Funky Beer Swap

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I m a patient man and I don't drink a lot, so I am still going on swap number one beers (didn't notice the second coming until it was too late...)

Q's Flanders red

Poured a hazy (but not too bad) Red/Brown into a Chimay goblet @ 7C - Glass was either not properly cleaned, or the beer has no head retention whatsoever. It was very fizzy on the pour, almost like pouring a glass of soda water, but the head lasted no longer than the initial fizz, gone almost immediately. Left it looking a little limp and flat in the glass, even though the beer is quite highly carbonated.

The aromas are all florals, grape and maybe a little stonefruit, with a hint of vinegar, but subtle and woody like a good balsamic. Bit of Brett barnyard stuff, at the leathery/earthy end of the Brett spectrum rather than sweaty and rank. And I don't know if its brett, malt or barrel - but I get what I think is a touch of sandlewood.

Flavours are really well balanced. There's great acid, but restrained with a nice mix of mainly clean lactic and just a little acetic. Woodiness is more prominent and is giving a tannin structure to the beer like a red wine. Bitterness is just enough to balance the malt sweetness and leave it with a clean acid dominated finish that tails off and leaves you looking for another sip.

As the beer warms up (been going for about 15 minutes so far on this glass) it loses a bit of the fruitiness on the nose and the malt comes out more in both the aroma and the palate, this balances the acid a bit more effectively and leaves the beer more "strongly tart' than actually sour. It could be that I am just getting used to the acid level though.. going to pour glass number two now.

Now I'm getting hint of artificial strawberry on the nose, which would be nasty if it was strong, but in the small amount its there is just pushing the general fruitiness level up, A definite shot of vanilla, a bit of ethanol and I might be getting a smidge of general "hoppy" - but I am really reaching for aromas now and am in danger of starting to imagine stuff.

Softer and smoother warm, finishes with a little acid on the edges of the tongue, vanilla down the center and just the right amount of bitterness on the back palate.

I think this beer is top notch and probably the best Flanders red I have tried, although admittedly it isn't a large sample size. Complex but subtle and with excellent balance that makes it very very drinkable.

Thanks Q

TB

PS - my damn stout has been getting less and less sour as time passes. I don't know why or how, but beer I thought was a perfect candidate for a "funky" beer swap is starting to seriously normalise. If you haven't drunk mine yet, do it now or the damn thing wont be funky at all and I will feel like a swap cheat.

PS - my damn stout has been getting less and less sour as time passes. I don't know why or how, but beer I thought was a perfect candidate for a "funky" beer swap is starting to seriously normalise. If you haven't drunk mine yet, do it now or the damn thing wont be funky at all and I will feel like a swap cheat.

i was wondering why you put drink now on it - i thought it mustve been cause it was going to get too sour, or overcarbed? how is it getting less sour?
(havent been drinking for most of 2010 sadly so ive got an excuse for not having had it yet)

I m a patient man and I don't drink a lot, so I am still going on swap number one beers (didn't notice the second coming until it was too late...)

Hey TB

Thanks for the review, Stick your name down on the reserves list for the new swap, I'm sure we'll find a way to accomodate anyone keen on the reserves.

I shared your swap beer with some friends recently, i'm so sorry but my memories of the matter are hazy. What I can remember is thinking, damn this is a big ballsy beer :). Nicely balanced, just really damn big. Could pick up a little tart/sourness but very subtle. I've still got the stubbie of the unblended sour RIS from you so I'll have a taste of that in a more sober state and I'll do some tasting notes on that.

Do you have a t heory as to why it's getting less funky? conversion of the acids to make esters?

I posted this in the in the glass thread too, but here's an updated on PMlou's 100% BrettC, for those who got this beer twice like me...

PMLou's 100% BrettC from the sour case swap
2nd bottle, drunk with a little age on it.

Pineapple and other fruit on the nose, with a hint of sourness.
Slight sweeet malt flavour with the sour note at the end finishing the mouthfeel. This sour note is retained in the mouth to assist with each flavour.
Glad I had two bottles as the first was interesting young but is a far superior beer now.

