Home made no rinse sanatizer.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tex N Oz said:
I don't understand why everyone has moved away from iodophor and over to these acid sanitisers.
Great marketing I guess?

Just something that happened 10 years ago or so.

Batz said:
That's what I use!! It's hands down better than any acid based sanitiser out there. Here's a test anyone can do at home to see for themselves.

Grab a clean keg, put 1/2 litre of each type, swish around to fully wet all surfaces in and let sit for a few months. The ones with "Starsan or equivalent" will have mould growing anywhere the liquid isn't in contact with the surface.
The Iodophor keg will have NOTHING growing in it. Iodine off-gasses and kills everything in the keg. It never leaves. Phosphoric acid breaks and off-gasses phosphates which are perfect fertilisers for mould.

Sure it kills quick on contact and then feeds whatever is left behind.

Call me a fence sitter..

I use both. Nothing wrong with iodphos.

I always store equipment clean and dry. Ready for sanitation and use.

Brewman_ said:
I try to keep my kegs setting on sanitiser. Caught me out when I had a dozen mouldy kegs... Maybe dry is better but I'm a bit lazy.. :mellow:

Tex N Oz said:
Grab a clean keg,......................and let sit for a few months.
Not a problem at my place, kegs have to be "value added". An empty keg is no good to me. :)
I do take your point though and find the experiment interesting.
Cheers

Tex N Oz said:
That's what I use!! It's hands down better than any acid based sanitiser out there. Here's a test anyone can do at home to see for themselves.

Grab a clean keg, put 1/2 litre of each type, swish around to fully wet all surfaces in and let sit for a few months. The ones with "Starsan or equivalent" will have mould growing anywhere the liquid isn't in contact with the surface.
The Iodophor keg will have NOTHING growing in it. Iodine off-gasses and kills everything in the keg. It never leaves. Phosphoric acid breaks and off-gasses phosphates which are perfect fertilisers for mould.

Sure it kills quick on contact and then feeds whatever is left behind.

grott said:
Not a problem at my place, kegs have to be "value added". An empty keg is no good to me. :)
I have the opposite problem. All empty kegs and nothing "value added".. I think I'm the only one who drinks half the beer out of the fermenter before it's even settled the yeast. :unsure: :wacko:

Tex N Oz said:
I think I'm the only one who drinks half the beer out of the fermenter before it's even settled the yeast. :unsure: :wacko:
No you’re not! I often do that if I’ve run out of beer before the next brew/cask day. What’s worse is I also use a scoop of yeast from the bottom of the fermenter for the next batch after doing it. :ph34r:

Brewman_ said:
Call me a fence sitter..

I use both. Nothing wrong with iodphos.

OT but curious about this. I put about 100ml of Star San in fermenters and cubes before storing them. Give them a good sloshing around before leaving them on the shelf. Is this bad practice?

I'm in good company then!!
Helps lift the guilt of having 25 of my 30 bottles end up lonely and unfulfilled. Knowing full well it would have been an awesome beer if left a few weeks to finish....

S.E said:
What’s worse is I also use a scoop of yeast from the bottom of the fermenter for the next batch after doing it. :ph34r:
Can't count the number of times I've done that.. Heaps easier than a new starter....... even if it's not the right yeast.... guilty again..
But then again, the guys I drink with would think a shot of vodka in a glass of Milo = Fine chocolate stout.

TheWiggman said:
OT but curious about this. I put about 100ml of Star San in fermenters and cubes before storing them. Give them a good sloshing around before leaving them on the shelf. Is this bad practice?
It's been my experience that it's not a good idea. I've had a lot of stuff grow in that environment.

"But then again, the guys I drink with would think a shot of vodka in a glass of Milo = Fine chocolate stout."​ - quote Tex N Oz.

Is Baulkham Hills a very stranger place???

Tex N Oz said:
I'm in good company then!!
Helps lift the guilt of having 25 of my 30 bottles end up lonely and unfulfilled. Knowing full well it would have been an awesome beer if left a few weeks to finish....
[SIZE=10pt]Actually some beers are best consumed young and as soon out of the fermenter as possible. Green King IPA springs to mind as a prime example of this. Though as the name would suggest it is not an IPA at all, but just a low ABV hoppy ale.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]It’s pretty average most of the time but if you get it really fresh it’s a decent drop. I think it won a CAMRA award one year much to the disgust of many, so I presume it was a fresh cask that was being judged.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]I honed my brewing skills helping out in a micro brewery and the head brewer insisted that sampling the brew at all stages is important. So it wasn’t unusual to be sampling a beer straight from the FV while mashing in at 7am. [/SIZE]

grott said:
"But then again, the guys I drink with would think a shot of vodka in a glass of Milo = Fine chocolate stout."​ - quote Tex N Oz.

Is Baulkham Hills a very stranger place???
Nooooooo.. Baulkham Hills is fine and absolutely chockablock full of pompous pricks if you look close.... but my closest mates are by most standard definition, bogans, dags and/or drongos..

With that said, they are:
1. Loyal to a fault
2. 24/7/365 friends come good times or bad
3. Never pretentious or audacious
4. Drink whatever beer you've got in the keg, even if it's total shit, and compliment you on your efforts.
5. Hand you a cold beer any time you walk through their doors and are happy to see you.

Good enough for me.. but probably not a reflection of "The Baulkos"

Batz said:
I have used a dairy sanitizer for over 10 years, I use this:

http://www.daviesway.com.au/all-products/eliminate.aspx?lv.crumb=73678

It's phos. acid.
I used to buy a 20lt container and split it up with several other brewers, the last time (must be 4 years ago, or so) I just kept it myself. I have been using it and never reusing, I can't even tell if any has been used from the 20lt as yet. It'll see my life out. :p
It is used @ 2ml per 1lt. 20lt container is around $200.00 from memory.
Do you use that no-rinse?

TheWiggman said:
Hi TheWiggman,

I don't think it's bad practice to do that and drain and dry.

I would not do that If I were to store them. A couple of reasons.

1. The sanitiser will only have a contact with a very small surface once settles and the bubbles have dried off, so I don't think it is effective while the sanitiser itself is an effective sanitiser.
2. How long is the storage and how long is diluted sanitiser, actually an effective sanitiser? They do degrade. On this first point I have a couple of kegs that have not been used since 2012. I didn't know they would be out of use that long when I stored them.. Things don't always go to plan.

Latest posts

Back