Infections, Why Are Some Immune?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bazza said:
ozbrewer said:
the standard taps come apart pretty easy to
[post="68290"][/post]​
How?? I've pulled and twisted and frigged if I can get it apart.
[post="74032"][/post]​
It requires a hammer and something that will fit neatly inside the tap.

Bazza said:
ozbrewer said:
the standard taps come apart pretty easy to
[post="68290"][/post]​

How?? I've pulled and twisted and frigged if I can get it apart.

I just replace the tap about every 5th or so brew, or when there is visible gunk.
[post="74032"][/post]​
Stick one end in a vice and pull really hard - they do come apart, though I wouldn't say easily.

I'm too slack to read all five pages, but I've never had an infected brew (infected ruled as sour or foul tasting...as stated before I'm sure every brew has something in it that really shouldn't be there).

Flame me like mad if you will, but I clean with hot water, then use Sodium Metabisulphate with cold water, leave it while I go have a smoke and then rinse with hot tap water...used to rinse with cold water, but hot seems to flush it out more quickly (and it's much more comfortable on the hands in winter) :)

Point of note 1: I pay more attention to my fermenter taps than anything else when cleaning ;)

Point of note 2: Sodium Met does release Sulphur Dioxide when mixed with water...this lifts skin quite a bit...probably not the best idea for anyone suffering from botulism or leprosy :eek:

PZ.

jgriffin, did you ever solve this problem? I'm experienceing something almost exactly the same.

I'll be moving soon and hopefully this will help.

Never had an infection guys and I have only ever used sodium met and boiling water for sterilising fermenters and bits in two years of brewing. I brew under my highset QLDer with a dirt floor and a constant threat of windblown dust\dirt.

cheers

Browndog

jgriffin, did you ever solve this problem? I'm experienceing something almost exactly the same.

I'll be moving soon and hopefully this will help.

NRB, I had problems with air born infections on windy days, as using an immersion chiller & haven't got it covered well enough in the kettle. Now on windy days I chill the wort to approx 65C & transfer to fermenter & chill overnight in fridge before pitching. This is hot enough to knock the airbourne contaminants out & I've not lost a brew since.

cheers Ross

I've not had a problem since getting rid of our Custard Apple tree. Before that, I used to get a low level of pellicle forming Brett infections which didn't have a huge effect on flavour but were unsightly.

First brew in the new house is underway. Hopefully there won't be any problems.

And notice how its always the good batches you pull out all the stops that get infected first!

Latest posts

Back