Nice work!
100_brett_003.jpg

I posted this in the in the glass thread too, but here's an updated on PMlou's 100% BrettC, for those who got this beer twice like me...

PMLou's 100% BrettC from the sour case swap
2nd bottle, drunk with a little age on it.

Pineapple and other fruit on the nose, with a hint of sourness.
Slight sweeet malt flavour with the sour note at the end finishing the mouthfeel. This sour note is retained in the mouth to assist with each flavour.
Glad I had two bottles as the first was interesting young but is a far superior beer now.

Nice work!
View attachment 35695

I recently tried a second bottle of this too, it was a great improvement. Seemed a lot less harsh and balanced now.

I love how these beers can change so much.

Q

I tried one recently aswell and its a pitty i didn't carb them up higher for the swap, in case there were bottle bombs (didn't want to be responsible for someone losing an eye!)

still got one of pmolou's - i might hang on to it for a while. and add the dregs to something.

i've still got heaps of these to get through! had kook's flanders red the other day. lovely lovely beer. warm and malty and slightly toasty with wine-like acid and fruity esters. delicious, balanced and complex stuff. bravo

i had one mystery bottle out of this bunch - champagne bottle, no label but a smudged black texta on the cap - no idea whose or what it is! looks and tastes like another flanders red.... and a very good one - is this yours stuster?

i had one mystery bottle out of this bunch - champagne bottle, no label but a smudged black texta on the cap - no idea whose or what it is! looks and tastes like another flanders red.... and a very good one - is this yours stuster?
I think Stusters were all labelled, might be Voota's dodgy ass labeling. Did it look like a scrawled KLA or something :)

Has anyone had the Kabooby's dark strong yet, I''ve been itching to try it, but have been waiting for the cooler weather... which now seems upon us. Maybe I'll open it this weekend.

I had the pleasure of trying Stusters Old Ale on the weekend, Awesome beer. Really nice. First example of the style I've had though but really liked it.

Cheers

Q

hmm thats right i think i remember you saying there was another voota one in there. well, good work, whoever brewed it.

i had kabooby's earlier today as it happens. i was expecting something pretty wild with not one but TWO strains of brett, but it was surprisingly mellow and easy drinkin. some pleasant leathery dryness added to the existing round and rich plum/toffee/date dubbel sort of stuff. classy label too!

after a champagne bottle of each of these i'm settling into wednesday evening in style

hmm thats right i think i remember you saying there was another voota one in there. well, good work, whoever brewed it.

i had kabooby's earlier today as it happens. i was expecting something pretty wild with not one but TWO strains of brett, but it was surprisingly mellow and easy drinkin. some pleasant leathery dryness added to the existing round and rich plum/toffee/date dubbel sort of stuff. classy label too!

after a champagne bottle of each of these i'm settling into wednesday evening in style

Lucky ******* :)

I'm cooking some curries, that's thirsty work.... I brewed 50L of pseudo-gueze aimed at Mariage Parfait on the weekend, here's looking forward to the next swap.

Q

I shared a bottle of that Belgian Dark the other week - terrific drop. Not too funky as neonmate said, just a bit of moderate brettiness backing up a top notch belgian strong dark.

I am saving that bottle of Stuster's old ale for a special night (or something like that) after having a taste the other weekend I was damn impressed and I want to give the beer the attention it deserves and something nice to eat with it.

Apart from that I think I am all through my 2009 swap beers. It was a pleasure indeed. Well brewed everyone.

TB

I was surprised how mellow mine came out. Both strains were from white labs vials. They were out of date by a few months but that shouldn't matter with Brett. I have since made starters from dregs of various bottles and added that to other beers I have aging. They have much more complexity.

Anyway, thanks to everyone who entered this swap. Definitely looking forward to the next one.

Kabooby :)

honoured to be there next to drie fonteinen!
where'd you get drie fonteinen in this country!!?!? i want some

Latest posts

Back