GUTEN

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did my second batch in the 70L today.

I added a 1m helix for this batch, seems to fit alright.
View attachment 117491

Not much colour makes it in to the sight glass while the pump is running.
View attachment 117493

As soon as the pump is stopped this is all that ends up in there @wide eyed and legless
View attachment 117494

Helix did a good job.
It flowed great for most of the first cube, but was quite slow near the end of the second one.
View attachment 117495

My telescopic overflow pipe broke after removing the grain. It was super flimsy and the tiny spot welds weren't enough to hold its own weight. I'll call KK tomorrow but I might have to get a bolt and block it up.

I've been following this thread for a little while now because I'm tossing up between Guten 70L and Brewzilla 65L. Good to see the helix did the job for you. How liters of wort/trub was lost on dead space after filling your cubes?

I borrowed my mate's brewzilla 65L on the weekend and the overflow pipe is screwed into the bottom screen of the malt pipe. Seems a bit more solid than the welds.

Also, really curious about the Guten immersion chiller. Has anyone here used the immersion chiller that comes with the 70L Guten? Does it reach all the way to the bottom and would you be able to chill a single batch? The problem with the brewzilla 65 chiller is that it doesn't reach to the bottom and as a result you can't efficiently chill a single batch with it. The in and outlet also don't hang over the edge of the kettle so all together it's a stuff around trying to use the immersion chiller that comes with the brewzilla.

007.JPG
003.JPG

Bit of silicone tube inside the stem (original version) the bazooka over the top just have the top of the silicone tube peeking over the top of the wort, just in case. If you know where your level is each time it is easily adjusted, full volume mash is always the same level or there about's grain bill dependent.

How liters of wort/trub was lost on dead space after filling your cubes?
What you see in my previous pic is how much I left. Probably a litre or so after tilting it to make sure I filled the cube.
That was for a Dark Mild so not a lot of hop matter to filter out.

I borrowed my mate's brewzilla 65L on the weekend and the overflow pipe is screwed into the bottom screen of the malt pipe. Seems a bit more solid than the welds.
This pipe has a thread welded on the bottom with a nut on the other side of the screen.
I think the 65L zilla is the same as my old Robo Gen 2 where the thread is machined in to the pipe? Definitely a stronger solution.

80% is insane! All I've ever got is a stuck sparge or 68%...

Also, really curious about the Guten immersion chiller. Has anyone here used the immersion chiller that comes with the 70L Guten? Does it reach all the way to the bottom and would you be able to chill a single batch?

Checked mine it's about an inch off the bottom, might get closer with some water in it.. It's quite large I don't see why it wouldn't do the job.

Due to postage issues I haven't received my replacement extendable overflow pipe and have been waiting to brew. So necessity being the mother of invention I started thinking of ways to make another overflow pipe. Had pulled apart of 50lt commercial keg recently and found that the spear from that with a couple of taps with a hammer fits perfectly over the collar of the broken extendable overflow pipe. It's not extendable but fills the hole in the bottom screen and doesn't brake when stirring the grain. works for now.
PART_1582069460213.jpg

Hey guys. My pump got blocked after last brew. I tried percarb and hot water. Running the hose through it and It still wouldn't pump water. Pulled it apart today and found a Couple of little pieces of Crap where the magnet is which must have jammed it. After putting it back together the pump works fine but I now have a vibration coming from the pump. If I lift the guten it stops but when sitting on the ground it vibrates. Has anyone had this before? Any idea what might be wrong. All screws seem to be tight. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Hey guys. My pump got blocked after last brew. I tried percarb and hot water. Running the hose through it and It still wouldn't pump water. Pulled it apart today and found a Couple of little pieces of Crap where the magnet is which must have jammed it. After putting it back together the pump works fine but I now have a vibration coming from the pump. If I lift the guten it stops but when sitting on the ground it vibrates. Has anyone had this before? Any idea what might be wrong. All screws seem to be tight. Thanks in advance for any advice.
Never heard of that, seems quite odd.

Had another look inside and it was a loose screw on the pump. Only thing is I didn't touch that screw. Looks like the little nut on the bracket which the pump screws to was broken during construction and came loose when I moved the pump yesterday. Seems to be holding good for now. No vibration. Might have to get some other nuts to put on the screw so it doesn't happen again. Thanks for the help guys. Brew #5 this Saturday. Loving doing all grain and the guten is performing really well makes AG brewing relatively easy for a beginner.

I don't think I have ever stirred the mash in a Guten, I did a side by side with the Brau Meister a few years ago and the results were the same. Now in effect the BM stirs itself every 10 minutes of the mash with the pump rests, not sure if I stirred the Guten then but may have done. So today I did another ESB have been getting 1,040-1,042 pre boil, stirred the mash 4 or 5 times today didn't think it would make any difference with a full volume mash it is very fluid. Pre boil today is 1,048. Still using the same grain bill just different hops.
Do others stir the mash in the Guten?

I stir every 10 to 15 minutes depending on what I'm up-to while brewing. I sparge as well but beersmith said I got 83% efficiency last brew. Have generally been getting around the 80% mark. Not sure where I read it but when I first got the guten someone had said that stirring regularly will increase your efficiency.

I have been stirring twice for the last few brews, has helped get mash efficiency up to 80% regularly. Even got 82% with 10kg in the 50l. A lot better then the last big brew I did with no stirring.

Cheers guys, looks like my efficiency has gone up as well, not saying it's gospel until I have done a few more brews. Just hard to get my head around it with it being such a fluid mash. Looking at the mash just looks like the grain is floating around, although thinking about it now that is probably just the husks.
003.JPG

I stir once mid mash (if I remember) but try to let everything settle at least 10 minutes before I lift the pipe.
I haven't noticed much of a difference.
A good idea to stop stirring at the end, I do mash out so stopping the stirring during mash out would get any bits and pieces back into the grain basket.

A simple Iodine test before and after you stir might tell you if its worthwhile.

Back