Mangrove Jack's Stainless Steel fermenter

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mardoo said:
1964925_1002714439786656_4193991001599651604_n.jpg

3/8" or 9.52mm at the end which fits into the tap. It's machined down very slightly and they have a couple of grooves machined into them for the seals, which help make it fit tight.

Thanks for all the replies and photos so far. I think I'm sold on the olive oil drums.

Should I start a 'Olive oil drum Mega thread'?

Not sure if the Brewbucket pick-up tube will fit all Olive oil drums, they do fit the Sansone brand ones, which I bought from here.

Maybe the mods can change the name of the thread. :)

scooterism said:
Thanks for all the replies and photos so far. I think I'm sold on the olive oil drums.

Should I start a 'Olive oil drum Bulk Buy thread'?
Yes, I think you definitely should indeed.

:ph34r:

Batz said:
Might have a look after Christmas, I have plenty of SS tubing, machine a couple of grooves for O rings and away ya go.
And then offer a couple for sale on here.. I'll take one ;)

Guys I'm interested in the oil drum for a fermenter do you guys drill for a air lock or what do you use?

Hairy camel said:
Guys I'm interested in the oil drum for a fermenter do you guys drill for a air lock or what do you use?
You can easily drill the lid and fit a grommet and fermentation lock but I just use glad wrap and the O ring from under the lid holds it in place.

Thanks dicko for the reply I'm about to place a order for two
Atm my plastic ones are shitting me to tears with the taps
Time to upgrade

I took a couple of Bunnings ones back recently - they were much thinner plastic than my other two, and the taps were jumping the threads when I was screwing them in.

I got away without the receipt, so if this is applicable to you its worth a try.

Of course, stainless if you can.......

Mr B said:
I took a couple of Bunnings ones back recently -
OK for Saisons and sours. Anything else you need stainless especially lagers and pilsners.

Hey guys just a heads up to those ordering from the olive centre
They are out of stock for the 30l and 50l till late March
I'm on back order for mine atm

Batz said:
OK for Saisons and sours. Anything else you need stainless especially lagers and pilsners.
Why's that BAtz? You think the plastic gives a flavour or taste?

Dont see it in my beers, not saying your wrong at all, I would love stainless, its just pretty expensive.

Ok , bumping this thread,

I've got everything dialed in perfect now and the only thing left for me to do is go stainless fermenters and piss my plastic ones away. These have served me well over the past 25 years buying new ones every now and then but stainless is the bling.

I'm looking at getting a kegmenter like danscraftbeer uses for pressure and lagering my lagers for awhile.

Thinking if also getting a couple of these mangrove jacks stainless ones for my ales, they are on special at national homebrew for 145 with air locks and are the handle versions.

How have they been with you guys that have used these for awhile?

Would love conicals but they won't fit in my chest freezers which I use for fermentation plus the cost factor.

Cheers

I have 2 of them
They are easy cleaning, have good handles, are air tight, have good clips and for the price you cant beat them.

Happy with mine, 10 brews in, although I did replace the tap with a ball valve...

A.B. said:
Happy with mine, 10 brews in, although I did replace the tap with a ball valve...

Same situation here. Easy to replace though and well worth it.

Ordered,!!

Ordered 2 of these from national homebrew today , tks guys you were really helpful up there. Going to use these for my ales.

Ordered 1 x kegmenter with pressure release valve, going to use for my lagers. Had some very helpful chats with Dancraftbeer over past few weeks and for the money and performance these look excellent for what I need. Especially dans tips on yeast harvesting and pressure transfers etc. tks dan. can't wait to get these shiny things going.

Would have loved the conical way, but for the funds and the fact these all fit inside my 2x chest fermentation chambers . Will suit me good enough.

Now to hide the bill from the missus lol

Would it be pointless if a got a stainless fermenter and was no chilling in a cube before transferring into it?
Aside from the durability positives, I'd still be adding plastic into the mix.

Back