Mangrove Jack's Stainless Steel fermenter

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
scooterism said:
Why do you say that?
Well the main reason most brewers went for olive oil drums was that they wanted 30lt plus capacity. The MJ fermenters could not provide this.

But I'm not 100% sold on the MJ units as I posted above.. I think the handles could give trouble down the track and the tap seems a silly choice.. Maybe I'm just being picky..

The question in my first post was to ask users to give feedback on the MJ fermenters..Then all of a sudden we are talking oil drums..

And it's only Monday! :blink:

scooterism said:
The question in my first post was to ask users to give feedback on the MJ fermenters..Then all of a sudden we are talking oil drums..
One thing leads to another here, you need to get used to it. I do tend to believe it is all still within topic though.
Anyway you can get 25lt oil drums

Bugger I did it again!!

I just bought a couple of 30 litre S/S drums from the Olive Centre. The ball valve looks the goods and for those who want to add a racking arm, it just so happens that the racking arm for the Brewbucket fits perfectly.

Unfortunately you can't buy the racking arm separately, you can only buy it with the ball valve.

I've also got 2/ 26 litre Brewbucket conical fermenters and I find the size is a bit annoying.

Edit: Both options would be better than a MJ fermenter in my opinion.

Black Devil Dog said:
I just bought a couple of 30 litre S/S drums from the Olive Centre.

Could you post some pics of the oil drum? inside/outside if possible please?

Why is that?

scooterism said:

Why is that?
I can post some photos, but it'll have to be later, maybe even in a couple of days.

• Volume.
  • Brewbucket is conical, that's a great feature, it's just a shame they didn't make hem bigger.
  • Removable stainless steel ball valves.
  • Rotatable racking arm, which I can also put on the olive oil tap. Haven't used it yet though.
  • Brewbucket is stackable, which is good if you're short on fridge space and want 2 fermenters.
  • The olive oil drums are short in height, but large in diameter, I can easily 2 into my narrow F&P fridge, maybe 3 if I needed.

Smaller fermemters are ok to brew lagers in, but ales and wheats need more head space.

scooterism said:
Any photos of the Winequip SS tap?
Sounds rather like an Olive Oil Drum question rather than a Mangrove Jacks Stainless Steel Fermenter.

Try here post #103.http://aussiehomebrewer.com/topic/80460-next-new-ss-fermenter/page-6?hl=olive Have you tried the search function ?

http://aussiehomebrewer.com/topic/79070-stainless-fermenters/?hl=olive#entry1155649
http://aussiehomebrewer.com/topic/87893-olive-oil-storage-tank-as-fermenter-need-to-do-anything/?hl=olive#entry1314128

scooterism said:
The lid seems a bit awkward to screw on properly.

10461397_1002321969825903_4613694142459291026_n.jpg

This is with a racking arm from the brewbucket fitted to the ball valve on the oil drum.

5377_1002321939825906_8434229444540981596_n.jpg

The oil drum also has a release valve.

12390860_1002321989825901_3140558460183622519_n.jpg

I'm no expert when it comes to sanitary welds, but I'm comfortable using these.

If stainless is your only motivation for your FV, why not just buy a stainless stockpot of your required size and use some sliced silicon tube around the rim- using occy straps (or similar) fastened to the handles and over the lid to provide the downward force required for a seal.

You would need a siphon to transfer, unless you installed a ball valve- weldless would be best so that it could be sanitised after each use (unless you are capable of sanitary welds of course).

The above option would be the cheapest, though the olive oil drums do look the business (sorry for the MJ off topic).

Black Devil Dog said:
This is with a racking arm from the brewbucket fitted to the ball valve on the oil drum.

5377_1002321939825906_8434229444540981596_n.jpg
So you have the racking arm just pushed into the tap?
There is a fair bit of dead space below the tap so I've been doing the whole 'lean the fermenter' to get the last parts, but that looks like a better solution (though $25+shipping is a lot for a stainless tube ;) )

scooterism said:
But I'm not 100% sold on the MJ units as I posted above.. I think the handles could give trouble down the track and the tap seems a silly choice.. Maybe I'm just being picky..

And it's only Monday! :blink:
I started with interest in the MJ S/S units, but was quickly distracted by the first shipment of Brew Buckets. So, I bought one.

