sitting on.

As for the shaft, I got the S/S, but without a mate with the right gear to drill it, it would have been a right *******. I think mild steel rod would do the job, and MUCH easier to drill.

Mill motor mounting.jpg

evoo4u said:
I went the extra and got the sensing controller.

There are probably as many ways to mount these as there are homebrewers who have one! I made up two angle brackets with holes at the appropriate height to get the shaft to align correctly with the mill shaft. The mill itself is mounted on a pair of C sections, with some flat gal along either side to fill in the gap between the bottom of the mill and the wooden box it's all sitting on.

As for the shaft, I got the S/S, but without a mate with the right gear to drill it, it would have been a right *******. I think mild steel rod would do the job, and MUCH easier to drill.
attachicon.gif
Mill motor mounting.jpg
Nicely done.
I think I'm solid on the sensing controller & looking at switching power supplies. I found this guy on ebay in Australia & looking at this 12V-30A 360W version.
I know the 20A is suitable but even MD stated that the 30A will be good & will have a touch more torque. He also warned of some mislabeled units floating around. Anyone see any problems with this one.

Crusty said:
Nicely done.
I think I'm solid on the sensing controller & looking at switching power supplies. I found this guy on ebay in Australia & looking at this 12V-30A 360W version.
I know the 20A is suitable but even MD stated that the 30A will be good & will have a touch more torque. He also warned of some mislabeled units floating around. Anyone see any problems with this one.
Crusty,
I went with the power supply- (Ebay seller) Motion Dynamics links on his web site. Chinese seller, slow boat. But that's the one he recommends. and yes I went the 30A. Also to answer your previous questions, I did go the sensing control (Because there was no other choice at the time) and I think it was 200mm SS rod. and I end up chopping off 100mm. Used a split pin 3mm to connect to the motor and a spider coupler to the mill (Ebay links in earlier posts). I found SS to be fine to work with- sharp drill bit, right speed, right pressure and some lube.

Note; if you are going with the sensing controller his wiring diagram needs updating. Diagram shows 2 external trim pots. 1 to control speed. 1 to control current limit. You only need 1 to control speed as the current limiter is an "on Board" trim pot. I found out after I had mounted everything and a few emails back and forth.

Cheers.

Grain Mill MD mounted.jpg

Back