Funky Beer Swap

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I tried one of mine the other day and it's definitely carbed up. It's best put in the fridge now and drunk soon.

Cheers,

Jon

I feel my reviews are a bit poor after that effort from TB... Still, here's a few more...

Thirsty Boy Sour Rasberry Sout
Pours Black. Really black. A light tan head. Sweet rasberry aroma overlaying a little acrid roast. A complex blend of dark malt, chocolate and sweet rasberry in the mouth. Dangerously drinkable. Shows none of its alcohol in the taste. A rich full creamy mouthfeel. Sour note comes through right at the end just to add something else.

This is a top notch beer. I am normally a purist when it comes to fruit beers. This is one of the few I've tasted made with a syrup that I actually enjoyed. Having said that, it would be very interesting to taste one made with fresh fruit :)

I think the quote from my wife sums it up. "Ooh, it has the recipe printed on it. Excellent. So we can make it"

Jon W Flanders Brown.
Let me say up front that I'd had a bit to drink by this stage so my review may not provide a lot of feedback.
Light copper in colour. Strong moussy head. Slight esters. Slight sourness and acidic note that increased with warmth. It seems a little light in colour based on what I've read and the one or two I've had although I understand it's a varied style.
The sourness was light but the acidic note increased as the beer warmed up. Overall a nicely balanced beer without jumping out at me.
Then again, as I said, I wasn't at my freshest palate wise at this stage.
Certainly very enjoyable.

This swap is fantastic...

I appear to be the only one posting :)
I know I should wait but there isn't really much chance of that until I hit the to be cellared ones...

Voota Pomegranite Lambic
I assume that's what it was as it had a PL on the lid...
Golden colour. The head faded very fast but carbonation was ok. Light fruit brett aroma with a sour note. Thinnish body, but not too light, with a good sour finish that seemed to be more from fruit than Brett. I liked the way the fruit character interracted with the base beer. It dominated to my taste but not in a good way. I poured one glass and when I went to pour the second I had to use a strainer as there where seeds in it :)
The sourness was even more pronounced in the second glass.

Very tasty

I appear to be the only one posting :)
I know I should wait but there isn't really much chance of that until I hit the to be cellared ones...

Voota Pomegranite Lambic
I assume that's what it was as it had a PL on the lid...
Golden colour. The head faded very fast but carbonation was ok. Light fruit brett aroma with a sour note. Thinnish body, but not too light, with a good sour finish that seemed to be more from fruit than Brett. I liked the way the fruit character interracted with the base beer. It dominated to my taste but not in a good way. I poured one glass and when I went to pour the second I had to use a strainer as there where seeds in it :)
The sourness was even more pronounced in the second glass.

Very tasty

I'll get into them soon, hoping to have a special prechristmas dinner this wednesday, where a few will get opened.

Bconnery, any advice on how long to age yours? should I prime them with anything if I want carb? Or should I just let them age(will they carbonate?). Are they drinking well now?

Cheers
Q

I'll get into them soon, hoping to have a special prechristmas dinner this wednesday, where a few will get opened.

Bconnery, any advice on how long to age yours? should I prime them with anything if I want carb? Or should I just let them age(will they carbonate?). Are they drinking well now?

Cheers
Q

They still lack carbonation. I'd imagine that they won't necessarily carb up super fast but if they don't carb up soon then I guess a reprime might work? Or else a squirt with a carbonator cap or something if you can get access to one.
It has been a good few weeks now since I bottled so it's possible I may have stuffed up the bottling priming wise...
They are drinking well now. This is my first one though so I dont' really know if they'll age well or where they'll be.
Definitely lambic like a the moment though so...

Reading these reviews is making me want to start. Had to move house on the weekend. Better get all the beers sorted before I have the other NSW guys beating my door down.

Kabooby :lol:

just bottling a lambic as we speak which is rather clean but still pretty good, damn i've become such a sour addict after this swap pretty much poured brett and bugs into all my carboys which were aging beers :lol:

tasted thirstys imperial stout a couple of nights ago and was very impressed especially due to its high alcohol could hardly taste it...

