Marks Home Brew confirmed to stay open then sold

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
manticle said:
Which kitchen staff get $50 p/h?
Thats a totall inclusive cost for a public holiday.

Std wage + penalty + min shift + super....

Kitchen staff ( chef,cook etc ) get min 6hrs.

It adds up for a business owner very quickly.

Must be an nsw thing. Public holiday/penalty rates went out the window here in most establishments courtesy of kennet I believe. Whatever the circumstance I got penalties for sundays when I was in year 11 (1992) and thereafter (13 years in hospitality) I got a flat rate every day of the week till I quit the industry in 2005. Got between 10 and 15 an hour depending on where I worked. Got fucked over by small business owners a lot too.

Well..that came from the owners..and they play by the rules. I didnt realise that Chef has min 6hr shift.

But,as they said, you only open the kitchen to the public for 2hr over lunch...but its the prep time then the cleaning after ready for next shift.

There is only 1hr between when lunch staff finish and dinner staff start.

And I have sat in the bar and watched the change over.

Its not hard to see why running a pub with a bistro is not thag easy

Wide eyed & legless

I wasn't being selfish. I can source my all grain supplies elsewhere as I'm sure you can.

But I do agree that this is entirely a decision for Mark. My idea is not a goer. It relied on a lot of others & clearly there are not a lot of others.

I'll let Mark get on with his business & won't be contributing to this thread again.

I wish him all the best as we all do.

DG

As one of the only people to have ever been banned from Marks shop, I hope he keeps going!

I remember last time this happened, I was a very active brewer and forum member, and dedicated MHB costomer, and recieved many phone calls and emails from many MHB "fan boys" of the day saying "what are we going to do??? Where will we get malt???"

We waited for months, I believe Mark was ill at the time, and when we all ran out of malt the phone calls and emalis from the fan boys increased. I organised a bulk buy of malt at zero personal profit to supply myslef and MHB's fan boys that needed it and I wont go into details on what happened after that.

I cant say i missed the messy, dirty shop, long waits, 2nd hand smoke and stale hops in the well sniffed containers in the fridge etc, but I did miss Marks enthusasiam and knowledge in the brewing craft.

Even after i was made not welcome I sent people to shop with MHB, and i hope he keeps things ticking over.

Tony said:
As one of the only people to have ever been banned from Marks shop, I hope he keeps going!

I remember last time this happened, I was a very active brewer and forum member, and dedicated MHB costomer, and recieved many phone calls and emails from many MHB "fan boys" of the day saying "what are we going to do??? Where will we get malt???"

We waited for months, I believe Mark was ill at the time, and when we all ran out of malt the phone calls and emalis from the fan boys increased. I organised a bulk buy of malt at zero personal profit to supply myslef and MHB's fan boys that needed it and I wont go into details on what happened after that.

I cant say i missed the messy, dirty shop, long waits, 2nd hand smoke and stale hops in the well sniffed containers in the fridge etc, but I did miss Marks enthusasiam and knowledge in the brewing craft.

Even after i was made not welcome I sent people to shop with MHB, and i hope he keeps things ticking over.
Wow. How did u get banned?

I ordered a pallet of malt from another supplier when Mark was unable to supply malt

Mark hates bulk buys

Does anybody know about the phone situation at MHB? Put an order through his site and have tried to call to confirm if it's ready but the phone number is disconnected... then I saw this thread and my heart skipped a beat. Is he in fact still up and running?

Dane_wk said:
Does anybody know about the phone situation at MHB? Put an order through his site and have tried to call to confirm if it's ready but the phone number is disconnected... then I saw this thread and my heart skipped a beat. Is he in fact still up and running?
What day/time did you call? He's closed Mondays as far as I'm aware

i was there Saturday, and it was open, with ~5 BB bags waiting to be picked up

i just called before aswell to see if he had some hops in stock....line is disconnected. Id say he is there and likely trying to sort out the phone bill.

Mark phoned me from another Newcastle land line about my order last week, confirming my new address. Maybe he's consolidating his home and shop number.

I was at the shop on Friday arvo just gone. Mark was definitely there, and advised that he has a tonne of malt arriving this week, so it may be occupying a bit of his time.

New yeast (Wyeast) stock is arriving this week too.

Maybe there is a problem with Mark's VOIP line. I'll see him this week and report here.

Les

His net is down and along with it his phone.

Consequently he hadn't even received my order yet.

I put an order in last Tuesday and only got an order confirmation. Haven't been charged. Might send him a PM.

TheWiggman said:
I put an order in last Tuesday and only got an order confirmation. Haven't been charged. Might send him a PM.
If his internet is down he won't get a PM

True, but he's been replying to AHB posts over the course of the week so I assume he has access to messages in it.

Latest posts

Back