Hello Again

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

livo

Reaction score
Hi brewers.
It's been a while since I was an active member here and I've just embarked on my 3rd round of Home Brewing since my first go many years ago. I haven't brewed any beer at all for over 8 years this time and I was pleasantly surprised to find that most of my gear has waited for me. I must have done a reasonable job of cleaning and storing it all. Only failure I've had is 3 PET bottles (not Coopers) have split on me. I did obtain over 100 bottles from another guy just recently so I can't say if the split ones were his or my old ones.

The first problem I had just recently was with 2 batches in the fermenters and the temperatures soared. I measured the temp by sticking a digital thermometer probe to the outside of one and it was 30'C. They sat up there for 3 days in that heat so I'm not sure if they'll drink ok or not. Where I lived 40 years ago had a laundry / workshop underneath which was brick / cement block wall and mostly below ground level. I could brew all year round without worry. Anyway it immediately prompted me to go and get a fridge and order an STC1000. I now have my first brew in the temperature controlled fermentation chamber. I'll post a question about this in an appropriate thread.

I have a lot to remember as I was doing AG 10 years ago. I'm not sure if time will allow this again, at least for a little while anyhow. I had considered kegging last time but then we had to up and move which is why I stopped really. I'm already a bit over washing, sanitizing, priming and bottling. 60 X 375 ml Saxby Ginger Beer bottles takes a bit of time.

Wish me luck.

I'm already through my first couple of batches (a few different Coppers cans) and while I'm not 100 % pleased, I'm glad that it was all pretty drinkable with no flops yet.

Where I lived 40 years ago had a laundry / workshop underneath which was brick / cement block wall and mostly below ground level. I could brew all year round without worry. Anyway it immediately prompted me to go and get a fridge and order an STC1000. I now have my first brew in the temperature controlled fermentation chamber. I'll post a question about this in an appropriate thread.

That's why so many brewers in the northern 2/3 of the US and in Canada love older houses with basements. Where I lived (Iowa) the ambient temperature was remarkably even from day to night, good in winter for fermenting lagers and in summer for fermenting ales, As a bonus in the middle states and provinces it improves your chances of surviving a tornado, while quaffing, of course.

Sounds like you're making good choices.

Surviving tornados sounds like a good reason to go underground to me. If there's beer all ready there, that's what I would call prepping.

Surviving tornados sounds like a good reason to go underground to me. If there's beer all ready there, that's what I would call prepping.
Nice one Livo. 30C is a bit optimistic- depends on the style and the yeast, but a 30C fermentation is something you plan for. Voss would work. Glad you're back to brewing and also that you've got some temperature control. All the best. Let us know how the hot ones turn out.

At this stage, what I can tell you is that the hot brews survived. Even green, they have no "off" flavours.
All I have noticed so far, and I'm not really sure, is that I get a slightly gritty or chalky mouth feel from them. They are 2 weeks in the bottle in 2 days time.

Latest posts

Back