Solar panel installation cause roof leak

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

starcmr

Reaction score
Last night I got a call from my brother which make me hesitate now.

He has a friend who has installed one 3 years before when NSW is on 60c+ buy back scheme. His friend had the 2kw system (Chinese panels and Chinese inverter) and so far the system has been working OK.

The problem is not with the PV system itself, the problem came after one+ year that his roof start to leak. So far he has asked for 6 trads persons came to look at the problem, none of them can determine what is the cause, of course the problem is not fixed. He also called in the original installer but after inspecting the panels around he claimed it is not his installation that caused the problem. This friend also claimed 80% of his friends who had PV system installed have similar problems, often the leak happened not right after the installation but happened one year or later than one year.

Could people who has your PV system installed one year or more share your experience?

What did you do to safe guard this not happening?

Besides installer selection which is decisive but hard to formula a good process, any technical issues also affecting it. e.g., could mounting kit used affecting it?

How many ways of mounting panels on the roof?

Which one is good or better/best?

Do any of your contract has some clause to cover this kind of potential issues? If you do have, would you mind to share the content?

Does any installer's insurance exist to cover this kind of potential issues?

Do you ask for the installer prior to the PV system installation to do a quick inspection (e.g., look around your ceilings) to prove your house is not currently leaking?

To get a PV system is 1000 times more trouble than to get a tv! Hesitation again.

He has a friend who has installed one 3 years before when NSW is on 60c+ buy back scheme. His friend had the 2kw system (Chinese panels and Chinese inverter) and so far the system has been working OK.

The problem is not with the PV system itself, the problem came after one+ year that his roof start to leak. So far he has asked for 6 trads persons came to look at the problem, none of them can determine what is the cause, of course the problem is not fixed. He also called in the original installer but after inspecting the panels around he claimed it is not his installation that caused the problem. This friend also claimed 80% of his friends who had PV system installed have similar problems, often the leak happened not right after the installation but happened one year or later than one year.

Could people who has your PV system installed one year or more share your experience in this roofing company springfield va?

Besides installer selection which is decisive but hard to formula a good process, any technical issues also affecting it. e.g., could mounting kit used affecting it?

Do any of your contract has some clause to cover this kind of potential issues? If you do have, would you mind to share the content?

Do you ask for the installer prior to the PV system installation to do a quick inspection (e.g., look around your ceilings) to prove your house is not currently leaking?

To get a PV system is 1000 times more trouble than to get a tv! Hesitation again.
thanks in advance for any help

Could people who has your PV system installed one year or more share your experience?

If you have a steel roof and they used aluminium to support panels instead of stainless steel, then the aluminium would react with the steel roof.

Which one is good or better/best roof replacement annandale va?

Hi Not sure if anyone has had experience when solar panels have been fitted and then experience a roof leak ? Had mine fitted this summer and with the heavy rainfall recently I now have a leak coming through one of my bedrooms near where the panels are fitted, which previously never had any issues with rain, assume it's related to maybe a broken tile or something similar during installation ? Anyway have called back the installer who will have a look.

Extruded aluminum is standard on steel roofs, the aluminum slots the mounts for the panels perfectly. They are designed for it. As long as they are insulated and sealed effectively (like grommets on a tek screw) there is nothing to worry about.
There are a thousand ways you might want to install something on a roof and as many ways to stuff it up. A competent trade, plumber or roofer will apply the correct standards and manufacturer's recommendations to minimise the possibility of a leak. You're paying for their trade experience. I've had my system for years on my shed and hasn't so much as had a drip.
He's stuck I'm afraid. If the original installer has looked at it and said he didn't cause the problem, then logically he knows what the problem is. Both of which are likely untrue if 6 other tradesmen couldn't determine the cause. Surely it is a matter of catching someone on a rainy day and seeing where the leak is in the roof cavity?

Extruded aluminum is standard on steel roofs, the aluminum slots the mounts for the panels perfectly. They are designed for it. As long as they are insulated and sealed effectively (like grommets on a tek screw) there is nothing to worry about.
There are a thousand ways you might want to install something on a roof and as many ways to stuff it up. A competent trade, plumber or roofer will apply the correct standards and manufacturer's recommendations to minimise the possibility of a leak. You're paying for their trade experience. I've had my system for years on my shed and hasn't so much as had a drip.
He's stuck I'm afraid. If the original installer has looked at it and said he didn't cause the problem, then logically he knows what the problem is. Both of which are likely untrue if 6 other tradesmen couldn't determine the cause. Surely it is a matter of catching someone on a rainy day and seeing where the leak is in the roof cavity? try this company peachtreerestorations.com
also thank you for your help

Latest posts

Back