This is one of my first times desribing beers so may not be the best but i'll try

Dark/black with a fading thin off-white head and aromas of dark roasted malts, hints of vinous port-like notes and a subtle berry. Has a very upfront chocolaty roasted flavour with an aftertaste of sweet berrys, the flavours defidently compliment each other and would be a great beer to sit round a fire with friends in winter... Was an extremly rich and enjoyable beer let a mate and family try it and they all enjoyed it aswell... good work thirsty

Had a delicious dinner of turkey roast last night and a whole bunch of sour beers.
Only had one swap beer though, to be honest I'd had a bit to drink before this, so don't expect fantastic notes

Kook : Flanders Red

Fizzy, brown-red colour

Well balanced acidity, beautiful vanilla note(from Oak?) that worked really well in it, very present, but not in a bad way.
Really drinkable, good work.

Q

P.S. had your sour orange beer, bconnery, pretty cool. I didn't expect the fruit to be quite so present, kinda like tangy orange sherbet :) thanks a lot

No oak - just bugs, it was a blend of 18 month and 24 month old FRA's at time of bottling.

BTW - my beer arrived safely, thanks Quintrex!

I'm brewing the base beer for a Berlinerweiss as I type... Its coming in a little over gravity, so I will probably water it back and get me a number of extra litres to bottle..... if the funky beer swap goes into mark II mode, this might be my contribution already on the go !!

Base Beer - 2kg wheat malt, straight. 14L stovetop BIAB batch aiming for 1.030-1.031 (looks like its gonna turn out 1.036-1.040ish)

Blend Beers

2l of DME wort fermented entirely with Orval dregs ... mmm can anyone say horse blanket & pellicle
3L of AG barley wort (from my NO Crush expt) fermented with Wyeast 2470 (pretty much a yeast starter but fermented "simple")
3L of the same AG wort fermented with the juice from the top of a tub of Marrook Farm Biodynamic Yoghurt .. we have the following cultures present
L. acidophilous, Biffidus spp, S. thermophilus, L. Bulgaricus (the best yoghurt I have ever tasted!!)

I will ferment all out separately, then blend them to taste and put the result onto 1-2kg of dried apricots (low sulphur) and let it all play for six or so months.

It'll be interesting thats for sure.

I will be trying a swap beer or two tonight.. either the Fig Lambic or perhaps the Pomegranate one - I shall let my beloved make the choice.

TB

who's is the bottle marked 7_ has a green cap? sorry if its been covered just wondering

Tried Q's Flanders Red the other night with a mate
smelt quite baryard like with hints of acidity, tasted similar to the smell with a mild acidity and slightly fruity vinegar-like notes which quickly dissapate. Not quite as intense as I'd expected especially comparing to Rodenbach I've tried but none-the less a nice beer that you could drink without your face puckering :icon_cheers: .

I tried Neonmates supersaison immediately after without rinsing our glasses, which proved to be a poor choice as the flavour must have carried over as it tasted exactly the same as Q's Flanders Red <_< so im not really sure what the saison tasted like in the end...

Also Tasted Stuster Flanders Red which was similar but more intense and aggressive than Q's, with a more pronounced acidity which then faded to a quite bitter aftertaste which lingered on the tongue, (which was possibly a little over bitter for a flanders red). It'd be interesting to compare the recipe and fermenatation regime/temperature to see what made it possibly more assertive... Interestingly both Flanders Reds had a nice fluffy head which faded quickly while carbonation lingured for only a few minutes dispite the large "pist" sound at opening the bottles (wonder if bugged beers carbonation fades faster than normal beer as I've noticed with some of my bug beers they carb up fine but seems to dissipate within minutes...) While Neither were quite as intense as a Rodenbach which in my opinion is possibly a little too intense, i still really enjoyed these beers and am inspired to brew one myself...
Ps. i was just wondering whether these were brewed in Winter or Summer?

Voota - Pomegranate Lambic

Hazy Golden, v'low head faded almost instantly despite pouring from a height, but as BC said already, the carbonation is OK, perhaps a little light.