Black Devil Dog said:
I just bought a couple of 30 litre S/S drums from the Olive Centre. The ball valve looks the goods and for those who want to add a racking arm, it just so happens that the racking arm for the Brewbucket fits perfectly.

Unfortunately you can't buy the racking arm separately, you can only buy it with the ball valve.

I've also got 2/ 26 litre Brewbucket conical fermenters and I find the size is a bit annoying.

Then, I blame Yob for this (but in a benign manner, of course), there was a bulk buy for the Aginox fustis from Winequip, so I bought one, along with the awesome, compact, dripless tap. I turn the tap upward and fill it with Iodophor solution during fermentation. Swivel down for samples, then back up again and refill with sanitiser between samples.

Black Devil Dog said:
I can post some photos, but it'll have to be later, maybe even in a couple of days.

• Volume.
  • Brewbucket is conical, that's a great feature, it's just a shame they didn't make hem bigger.
  • Removable stainless steel ball valves.
  • Rotatable racking arm, which I can also put on the olive oil tap. Haven't used it yet though.
  • Brewbucket is stackable, which is good if you're short on fridge space and want 2 fermenters.
  • The olive oil drums are short in height, but large in diameter, I can easily 2 into my narrow F&P fridge, maybe 3 if I needed.

Smaller fermemters are ok to brew lagers in, but ales and wheats need more head space.
My fusti (olive oil drum) is 50 litres volume and seems a much more usable size than the Brew Bucket (or MJ fermentor).
The BB is not a true conical (angle is not as steep as required), but does not pretend to be either. The racking arm is a joke, as it neither seals/works properly and is an odd angle/length that does not really make much difference to the accessible volume. Will still use it for test batches, but the tap is also a toy @ 3/8" diameter and you may need to buy new, thinner hose for it.

The Aginox SS fusti is taller than it is wide, and the Sansone brand is about 50 cm tall X 50 cm diameter, and is harder to fit into the fridge I bought for the Aginox/Winequip vessel. with capacity for 2, on separate shelves. Black Devil Dog has posted a pic of the Sansone branded fusti (wider/ shorter)

I see the Brew Bucket as a training tool, like a BB gun, but it falls short for long-term upgrade-ability. Quite happy with my fustis and will continue to use them, even after I find a fridge to fit the massive (for homebrew purposes) 80 litre cylindroconical fermentor I recently purchased (one-time opportunity/price not to be passed up).

SBOB said:
So you have the racking arm just pushed into the tap?
There is a fair bit of dead space below the tap so I've been doing the whole 'lean the fermenter' to get the last parts, but that looks like a better solution (though $25+shipping is a lot for a stainless tube ;) )
Yeah it just pushes in, quite firmly too. They come with rubber seals.

You're right, there is a lot of dead space, right about the price also. They're available locally and still going to set you back upwards of $30 delivered.

Black Devil Dog said:
Yeah it just pushes in, quite firmly too. They come with rubber seals.

You're right, there is a lot of dead space, right about the price also. They're available locally and still going to set you back upwards of $30 delivered.
did you look into whether you could buy some generic pickup tube of the same diameter?

I received a MJ ss fermenter with my Grainfather. Much better than plastic and it also doubles as a sparge HLT with the use of an over the side element.

Lots of pro's over plastic fermenters.

The con's for me are

The plastic tap is shit for transfer

Alot of waste under the tap outlet, however changing the tap and include one of those pick up tubes would fix both problems.

The handle dont look the sturdiest, however they cope well with a full fermenter.

The olive drums do look pretty though.

Cheers

Might have a look after Christmas, I have plenty of SS tubing, machine a couple of grooves for O rings and away ya go.

I've got a MJ ferm and and an Oil drum courtesy of the bulk buy as this thread is about the MJ units my impressions of them are;

-Super easy to clean and doesn't retain any odor
-Good clear volume markings
-No handles for me which can make handling a bit tricky.
-Tap is OK not great fits a standard bottling wand and breaks down easily for cleaning
-I've been really happy with mine from day one and have pushed the envelope (or glad wrap) by successfully fermenting 23 litres in it.

I don't see how you could be disappointed with one but do agree that there are better but more expensive options available.

Latest posts

Back