Home made no rinse sanatizer.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave70

Le roi est mort..
Reaction score
Figure since I clean my gear with nappy wash these days, why not take it (down) to the next level.
Anybody made their own ghetto Starsan using iodine or phosphoric acid etc and not poisoned themselves?

Interesting idea..... but Starsan is pretty cheap compared to pbw. Surely for under 20bucks a year its not worth the risk?

Well think you would need to work out exactly what you wanted to make
Iodophos (under one of many trade names) is Iodine and Phosphoric Acid, to buy anymore than a couple of grams of I2 solution (or heaven forbid Iodine crystals) you will need to fill out an EUD (end user declaration) as the powers that be are going to be quietly confidant that you are using it to make Speed, or nerve gas and you are very likely to get a visit from the boys in blue.

Star San is Phosphoric acid and an industrial detergent, in either case the minimum quantity you will probable be able to buy is 20Kg of each and I would suggest you don't muck about with pure Phos acid unless you know what you are doing! It's also very expensive as industrial chemicals go.
Be very careful which surfactant you mix with strong acids, some of the reactions can be very entertaining (when viewed from a distance)

For years I was selling 5Kg jars of pure Sodium Percarbonate cheaper than no name nappy wash - it was rated for contact with food processing equipment, so a grade or two purer than poo in nappy quality and didn't contain 70% mystery filler. I'm pretty sure that if you asked around a couple of HBS's some one would do you a 20Kg bag for a very reasonable price (that's how I now buy mine), once upon a time I was getting 1/2 a pallet of Perk and 1/2 a pallet of Pink delivered together which worked out pretty well.

Never used star san before didn't realize the dilution rate was such a minuscule 2 ml per liter. A 20 liter cube of it would certainly last a while diluted at 50%.
I do like to buy in bulk where possible, but I think I'll draw the line at 4 metric tonnes of sanatizer.

Dave70 said:
Never used star san before
Blasphemer

Once upon a time, in a place far away from AHB, brewers used sanitisers other than Star-San...True story

I'm thinking of giving Citric Acid a try until I get to a homebrew shop. I can't find unscented nappy san at the local supermarket. Even the plain home brand stuff is scented at the moment. It's stunk out my FV's.
I'm just using boiling water to clean them for now.

GalBrew said:
A tad dangerous though, when compared to starsan.
The thing is though that if someone wants to take things to the next level of saving money and being more efficient, hot caustic soda can be used as both a cleaner and sterliser. You can also leave it in your keg until your ready to refill it with beer.

Petrol, LPG, diesel, chainsaws, power tools, electricity are all dangerous in the wrong hands. I get much more worried by some of the scary questions asked by people trying to wire up electric elements in brew pots and such, than by a product that comes well labeled with usage and safety instructions on the container.

I use both caustic and Starsan and their both great products, I do believe though that for the length of time Starsan has been on the market they should have fitted the bottle with a ******* lid that doesn't split the top off when it's tightened shut. I have found the Coopers pet bottle lid is a good replacement for this problem.

Ducatiboy stu said:
Petrol, LPG, diesel, chainsaws, power tools, electricity are all fun in the right hands.
I posted this in the funny pics thread the other day :lol:
gallery_5481_1323_61390.jpg

Ducatiboy stu said:
Blasphemer

Once upon a time, in a place far away from AHB, brewers used sanitisers other than Star-San...True story
Ive been an idophor man for years and had zero issues with infection so obviously its time for a change..

Dave70 said:
Ive been an idophor man for years and had zero issues with infection so obviously its time for a change..
Ditto, and have also used Defender, which is a non-foaming phosphoric acid/dispersing agent sanitiser.

I wonder what the they used hundreds of years ago?

Sodium metabisilfate and citric acid is very potent.
I also heard of 28ml of vinegar 28ml of bleach in 20ltrs was a cheap version of no rinse sanitiser.

But don't mix the bleach and vinegar without the water first, it turns in to a knockout gas.

Latest posts

Back