Mill Motors

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wish I hadn't bought one of those cheap drills to run my mill, not happy with it at all.

One of these motors/controllers is next on my wish list, might be a while before I can get it past swmbo though

motiondynamics said:
Partial Man

osted Today, 08:07 AM

@motiondynamics - can this run at 12V to half the RPM? http://www.motiondyn...or-450-rpm.html

It can, but it doesn't have the torque, its only 1.2nm or something like that, It would stall all the time.
Bugger. I just don't know where I can get a 24V power supply for cheap over here. 12V's are a dim a dozen....

Hunt said:
Bugger. I just don't know where I can get a 24V power supply for cheap over here. 12V's are a dim a dozen....
2 x 12 = 24

But the motor you're looking at still hasn't enough torque - even at 24V

Can anyone show me some photos of how they hooked up the on/off switch and the throttle?

I'm actually quite disappointed with the instructions from motion dynamics, it might as well be in Chinese...

Plus the picture of the control board supplied with the motor is different to the one I recieved??

It was sold to me as a 'ready to go' motor which I can definitely say that it is not.

I had no doubt that it is a good motor, by the fact that I have had to mount the controller and switches myself AND have to pay for a sparky to hook the moody thing up because the instructions were amateurish at best, means that this too good to be true deal is exactly that.

It has cost me an extra $190 on top o the cost for the motor and controller, and I haven't even got the sparky around yet.

When I emailed them for support I got sent a link I to this thread... WTF?? I know this thread, I have asked you for help directly in it!!

Can anyone help me?

When I emailed them for support I got sent a link I to this thread... WTF?? I know this thread, I have asked you for help directly in it!!
No... When you asked me "Don't suppose you have a photo of one mounted and working that I can use as a guide?"
I pointed you to this thread where there are pictures and links to what other members have done, which is exactly what you asked to see. I don't build the mills, creative members do that, I just supply a suitable motor and controller that are for the most part easy to wire in. The only part I don't advise on is the power supply because of the danger of people getting electrocuted. But even on these there is only 4 wires that need to be hooked up.

I don't understand why you had to spend $190 additional. A coupler as far as I am aware is not that expensive? Nor is a power supply.
Its also a pretty straight forward hookup, the controller is pre-set up so you don't need to touch any jumpers, all you need to do is wire it up.

If you want to email me a picture of where you are at, I will help you with the wiring for the motor and controller.

Appreciate you getting back to me, sorry about venting publicly.

I will contact you privately when I get a chance to take photos of where I am up to.

Don't get discouraged... out of the hundreds sold, many people have had the same problem...

well... not really, you are the only one, but I'll help you nut it out :beerbang:
Going by the date you got it, yours is the controller revision prior to the current one. So just email me or phone me and I'll talk you through it

Seriously though, I don't understand how you spent an additional $190... the power supply at most $40 and the coupling is cheap too

The below picture gives you an overview of how the unit is wired up. Please do not attempt to wire the Power supply yourself! leave this to the professionals as electricity can and WILL kill you!
If you guys can give me the shaft dimensions of different mills, I may see if I can get some couplings in for the different types of mills people have so that way when you get the kit, you can at least directly hook it up to your mills. Then you only have to worry about the switchmode power supply and the mounting of the unit. I'll try and make it as painless as I possibly can.

The switch mode power supplies can be found on eBay here:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/12V-30A-360W-Switch-Power-Supply-Driver-For-LED-Strip-Light-Display-220-110V-14-/190657486351?

They are $26.25 and include free shipping.

brewer3.jpg

:ph34r: Is there a way I can block this thread from coming up when I visit AHB? I've followed it intermittently and am getting closer each day to ordering one of these motors but I'll be sleeping on the street if the wife catches me buying any more brew gear...she still doesn't know about the 2 extra kegs I ordered on the weekend yet :D

I thought you said a 12 v power supply, like the one you linked to, wouldn't supply enough torque?

No, a 12V @ 30A is great, any lower though and the mill will probably struggle (especially on the bigger mills). Its a current hungry motor and the more you give it, the more torque it has.
If you ran it with a 35 or 40A you'd get even more torque,

motiondynamics said:
Glad that you've given these the tick of approval. I bought this exact one a few weeks ago. Took about 3 weeks to arrive and won't have a chance to use it for another month. And after getting 2 20A PS's which I've now worked out don't give enough grunt, I'm glad to have the right one.

If I give my mate the other 20A supply (he already has one), surely he could tie the 2 together in parallel and get plenty of grunt for his mill?

motiondynamics said:
No, a 12V @ 30A is great, any lower though and the mill will probably struggle (especially on the bigger mills). Its a current hungry motor and the more you give it, the more torque it has.
If you ran it with a 35 or 40A you'd get even more torque,
Thanks for the clarification...

motiondynamics said:
The below picture gives you an overview of how the unit is wired up. Please do not attempt to wire the Power supply yourself! leave this to the professionals as electricity can and WILL kill you!
If you guys can give me the shaft dimensions of different mills, I may see if I can get some couplings in for the different types of mills people have so that way when you get the kit, you can at least directly hook it up to your mills. Then you only have to worry about the switchmode power supply and the mounting of the unit. I'll try and make it as painless as I possibly can.

The switch mode power supplies can be found on eBay here:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/12V-30A-360W-Switch-Power-Supply-Driver-For-LED-Strip-Light-Display-220-110V-14-/190657486351?

They are $26.25 and include free shipping.

brewer3.jpg

Doesn't get much simpler than that!

I'll bookmark this for when I get areound to buying one of these motors

The rated current of the motor is 16A (200W) !!!, but you can overdrive them to about 35-40A after which they will just stall. At this point the motor power output is somewhere around 480W, but it doesn't seem to bother the motor much.
It's also proven to be a powerful enough motor and fast enough for Motion Sims too! They use them in cockpit simulators for computer racing games.

G'day MotionDynamics,

Great work and great thread. I'm just amazed at the effort that has gone into this. I've been into electronics for over 20 years now, and I know how tedious and tiring it is soldering bits and pieces to a PCB to come up with a working product (I'm also into HAM radio too - I've soldered up SMD power amps and gear as well..... talk about painful)

The only feature that I'm holding out on is the current limiter. If it had this I would purchase straight away, do you have an ETA as to if and when this feature might be implemented?

Cheers,
Matt

PS - I could help out by building some controllers if you need hehehe ;)

Latest posts

Back