Very funky and fruity on the nose, distinctly Cantillon like. I am finding it hard to distinguish between the fruit itself and the acid/fruitiness of the fermentation. It does smell very fruity, but doesn't scream pomegranate at me. Phenolics are quite low, I get a little pepper and some aniseed, and some wood or leather thats probably a Brett thing.

Flavour reflects the smell. Very fruity with the actual fruit and the funk/sour of the beer blending seamlessly. At the "intense" end of funkiness for my palate. Dry, quite bitter but nicely integrated, strongly acid, but not too harsh and puckering. The beer becomes a bit smoother and the elements blend together a bit better as the beer warms up, but its also becoming perhaps a tiny bit soapy.

Weirdly - I poured two glasses, swmbo got the first which poured clearer, I didn't exactly get sludge in mine, but it was cloudier. Swmbo's glass is quite different! Hers is quite a bit clearer and more tawny gold, its distinctly less "funky" with much less of the woody/farmyard type Brett character, less spice and has a quite distinct aroma of apples that mine doesn't have at all.

Good lambic - probably a bit "much" for me, but only because I like a mild rather than intense dose of funk... swmbo's glass was a more enjoyable, but slightly less complex drop.

Thanks Voota

TB

Interesting, pmolou. I haven't picked my beer as bitter. Will have to look for that when I try another bottle. Like you though, I'm very interested in the comparison and would be good to see where the difference to Q's beer might have come from. I'll post my recipe here now.

Brewed on 27th September last year, to secondary and the bugs on 9th October, then bottled on 28th July this year. Primary was at 18C or so, but in secondary it was on its own. The bugs were second generation from my first batch of Flanders and I think this was more intense than the first batch in terms of funk. The first batch was brewed almost exactly a year earlier so I doubt it was temp related. I'm putting it down to the bugs being used to my place. :)

I'd have thought after nearly 15 months that the 23IBUs would have settled down, but I guess it's on the higher side for this beer.

Batch Size: 22.00 L
Boil Size: 27.95 L
Estimated OG: 1.050 SG
Estimated Color: 30.1 EBC
Estimated IBU: 23.1 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 67.00 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
2.25 kg Munich I (Weyermann) (14.0 EBC) Grain 42.86 %
2.25 kg Pilsner (Weyermann) (3.3 EBC) Grain 42.86 %
0.30 kg Caramunich II (Weyermann) (124.1 EBC) Grain 5.71 %
0.20 kg Caraaroma (Weyermann) (350.7 EBC) Grain 3.81 %
0.20 kg Carahell (Weyermann) (25.6 EBC) Grain 3.81 %
0.05 kg Melanoidin (Weyermann) (59.1 EBC) Grain 0.95 %
30.00 gm Northern Brewer [6.70 %] (60 min) Hops 23.1 IBU
1 Pkgs Roselare Belgian Blend (Wyeast Labs #3763)Yeast-Ale
1 Pkgs California Lager (Wyeast Labs #2112) Yeast-Lager

Mash Schedule: Stu's Mash up
Total Grain Weight: 5.25 kg
----------------------------
Stu's Mash up
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
60 min Step Add 15.75 L of water at 79.7 C 68.0 C
5 min Mash out Add 8.08 L of water at 82.2 C 72.0 C

who's is the bottle marked 7_ has a green cap? sorry if its been covered just wondering

Tried Q's Flanders Red the other night with a mate
smelt quite baryard like with hints of acidity, tasted similar to the smell with a mild acidity and slightly fruity vinegar-like notes which quickly dissapate. Not quite as intense as I'd expected especially comparing to Rodenbach I've tried but none-the less a nice beer that you could drink without your face puckering :icon_cheers: .

I tried Neonmates supersaison immediately after without rinsing our glasses, which proved to be a poor choice as the flavour must have carried over as it tasted exactly the same as Q's Flanders Red <_< so im not really sure what the saison tasted like in the end...

