Mangrove Jack's Stainless Steel fermenter

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Trying to minimise risks of infection and possible stank smell my plastic fv might impart.

good4whatAlesU said:
What's wrong with a stainless stock pot?

Mine cost less than $20 and ferments just fine.

have you posted pics of your pot before good4whatAlesU? I looked as this a while back and I can't remember if I asked for pics of a pot. I know I've seen them with custom drilled taps and stuff.

Just a pot from Big W. I just siphon out, no tap.

There are SS pots with taps online if you want to go that way and they can double as an extra boil pot. Or by a tap, drill a hole etc.

Hi bc

Nothing underneath, there is usually a thread inside the front (and sometimes other end) into which you screw in a hose barb. I'm on the way to work atm. sorry can't post photos, perhaps someone would be kind enough to do so for bc?

Thanks heaps g4wAU. I can scot around and have a look too. Cheers

Something like this;

Just duck down to the bunnings plumbing section and have a bo-peep.

Hardest bit is drilling the hole through the pot, but there's a few threads and utube vids showing how to do it...

wp_ss_20170323_0002.png

good4whatAlesU said:
Valves can be had pretty economically if you like to build your own;

https://www.ibrew.com.au/products/ball-valve-bulkhead
Might pay to have a closer look at that valve?
Looks suspiciously like chrome nickel-plated brass to me.
Nothing wrong with that of course, unless your're thinking of going stainless?

Edit -- Nickel-plated not chrome.

TidalPete said:
Might pay to have a closer look at that valve?
Looks suspiciously like chrome-plated brass to me.
Nothing wrong with that of course, unless your're thinking of going stainless?
It's funny that the LHBS/retailers don't look option up the fermenters with add on kits for stainless taps etc. I'd heard the MG stainless fermenter had a steel shaft.

Second to that I'd also read brass was a no go for home brew. Brass was susceptible to releasing nasties depending on the alloy or something from memory. Happy to be corrected of course!

Hi I use these fermenters. 3/8 inch stainless is the size. I had to buy parts from various sources to make it work. Includes stuff that didn't fit.

If you want more details let me know and I will run through what I got and where.

I don't use a pickup. Just for the fermenter at the end a bit as the tap is so high up.

What ball valve did you use and did you add a pickup behind it?

Back