Marks Home Brew confirmed to stay open then sold

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am amazed that he hasn't posted here, I think he has posted in another topic since this thread started.

You are of course correct PH and I stand corrected, shouldn't do post mortems if the patient is alive and kicking.
I for one pray that he keeps going, a sack of grain via Fastway to Taree for $10 freight is a winner in my books and the comp season bearing down again. :super:

Guys I'm not shutting down
Moving cost a bomb and mix in a couple of bad months (maybe just while people were finding the new shop) and every bill you can imagine and a couple I hope you cant all coming together in March - well it looked like it just wasn't all worth it.

Things are on the improve, there is going to be a bit of disruption over the next week or so but we should be back on track after Easter. I really appreciate the support that has been offered by some of my customers, its good to see the amount of support BrewBuilder is getting, it cost about $13K and took a couple of years to develop, there are some more developments to do on BrewBuilder but its running well and most of the bugs have been ironed out - I will start a new thread in the Retail section as a lot of people either don't know how to get the most out of it or haven't used it yet.

I hope we can put this difficult time behind us and get on with making good beer
Just remember if you want good local home brew shops you have to support them - I'm not just talking about me and my shop, if you have a LHBS doing the right thing or trying to, support them or they wont be there when you need them.
Mark

MHB said:
Guys I'm not shutting down
Moving cost a bomb and mix in a couple of bad months (maybe just while people were finding the new shop) and every bill you can imagine and a couple I hope you cant all coming together in March - well it looked like it just wasn't all worth it.

Things are on the improve, there is going to be a bit of disruption over the next week or so but we should be back on track after Easter. I really appreciate the support that has been offered by some of my customers, its good to see the amount of support BrewBuilder is getting, it cost about $13K and took a couple of years to develop, there are some more developments to do on BrewBuilder but its running well and most of the bugs have been ironed out - I will start a new thread in the Retail section as a lot of people either don't know how to get the most out of it or haven't used it yet.

I hope we can put this difficult time behind us and get on with making good beer
Just remember if you want good local home brew shops you have to support them - I'm not just talking about me and my shop, if you have a LHBS doing the right thing or trying to, support them or they wont be there when you need them.
Mark
Mark that is good to hear, the last few months have been tough for most small business owners. I know the Mrs and I pretty much live on toasted sandwiches and beer ;-) while my business is getting off the ground.

I am pushing your grain packages as much as possible and customers seem keen.

Everyone on the forum should definitely show their support and at least buy a kilo or two of grain from Mark each month. A little for everyone goes a long way :)

Keep on keeping on Mark, your a top bloke.

I'll give you a call on Monday to discuss some stock I need :)

Awesome!

Great to hear Mark - very much looking forward to your brewbuilder thread, I think i've got the hand of it but always keen to learn more.

Thats fantastic news Mark! Make sure you are charging enough for grain so you stay around for a long time. We'd be lost without you!

Hpal said:
Thats fantastic news Mark! Make sure you are charging enough for grain so you stay around for a long time. We'd be lost without you!
Fully agree, charge enough to stay in business please :beerbang:

Good to hear Mark, I'll have to make an order soon for some stuff I can't get locally :)

Good news, Mark. Without your shop I'd have been stuck drinking the rubbish I used to make outta goop from a can (no offence to kit brewers - Mark gave me TONS of advice back when I started about yeast management that made my kits 100% better)

I'm in the middle of building a bar/keezer set up, and once that's done I'll be in to bug you with questions - I may even buy something.

Good to hear about BB instructions. Been using it for a year and love it, but still reckon I could learn how to use it better.

GB.

Have a look on www.ubrew.com.au , easy as, just register and put in your brew house details and there are heapsdof recipes you can brew. Awesome program. You can also enter your own recipes and order them straight from brew builder.

There is a minor delay between when you register on www.ubrew.com.au and when you get access to brewbuilder, or at least there was for me.

Thanks guys.
I registered but no access to anything.
I'll see what happens after a little while.
Cheers

Crusty said:
Thanks guys.
I registered but no access to anything.
I'll see what happens after a little while.
Cheers
Mark gets a notification and sets up access manually I think. Try again on Monday or Tuesday.

acarey said:
Mark gets a notification and sets up access manually I think. Try again on Monday or Tuesday.
Ah, thanks for that.
No wonder I couldn't see it anywhere.
Cheers.

Crusty- It may take a couple days to be activated, when you get in and start playing with it make sure you actually order and not just design recipes... Your account can also be de-activated if you are just using it without ever buying anything (just food for thought).

Glad to hear it was just a bit of a rough patch in the transition period and not the end of the shop, it is my go to for brew related anything (when I can get the opportunity to brew) so good news.

I can't help but wonder though if stocking ingredients necessary* for knk and extract wouldn't still be worthwhile, if not for their small profits then at least as a gateway to All grain for new brewers, a bit of diversity and catering to a wider audience...

It seems like the mindset being employed at the "Newcastle Home brew shop" (As well as the jerky, fwk's and cheese making gear) and apparently they're really busy. Good luck to them.

Get the customer base, be ready for their journey to the darkside. :beerbang:

*-May actually be more trouble than it's worth stocking for knk & extract, I know he used to so maybe there's a reason he's not anymore!

Maybe he just can't stand lying to all those people.

Mark is a very helpful contributor here and has helped answer some of the really obscure questions at times, mine included. I wish him the best.

Great news that Marks back on deck. But with all the talk of him closing down I had to get in on the Sydney Bulk buy.(Mark may of been going out of business, but I was'nt)
Anyway, now I got 75kg of grain and 1kg of hops to burn through before I can be back supporting my LHBS again.
Dont I feel like a prick?

If the Hunter and CC Lads could get together and organise a BB through Marks that would give him a profit and the locals a fair price then it would give him cash flow and save the Hunterites going through Sydney. I'd be in that as well and judging by the previous posts there's a fair few locals who AG and increasing all the time. For example warra48 has just moved to Nelson Bay and will no doubt be firing his brewhouse up shortly ...

Latest posts

Back