Funky Beer Swap

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Absolutely. That's why I asked for fermentation/ageing regimes as well. Getting myself set up to try my first ever soured brew which is why I'm interested.

New small fermenters, Glass carboy for ageing, oak chips and roselare yeast all making their way to manticle manor as I type.

Excellent. Good to see another wild brewer on board the bus to funky town. :lol:

ok, cool, I'm sending jonw's back with the bulk lot to kabooby, then he can get his NSW beers from you guys, and give you the ones for you 3(NM, Stuster, kabooby). Otherwise we are short a few bottles. If you guys aren't swapping with jonw locally then I'll do some rejigging to share the loss.

Quintrex,

Yep, that's cool. Please just send non-NSW beers back for me, as I have the rest to swap locally.

The extra lager I put in for you seems to be reasonably well carbed, so you might want to stick it in the fridge and bear it in ind next time you're getting the lawnmower out.

Cheers,

Jon

I'm back! :)

Good to hear my bottles arrived safely. Quintrex - I stupidly forgot to write down the dimensions of the box, and I left my only other box of that type in London. Any chance you can PM me the dimensions / weight, along with some paypal or banking details and I'll transfer you the postage cost based on Auspost calculator + contingency ?

Can't wait to taste these creations!

Cheers

That's my plan. I'll start the process tonight and should have an answer within a day or so...
You couldn't give me the dimensions too could you? Even just approx?

How are the NSW ones going back? Is that courier or post?
I posted a while back about the possibility of mine going in that job if it was a courier, albiet with a different address, but not sure where that go to...

Sorry mate, I did forget about this.

It is more expensive to get things sent back then to send. I would think it would be the same price for us to send back to Sydney. $33 per 25kg. For us they just pick up from Q and I give the courier the required coupons when it arrives.

If that price is ok let me know and I will check if I can send from VIC to QLD. Because you are alot less than 25kg it might be cheaper to go auspost.

Kabooby :)

It is more expensive to get things sent back then to send. I would think it would be the same price for us to send back to Sydney. $33 per 25kg. For us they just pick up from Q and I give the courier the required coupons when it arrives.

If that price is ok let me know and I will check if I can send from VIC to QLD. Because you are alot less than 25kg it might be cheaper to go auspost.

CHeers. I thought that might be the case. I'll continue with the courier I've been looking into or auspost...

Ben

Quintrex,

Yep, that's cool. Please just send non-NSW beers back for me, as I have the rest to swap locally.

The extra lager I put in for you seems to be reasonably well carbed, so you might want to stick it in the fridge and bear it in ind next time you're getting the lawnmower out.

Cheers,

Jon

Sweet action, I actually had the NS lager last night with indian. Very attractive beer, pleasantly thirst quenching with firm bitterness, not that much hop flavour but a lovely beer. Perfect with the goat curry and aloo palak.

I'm back! :)

Good to hear my bottles arrived safely. Quintrex - I stupidly forgot to write down the dimensions of the box, and I left my only other box of that type in London. Any chance you can PM me the dimensions / weight, along with some paypal or banking details and I'll transfer you the postage cost based on Auspost calculator + contingency ?

Can't wait to taste these creations!

Cheers

Ok kook,
the weight is 13.2 kg dimensions 51x44x28

I'm happy to liaise with a courier company if that works out cheaper for you.

Ok I've packed up all the NSW combined stuff
box 1
18.1kg dimensions 40x30x32
box 2
14.3kg 50x35x18

I'm working from home most of this week so I can deal with couriers etc if need be.

Cheers
Q

Legend

I will ring the courier in the morning so pick up will be tomorrow morning or afternoon. Providing we have no more broken bottles we should have back here Thursday.

I'm working from home most of this week so I can deal with couriers etc if need be.

Cheers
Q

Q,
I've put your name down as the sender contact for my courier delivery. The company is Exalt and hopefully they should be in contact soon. They may contact you first or me, we'll see.
I selected notify before pickup as an option...

Q,
I've put your name down as the sender contact for my courier delivery. The company is Exalt and hopefully they should be in contact soon. They may contact you first or me, we'll see.
I selected notify before pickup as an option...

Ok both kabooby's parcels and bconnery's parcels have been sent today, unfortunately I ducked down the road when kook's courier came past, however they'll be back to pick it up either this afternoon or tomorrow morning.
Thanks for organizing couriers at your end guys, it's made this swap so easy.

Almost tasting note time :)

Cheers,

Q

Sweet, Kook's beers went this afternoon.

All beers should now be winging their respective ways to you all, fingers crossed that no bottles get broken on the way home.

Thanks everyone for making this swap go really smoothly, good work guys. :beerbang:

Cheers
Q

Beers have arrived :party:

So when do we want to swap them?

A new thread for tasting and recipes? If so I can repost but here's my first cab off the rank...

Neonmate SuperSaison
Pale gold. Lacking slightly in carbonation. Fruity aroma with a hint of bubblegum and some funky lambic notes in the background.
I may have drunk this a little early but it's a nice combination of a quality saison with some good funky aspect in the background and the finish.
I liked the combination of flavours with this one.

PMLou 100% BrettC
I know it said let carb but it looked like it had bubbles...It definitely needs to be let carbed but it's drinkable.
Deep amber in colour. Has some carbonation but it faded really quickly. Definite brett aspect on the nose with a hint of fruit as well.
Hint of pineapple juice in the beer with a good sour fruit finish.
Lack of carbonation lends a fullness to the mouthfeel with a slick aspect.
I'm glad I have another one of these but it's quite nice now.

Good work ben!

Let the tastings begin :) I'm quite excited after reading that, going to crack a couple tomorrow.
Tasted a bottle of mine tonight, it's quite nice now, with well balanced sourness. give it some more time if you like cantillon style beers.

Cheers
Q

Good work ben!

Let the tastings begin :) I'm quite excited after reading that, going to crack a couple tomorrow.
Tasted a bottle of mine tonight, it's quite nice now, with well balanced sourness. give it some more time if you like cantillon style beers.

Cheers
Q

My issue will be holding back :)

I do like cantillon style beers so I will try to hold off on yours but we'll see...

Sharing Thirsty's Rasberry Imperial Stout now. Review will follow but overall impression is....
B....y fantastic.
Then again, I'd expect nothing less from a professional ;)

OK - I was going to go to bed, but I couldn't wait anymore.

Neonmate - Lambicised Supersaison

On the Eyes - Beautiful pale gold colour, low fast fading head, mildly hazy. Underfizzy for a saison... but lambics are uncarbonated... so its a balance of the two.

On the Nose - Lemons, Strawberries and a hint of peach/nectarine with a good but not overpowering whiff of brett, not sweaty rank brett - a nice leathery/woody touch. As it warmed up and the subtle aromas wandered off, it boiled down to the nice brett and a kind of persistent fragrant pineapple smell.

In the gob - maltier and with more body than you'd expect from the nose. Definite pilsner malt character. Good level of sour, its well and truly there, but doesn't make your face pucker like some of the Cantillions I have had. Its a little over bitter and thats making it a touch harsh because its not meshing with the sourness as well as it might. Its kinda not hop bitterness, more like a peel or an alkaline bitterness?? Anyway - thats being a bit too damn picky.

I have one main irreversible issue with this beer though - one that I don't think I am going to be able to get past :angry: My glass is nearly empty and I only had the one stubbie, so its almost gone. I really wish it wasn't.

Great start to the swap for me. Thanks Neonmate.

TB

oh cool - the last reluctantly tipped up half a mouthfull smelled and tasted of roses & walnuts.. awesome !!!

Latest posts

Back