Also Tasted Stuster Flanders Red which was similar but more intense and aggressive than Q's, with a more pronounced acidity which then faded to a quite bitter aftertaste which lingered on the tongue, (which was possibly a little over bitter for a flanders red). It'd be interesting to compare the recipe and fermenatation regime/temperature to see what made it possibly more assertive... Interestingly both Flanders Reds had a nice fluffy head which faded quickly while carbonation lingured for only a few minutes dispite the large "pist" sound at opening the bottles (wonder if bugged beers carbonation fades faster than normal beer as I've noticed with some of my bug beers they carb up fine but seems to dissipate within minutes...) While Neither were quite as intense as a Rodenbach which in my opinion is possibly a little too intense, i still really enjoyed these beers and am inspired to brew one myself...
Ps. i was just wondering whether these were brewed in Winter or Summer?

Brewed in spring, in hindsight, probably not the best time to brew it, however i think it turned out alright, it's a blend of two batches(for sourness/body) to which morello cherries were added.

I tried your swap beer tonight, had a nice fruitiness with some noticable similarities flavourwise to the flanders red style...
fizzy carbonation, low head. Had a fair bit of fruit character from the brett, however had a fair bit of acetic character, the flavour was nice initially but after a while I could taste an oxidized kinda flavour. I'll save my next stubbie of yours for a while and see how it develops.
Maybe double check your storage vessel though, with how much acetic character it had, it's usually indicative of exposure to Oxygen.

Cheers for the interesting beer
Q

i didn't mean it as in its a 'bitter beer' more as in i could taste a bitter aftertaste which differed from Q's Flanders... perhaps it could just be perceived bitterness to my taste aswell, would be interesting to see if other people taste it or its purely just my taste buds

cheers phil

yeah for my beer to have an acetic and oxidised character does make sense as It had quite a bit of headspace and for 6 months (though i thought the pellicle would've stopped this) i'll have to rack my current beer to a smaller vessel perhaps as I've done the same thing again... so thanks for the advice , I'll have to try another one soon

Hey NSW guys,

has kabooby let you have your swaps contributions yet ? ;)

Has everyone got the right amount of beers etc?

Any reviews yet or is everyone saving the beers for christmas.

I'm thinking I'll take a few over to the in-laws tomorrow.

Cheers and best wishes for X-mas

Q

been in nz and will pick mine up from stuster hopefully this arve. might crack a couple for the boxing day test

btw do I owe you money quintrex?

been in nz and will pick mine up from stuster hopefully this arve. might crack a couple for the boxing day test

btw do I owe you money quintrex?

Nope, Kabooby sorted it all from his end, so you'll need to fix him up.

Looking forward to cracking yours NM, will be having a sour beer fest on that day, I think.

BTW does anyone have any advice on making a good gueze? i've been dreaming about the drie fonteinen vintage(?) gueze since I tasted it.

Cheers
Q

Has kabooby let you have your swaps contributions yet ? ;)

Has everyone got the right amount of beers etc?

Any reviews yet or is everyone saving the beers for christmas.

Kabooby, Stuster and exchanged beers last week, so we're all good. I have all the right beers as far as I can tell (although see below!) I've only had a couple of them so far...

4. Neonmeate - lambicised supersaison

Pours pale gold with very light carbonation. I didn't get a lot of aroma, but that may just be because I served it a little cold. The Flavour's all about funk, in a crisp easy drinking kind of way rather than being out and out sour, and the carbonation suits it well. It's very dry and crisp, and reminded me of champagne. I couldn't spot that this is nearly 10%, until about 20 minutes later. Fortunately I scored three of these in my case, as the first vanished far too quickly. Thanks Neonmeate, I really enjoyed this one.

8. Pmolou- 100% Brett C - Vic

To be honest, I found this one a little bit more challenging. Pours deep copper with very light carbonation (might need a little more time in the bottle, I think) and the nose is immediately fruity and acidic. I couldn't help but think of Branston pickle! I haven't tried a 100% brett before, and I don't think I've tried Brett C at all, so this was a new experience. The flavour follows on from the nose - lots of fruit and "vinegary" sourness, which I'm afraid wasn't really my cup of tea. I think it may have benefitted from higher carbonation. Thanks pmolou, that was an experience!

Latest posts

Back