GUTEN

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Received my guten 70lt in the mail yesterday and will be doing my first all grain brew on Saturday. I have turned a keg into a hlt so I can sparge but had a Couple of questions.

Do you guys use the inbuilt pump to transfer to the fermenter after chilling ? Its a big unit and I don't have a pump for the sparge water so thought it would be pretty hard to have the guten tap higher than the fermenter as well as the keg being higher than the malt pipe once it's raised to drain the grain.

Does anyone know approximately how much boil off there will be during the boil. I'm planning on doing a 40lt batch to start with. Not sure if the volume will affect the amount of boil off.

Is there anything I should look out for with the guten? Will have a mate who's an experienced ag brewer helping me but he's never used a single vessel before.

Thanks for any info and advice.

I use the tap to transfer to my snub nose. I'm using a 40 litre so it's no problem to have it sitting a bit higher on a rack so the tap is just above the top of my fermenter. If I'm cubing I'll just set the kettle on a milk crate as it's a good height for running wort out of the tap to the cube.

Boil off can vary especially if you're boiling at higher or lower power than someone else. I would recommend you allow for 5-10% boil off and just make a note of what you actually get from this first brew to apply to the next one.

Received my guten 70lt in the mail yesterday and will be doing my first all grain brew on Saturday. I have turned a keg into a hlt so I can sparge but had a Couple of questions.

Do you guys use the inbuilt pump to transfer to the fermenter after chilling ? Its a big unit and I don't have a pump for the sparge water so thought it would be pretty hard to have the guten tap higher than the fermenter as well as the keg being higher than the malt pipe once it's raised to drain the grain.

Does anyone know approximately how much boil off there will be during the boil. I'm planning on doing a 40lt batch to start with. Not sure if the volume will affect the amount of boil off.

Is there anything I should look out for with the guten? Will have a mate who's an experienced ag brewer helping me but he's never used a single vessel before.

Thanks for any info and advice.
The biggest problem in using the pump is pumping all the trub into the fermenter, unless you have a means of dumping it from the fermenter. Better to get a hoist above the Guten and put it on a stand, then empty from the tap.
The boil off for mine (40 & 50 litre) is the same as they have the same diameter, 5 litres / hour, yours is a larger diameter and I would say its the same as my 60 litre Brau Wolf so that is 6 litres / hour. Best to put about 18 to 20 litres in the kettle and boil for 1 hour to make sure. Volume doesn't make any difference only time.

Yes, also the pump is massive. I used the pump on the 50L from boiling with a counter flow chiller many times.

If you use brewfather take the 65L robobrew profile, it's 6.5l/hr. i think it would be very similar. If you also change the water to grain ratio to 2.7 like a grainfather you get the 60l volumes with ~29L sparge.

Also the robobrew 65l whirlpool arm is very large and comes out way down the bottom of the guten 70 which is good.

And about 2-3mm off a 65l false bottom to fit the 70L.

If you pump that trub in a whirlpool long enough it'll all pile up in the middle of the false bottom.

Thanks for the Advice guys. I'll do a test run today in preparation for brewing tomorrow.

Will look into that whirlpool arm and false bottom screen. Sounds worthwhile.

Any suggestions on a sealant to use on the temperature gauge? I've tried everything to get it to seal but it still leaks slightly. Was thinking about a bit of silicone around the washer on the outside of the keg.

Has anyone used the brewzilla whirlpool arm in a 40 litre Guten? Just wondering if it is too tall.

Hey guys.

So I fired up my new guten 70lt up on Saturday to do my first brew. All was going great until I cranked it up to boil. Got to a bit over 80c and then something went wrong and the controller died. Luckily the pump still worked and I was able to pump some off the wort into my sparge vessel and finish off the boil. Sent the kegking CEO a pm on here explaining what happened and he replied very quickly and asked me to call the shop first thing Monday morning. Spoke with Kyle at the shop who was very helpful and he gave the CEO my number. Will called me back not long after apologizing for the inconvenience and explained that this is very rare but can happen. He has since sent me a new guten with a postage stamp so I can return the broken one. The new guten they unpacked and tested since I live so far away. I would like to thank kegking and Will the CEO for such amazing customer service. really appreciate the after sales care. look forward to purchasing from you guys again.

And look forward to brewing next weekend on the guten.

Has anyone used the brewzilla whirlpool arm in a 40 litre Guten? Just wondering if it is too tall.

Stubby cooler for scale, can get a finger in between them still, hard to see from looking down.

Z1cWz2C.jpg

The 70L has a few cosmetic changes, and a few handy features like a sight glass and the stepped malt pipe.
The malt pipe change was helpful over the weekend. I had 9.5kg of grain and the unit was on a milk crate so the pipe had to go quite high.

I believe that those adjustable malt pipes are now available in store, not sure on the sight glass, wondering if they could be a source of infection, sweet wort sitting in there and not getting boiled.

I have been waiting on the adjustable malt pipe piece and grooved lifting handle. Are they selling the handles in shop too? What about the metal lids? I know I am going to break my glass lid at some point, don't much care about the distillation part I just want a lid that isn't going to shatter.

I have been waiting on the adjustable malt pipe piece and grooved lifting handle. Are they selling the handles in shop too? What about the metal lids? I know I am going to break my glass lid at some point, don't much care about the distillation part I just want a lid that isn't going to shatter.
For the handles I use all thread, 4 nuts 2 locked either side leaving a gap for the snap lock fitting, feel really confident using the hoist with that. Go in one of the Chinese cooking utensils shop, they have all manner of different size lids, cheap too.
002.JPG

not sure on the sight glass, wondering if they could be a source of infection, sweet wort sitting in there and not getting boiled.
Mine didn't really become 'wort' in the sight glass, it was clear water throughout the whole process with a few chunks at the bottom.
This is a witbier so not the darkest example which makes it harder to see.

guten70sightglass.jpg

Latest posts

Back