Mangrove Jack's Stainless Steel fermenter

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scooterism

Reaction score
So, I read the great big long thread here on the forum and I'm just wondering, those who use this fermenter, What are your impressions now?

Would you reccomend, pros/cons etc?

Looking at moving away from plastic..

and SWMBO has given the green light..

I use one Scooterism, and I like it.

I have the earlier model that doesn't have any handles on it, so it can be difficult to get in and out of the fridge. Make sure you get the one with handles.

I like stainless for a fermenter. It is easy to clean and does not hold any odours like my plastic fermenters. Be sure to only ever use a soft cloth and never anything that could scratch it.

Don't expect it to be any more accpeting of poor hygiene that the plastic though. It still needs to be treated correctly with a cleaner and sanitiser as other products.

I use mine with a temp controller, and the masking tape seems to stick better to stainless than to plastic. Not a biggie, but another thing that I like about them.

If you get one and are not happy I would be surprised.

All the best, happy Christmas, Anthony

Are the olive oil drums seamless?

I can't imagine they would be with that small opening..

Yes, seamless. The openings are actually quite well sized. Silicone seal around the edge of the lid. I don't use an airlock or gladwrap.

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1450661926.320061.jpg

Brewers only ever use the seamless olive oil drums, the opening is smaller than a fermenter but still way big enough to clean easily. In fact it makes covering with cling wrap a snap.

I love them and now own 4, I wanted a fermenter with a capacity of 30lt, nothing smaller suits my needs. No need for blow off tubes etc.

Edit: Beaten to it by Mardoo, another happy oil drum brewer :super:

aaa11.jpg

Just refresh us again on price and postage on the drums?

Bribie G said:
Just refresh us again on price and postage on the drums?
I bought mine from Thomas in Adelaide, back then it was $250 for two including GST and $55.00 to the Sunny Coast. Taps are extra.

Get the taps, or at least the Winequip ones if you buy from them. Solid stainless, autoclavable, the shiz. I didn't and I regret it.

Mine were $250 for two , plus $55 freight. I didn't like the taps and bought them from the olive centre, nice little ball value types. I'm sure there are lots of alternatives out there, just need to shop around.

I don't know if these are the same tap they include with their drums but I like them. The olive centre drums are of larger diameter and more squat. I would have had a problem fitting them in my fermenting fridge. Just beware of the dimensions of all the drums before ordering.

1-2inchtap_white.jpg

Batz said:
I don't know if these are the same tap they include with their drums but I like them.
yep, thats the tap that comes 'free' with the olive centre ones

SBOB said:
yep, thats the tap that comes 'free' with the olive centre ones
Well there's a $30.00 saving on each. :beerbang: :super:

I checked out the MJ SS ferm..and I'm not 100% sold on them, they're ok but I think the handles are the wrong type and I don't like the tap.

I also checked out the brew bucket, it's nice, the right kind of handles but a really small ball valve. The sediment trap is nice, but not really a ness. for me. and also it's $100 more.

They also had a couple of oil drums and 15L and a 50L, all round they seem nice. Didn't see any taps for these.

Does anyone have any photos of a 25/30L oil drum?

What size brews are you doing to want a 25lt one?

Latest posts

Back