Home made no rinse sanatizer.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mardoo said:
Contact time is another difference. 10 to 30 minutes for the dairy one. Not a huge issue for me.
A dairy is a lot dirtier than relatively clean brewing gear.

Most dairies I have been to are pretty dirty places, hence the longer contact time

Ducatiboy stu said:
$6.60/Lt v $48/Lt for Star-San ( from Craftbrewer )
Brewmasters Bulk Buy in the wings?

grott said:
"$6.60/Lt v $48/Lt for Star-San ( from Craftbrewer )​"

A few things to note I think. 1 litre of starsan make 667 litres and it is re-usable! many many times. You know it works, you can test it easily (eg litmus paper), its tasteless, can be used dry or wet. Also I can buy a small size which lasts for ages without a huge outlay.

For me ll stick with easy as starsan.
Cheers
PTSAN 5 is apparently good at 2ml per litre of water, which on our scale is that close to Starsan's dilution rate that it doesn't matter

grott said:
"$6.60/Lt v $48/Lt for Star-San ( from Craftbrewer )​"

A few things to note I think. 1 litre of starsan make 667 litres and it is re-usable! many many times. You know it works, you can test it easily (eg litmus paper), its tasteless, can be used dry or wet. Also I can buy a small size which lasts for ages without a huge outlay.

For me ll stick with easy as starsan.
Cheers
The dairy stuff also needs to be diluted and is re-usable in some cases

Just because Star-San works doesnt mean others wont

Bit like saying "I only use dried S-04 cause I know it works, dont want to use those other yeast"

"Just because Star-San works doesnt mean others wont

Bit like saying "I only use dried S-04 cause I know it works, dont want to use those other yeast""

I'm not saying that, "a few things to note...."

I also use a product called GEMGUARD" that's used in the meat, brewery and other food processing industries. It is not for use where beer can contact but excellent for external equipment cleaning. (tops for kitchen use as well)
Cheers

Well obviously you use a product that is suitable.....

I am just saying that Star-San is not THE only suitable sanitiser

I have used a dairy sanitizer for over 10 years, I use this:

http://www.daviesway.com.au/all-products/eliminate.aspx?lv.crumb=73678

It's phos. acid.
I used to buy a 20lt container and split it up with several other brewers, the last time (must be 4 years ago, or so) I just kept it myself. I have been using it and never reusing, I can't even tell if any has been used from the 20lt as yet. It'll see my life out. :p
It is used @ 2ml per 1lt. 20lt container is around $200.00 from memory.

Changing sanitizing chemicals regularly is never a bad thing.

And the old saying goes that if it isnt clean then you will never get it sanitized properly

Ethanol diluted to 70% with distilled water you can even drink what you don't use

Ducatiboy stu said:

And the old saying goes that if it isnt clean then you will never get it sanitized properly
Old saying:

Deuteronomy 23:1
He that is wounded in the stones, or hath his privy member cut off, shall not enter into the congregation of the LORD.

Really? really?

Id rather do that piss and coke thing.

Ducatiboy stu said:
Well coke is phos acid and a bit of sugar
Unless he means the coke you cut with a credit card and sniff with a straw? It would look strange going into a toilet with a glass or can of coke to piss in. However I think its normal practice to cut up coke and sniff it off the toilet seat lid, modern movies seem to bear witness to this.

As a home made sanitiser though?
One of the products is very very cheap (depending on what you've been drinking of course) and the other very expensive, and both of them would vary wildly with chemical consistency thus making them worthless to even consider for a moment as a viable option. And I must point out that I haven't even touched on the filthy public hygiene environment you'd be faced with during the manufacturing process! And what if the person contributing the urine was a real root rat? Even daily STD tests couldn't guarantee an acceptable product!

In summation it's just not worth even considering, it's too expensive, has poor product consistency and life threatening manufacturing facilities, also arrest by law enforcement officers is a real, real, real threat throughout the whole process!

Is coke no rinse ?

I am hoping so. Certainly would make beer more interesting

Ducatiboy stu said:

good.jpg

I don't understand why everyone has moved away from iodophor and over to these acid sanitisers.
Great marketing I guess?

Back