GUTEN

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I might have to get a helix, the standard tap filter (bazooka?) got clogged towards the end of filling the second cube.

I might have to get a helix, the standard tap filter (bazooka?) got clogged towards the end of filling the second cube.
If you are cooling the wort you will need 4 joined together to get a good flow, and a clear wort.
004.JPG

Hi guys, received my new guten this week and brewing a pacific ale today. Had a few questions again after my last brew.
I have read a bit on here about what wattage people are using but was wondering if you guys use the full 3000watts to bring the wort up-to the boil and then turn it down or do you just set it at your desired wattage and leave it there to bring it up-to the boil And hold the boil.

Also I checked last night that there is approximately 9litres of water under the malt pipe. When working out you 3l water to 1kg of grain ratio for mash in do you include the water under the malt pipe or add it to The total amount. First brew I did I just went for 3 to 1 and it seemed very thick in the malt pipe.
Thanks for any advice guys.

Before i installed the smart pid, i used to run at full power to get to the boil then lower the power to keep it at a good boil depending on the day. If it was hot it wouldn't need as much power as when it was cold. Then the cover i made lowered the power a bit more.

Hi guys, received my new guten this week and brewing a pacific ale today. Had a few questions again after my last brew.
I have read a bit on here about what wattage people are using but was wondering if you guys use the full 3000watts to bring the wort up-to the boil and then turn it down or do you just set it at your desired wattage and leave it there to bring it up-to the boil And hold the boil.

Also I checked last night that there is approximately 9litres of water under the malt pipe. When working out you 3l water to 1kg of grain ratio for mash in do you include the water under the malt pipe or add it to The total amount. First brew I did I just went for 3 to 1 and it seemed very thick in the malt pipe.
Thanks for any advice guys.

The 9 litres is your mash tun dead space so you need to add it your total water calculated with your water/grist ratio.

If you're using a brewing software enter the dead space amount into your equipment profile and it should add for you.

Thanks guys. I am using beer Smith so will add the dead space in and see how it goes. What I saved of my first brew a couple of weeks is tasting pretty good so looking forward to brewing again.

Brew day went really well. Guten performed flawlessly. I overshot the sparge by a couple of litres but ended up with 80 percent efficiency and lost that couple of liters to the trub and dead space so worked out really well. The only down side is waiting two weeks until the fermenting fridge is free so I can brew again.

I know I didn't believe it either. Got 65% first brew a couple if weeks ago but that's when the guten broke down and had to transfer the beer to another vessel to boil and lost alot of it. Also I lifted the basket out of the wort to do the sparge so the sparge happened very quick. This time I had more water in for the mash and sparged very slowly over about 40minutes. Just Holding and lifting the basket a little at a time. I got the 80% from brew smith after adjusting the recipe to what I had done. very happy with it.

I get 80%, it's the default efficiency in the graindfather tools too, whats not to believe?

Mine didn't hold a good boil at 2500w, I bumped it up to 2800w and it was ok. I think I'll be doing 3000w on future double batches.

I get 80%, it's the default efficiency in the graindfather tools too, whats not to believe?
First go, or second, on new equipment is hard to believe until there are a few brews under the belt, could be lucky.
Mine didn't hold a good boil at 2500w, I bumped it up to 2800w and it was ok. I think I'll be doing 3000w on future double batches.
Did you calibrate the temperature? Other than that you need a hood.

Did you calibrate the temperature?
I asked KK about this and they shrugged it off saying no need to do anything. They also don't have a manual for the product at all which I thought was strange.
Even a jacket would help a lot with the boil, on my Robo Gen 2 it was great. But the sight glass is so close to the vessel on the 70L that they may struggle to get one to fit well.

I asked KK about this and they shrugged it off saying no need to do anything. They also don't have a manual for the product at all which I thought was strange.
Even a jacket would help a lot with the boil, on my Robo Gen 2 it was great. But the sight glass is so close to the vessel on the 70L that they may struggle to get one to fit well.
There can be a discrepancy on the temperature control this is the only online manual I know of, not sure but I think some one has posted it before.
http://www.angelhomebrew.co.uk/upload/brew-devil-manual.pdf
Maybe the jackets will be available later.

I should probably thank you WEAL and the rest of the guten users Here for being able to get 80% I have read every guten post on here more than once while waiting to get my guten. Learnt a lot and put it to use. Thank you all.

Fro-daddy - I made a quick jacket out of some roofing insulation for mine. Only had the wattage ata2500 and was taking for ever to boil. Put jacket on and cranked to 3000watts and was boiling in no time. I just cut a hole in the insulation where the sight glass is so I could see the the area I needed to see. Took it off before cooling to help it release the heat quicker And so I could see the sight glass when filling my ferments. It's not perfect but Anything will help with so. Much surface are to lose heat.
Can't upload photos unfortunately. File to big but it only covers up-to the 55lt mark but seemed to help. I know when I put it around my keg I turned into a hlt it got to sparge temp about 15minutes quicker So must do something.

Latest posts

Back