Marks Home Brew confirmed to stay open then sold

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

freek

Reaction score
I am gutted to learn that Mark has been doing it tough and is on the verge of closing his doors. Last week he was out of base malt and did not know if he was going to order more. No dramas to be out of a certain type of yeast or fancy hop, but this is something else.

Mark has provided such a handy service to me over the last two years, and without him I probably would not have stuck it out with all grain brewing. For me it was also sad to see him so depressed about his financial situation.

I wish there was something that I could do to help out, but feel there is nothing that can be done. If nothing else I want to salute this man for what he has done for me.

Moderator's post : See this post for confirmation that MHB will be remaining in business in the forseeable future:
http://aussiehomebrewer.com/topic/79400-marks-home-brew-confirmed-to-stay-open/?p=1161975

freek said:
I am gutted to learn that Mark has been doing it tough and is on the verge of closing his doors. Last week he was out of base malt and did not know if he was going to order more. No dramas to be out of a certain type of yeast or fancy hop, but this is something else.

Mark has provided such a handy service to me over the last two years, and without him I probably would not have stuck it out with all grain brewing. For me it was also sad to see him so depressed about his financial situation.

I wish there was something that I could do to help out, but feel there is nothing that can be done. If nothing else I want to salute this man for what he has done for me.
Gee, that really sucks. ( if he is closing down )
It's a shame to see people end up in that situation & working your arse off these days just doesn't seem to pay.
I don't know the guy personally & have never been a customer of his but I hate seeing anyone close shop for business, especially one that he is obviously passionate about. I'm sure I speak for a lot of us forum members when I too send a shout out to Mark's Homebrew.
Here's hoping that the financial crap won't cloud his judgement & we hope he gets through it, eventually.
Cheers MHB.

It will be a real shame if he can't continue to provide the widest range of malts at the lowest prices plus with the use of brew builder. I've been a customer for a few years now and am at odds to figure our how or where to get my ale grain knowledge and Ingredients from.

Maybe a BB through him might be a good gesture from the local AHBers

I thought he just relocated?

I'm sure I can find something I need in his store I'll need...

Jump in peeps, support.

I'd buy an oxygen setup if he got them in again but maybe just hold off on the speculation till the man himself can respond.

I talked to him on Thursday 3/4/14 and was very sad to hear him say he was probably closing down, and as the OP said, out of base malt. He said he wasn't taking orders until he decided what to do. MHB if you read this you've been a huge asset to me in your posts on the forum and I hope you find a way to make a real living from your passion.

One of the few people in this place who when they speak, you should grab a square of carpet, sit down and listen.

I hope this is something you can push through MHB, your store has always been a tremendous resource for me.

Mark's was my first foray into AG, I stopped into his shop on my drive through to Sydney and chatted with him for an hour or so in the shop (much to my wife's displeasure :) )
I haven't ordered from him recently, but if a BB will help revitalize things for a while, I'll gladly grab some stuff from him
I'm possibly moving down that way after the Mrs finishes her Uni degree as well, I really hope MHB doesn't disappear before then

I really hope he can figure out a way to keep operating and it is still worthwhile to do so.

MHB IS the go-to guy for All-grain homebrew in Newcastle/hunter.

Ridiculous amount of knowledge, best prices, and brew builder rocks.. Just wish I had more time to brew so I could show my support.

It is what it is, margins in the Home Brew industry are razor thin and people are always undercutting everybody. Just remember next time you go to order something on the cheap rather then buy it from your local retailer. What is it really going to cost you?

Rurik said:
It is what it is, margins in the Home Brew industry are razor thin and people are always undercutting everybody. Just remember next time you go to order something on the cheap rather then buy it from your local retailer. What is it really going to cost you?
This is very true
I'm happy to spend the $10-$15 extra for a sack of grain at my LHBS if it means He's going to be around the next time I need a sack
I'm a fan of a bargain, but you really do have to support your locals

This is indeed sad news. I believe Mark may have some things lined up using his connections in breweries, so I hope for Mark's sake he gets onto something good.

As for grains in Newcastle after closing time, the Newcastle Home Brew Shop at Islington is going to be stocking a much wider range of grains. I popped in today and it sounds like he's going to be purchasing Brewbuilder and doing something very similar.

He let me know to check his website in the next couple days as he's putting up a list of the grains he'll be stocking. At the moment, he's not looking to hold liquid yeasts until demand increases.

His prices will be no doubt higher than Marks, but if that keeps him in business and us drunk then that's cool!

Was just going to say. Saw that there was a competing outlet in Newcastle which may be why business is so tough for Mark.

I hope he pulls through as we ought to treasure the old experienced brewers out there. I can't do much to support since I'm in Melbourne but.

Then where am I going to get my grain (crushed), hops and yeast from locally? (Newcastle area) I really dont want to buy a mill and bulk grain. Dont know of any local suppliers

Latest posts

Back