Infections, Why Are Some Immune?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Borret said:
pint of lager said:
Immersion chillers will be banned along the eastern seaboard due to water shortages. They use too much water. The minister of chillers will be around to check on what sort you are running and will charge you $150 to issue a certificate of compliance.
[post="68607"][/post]​

Except in the Luxurious Hunter valley where we are still allowed to hose hard surfaces. :p (not that we do.......)

Bring on the immersion chillers marching music

Borret
[post="68609"][/post]​

Aren't the Novocastrians under self imposed restrictions so they can hoard away their treasure and refuse to sell any to the poor Coasties ;)

Can't complain ATM. We clawed our way back up to 30% storage capacity after the recent deluge - should last us at least another 2 wks if we keep taking dust showers and drinking our own urine. :beerbang:

So,

When shall we strike up the the "Chiller Manifesto" ??? :unsure:

We must make a statement against the CFWC bourgeois. :p

Warren -

warrenlw63 said:
So,

Who when shall we strike up the the "Chiller Manifesto" ??? :unsure:

We must make a statement against the CFWC bourgeois. :p

Warren -
[post="68611"][/post]​

Hey, hold your horses comrade I'm working on it :p

Shawnski

shmick said:
Borret said:
pint of lager said:
Immersion chillers will be banned along the eastern seaboard due to water shortages. They use too much water. The minister of chillers will be around to check on what sort you are running and will charge you $150 to issue a certificate of compliance.
[post="68607"][/post]​

Except in the Luxurious Hunter valley where we are still allowed to hose hard surfaces. :p (not that we do.......)

Bring on the immersion chillers marching music

Borret
[post="68609"][/post]​

Aren't the Novocastrians under self imposed restrictions so they can hoard away their treasure and refuse to sell any to the poor Coasties ;)

Can't complain ATM. We clawed our way back up to 30% storage capacity after the recent deluge - should last us at least another 2 wks if we keep taking dust showers and drinking our own urine. :beerbang:
[post="68610"][/post]​

Quit complaining comrade shmick or the NKVD will pay you a visit. All water users are equal, just some more equal than others :beerbang:

Shawnskov

Its the Volkswagen vs the Porsche.

The Peoples chiller gets you from A-B the same as the Porsche. The guy in the Porsche thinks hes better cause he paid more for it, its more high tech and its faster. But the in the Peoples immersion chiller is less complicated, cheaper to insure and repair and when it needs a bath you just give it a quick hose instead of covering it with herbs potions and lotions to keep it pristine.

Bugles blazing

Borret :blink:

Oh and both have far from desirable fuel ecconomy!

Me holding horses??? :eek:

Do you take me for a proletariat? :blink:

Warren -

Damb accademic jargon. I hate it when I have to get out the dictionary just to be bamboozled by more academic jargon.

Borret

Borret said:
Oh and both have far from desirable fuel ecconomy!
[post="68619"][/post]​

i get quite good fuel economy from my bug thank you very much.

I only metaphorically pulled out my dictionary. :p

I coincidently googled after which I became bamboozled. :D

Borret

Hey Borret - is Borret an anagram?

Why, have you got some ideas?
It was actually Borat ( from kaszakstan...Ali-G) but I spelt it wrong when I started posting on Grumpys and it stuck.
Crazy Eyes Brewery :blink: on the other hand has more significance.

Gough said:
I'm with you on that one Warren. CF chillers have always made me nervous as another source of infection.

Immersion chiller's of the world unite! :lol:
[post="68569"][/post]​
My IC sits all forlorn in the corner. The only reason why I keep it is in case my CFC happens to blow a hose, which aint going to happen real soon.

As for infection risk, my IC forces me to leave the lid off my kettle during cooling, the whole lot cools down gradually so the wort sits for a considerable period of time in a warm (bacteria friendly) state. On balance, I feel at less risk of infection using my CFC.

sosman said:
my IC forces me to leave the lid off my kettle during cooling

Not necessarily true. It's easy enough to make a lid to fit the chiller so to speak... I've got a plastic one that snaps over the top of the chiller. This covers the whole boiler during cooling. Any minor gaps or draught points can be covered with foil.

My worry with CF is this. Look at the outside of your immersion chiller when you pull it from the boiler. Dried protein/trub/hop residue cover the surface. Something similar would have to reside inside a CF chiller.

If I were to own CF again I'd be flushing it thoroughly with boiling water after use. Some form of cleaner would be even better. That said pumping boiling water through the CF for 20 mins. would have to have the same effects of boiling an immersion chiller in wort for 20 mins.

Warren -

So long as you clean a CFWC quickly and thoroughly I wouldn't be too worried about what's going on inside those pipes.

Borret said:
It was actually Borat ( from kaszakstan...Ali-G) but I spelt it wrong when I started posting on Grumpys and it stuck.

[post="68638"][/post]​

Well I was looking at it yesterday & wondering what it could mean when I realised it's an anagram for Robert (a fine name if I say so myself). But the real story is more interesting. And I'll take the bait - tell about Crazy Eyes Brewery.

RobW said:
Borret said:

[post="68638"][/post]​

Well I was looking at it yesterday & wondering what it could mean when I realised it's an anagram for Robert (a fine name if I say so myself). But the real story is more interesting. And I'll take the bait - tell about Crazy Eyes Brewery.
[post="68738"][/post]​

Crazy Eyes Brewery- If you have seen Mr Deeds (Adam Sandler movie) then I have something in common with the character Crazy Eyes (perhaps not quite that bad., but was when I was born)
The name was going to be Crazy Eyes and Son as one of my kids unfortunately inherited my condition but his corrective surgery (only a couple of months ago at the age of 13months) was more successful than mine was. He is also a coeliac (and a super sensitive one at that) so he will never drink real beer. :(

Cheers

warrenlw63 said:
sosman said:
my IC forces me to leave the lid off my kettle during cooling
My worry with CF is this. Look at the outside of your immersion chiller when you pull it from the boiler. Dried protein/trub/hop residue cover the surface. Something similar would have to reside inside a CF chiller.
[post="68710"][/post]​
Well if I let it run dry that might possibly be a problem but it never gets an opportunity, the last wort is flushed out with phos acid solution followed by rinse with cold water then recirculate phos acid.

As for lid, I'll bet your "fitted" lid is the exception rather than the rule.

I also found that there was no point starting the whirlpool until I removed the IC, with the CFC, I whirlpool as soon as I flameout.

ozbrewer said:
the standard taps come apart pretty easy to
[post="68290"][/post]​

How?? I've pulled and twisted and frigged if I can get it apart.

I just replace the tap about every 5th or so brew, or when there is visible gunk.

Back