Dollar Reaches Parity...

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Obviously not enough as we couldn't get any allocation this year :(

Didn't seem to have a problem buying a kg of this years PoR for $29 (retail price) just recently from Ellerslie (que nasty ph calls), now bear with me while i determine the mark up....

All for businesses making a profit and supporting quality HBS's but "stone the crows" 2-3-400% markups are gouging in my books.

Each to their own..

Smashin

Ive been eyeing off Jamil's Pliny the Elder clone. Ross has warrior, but its a little more than some other varieties (to be expected I guess). Its good to know that super alpha would make a reasonable sub though. A beer that big needs a lot of planning, so its something to think about.

Actually made that one recenlty and subbed the warrior for galena. Oh so looovely.

Now back on topic for the pissing contest :D

BYB

man, a lot of ranting from foamy mouth angry people here - Viva La Revolucin!. sure a LHBS wont be able to compete with hopsdirect etc in 500g lots, but i myself am a man of variety. i don't want 500g of every variety of hops i'm going to use, a lot of people seem to miss that LHBSs have their place. i'd like to see the people spouting how much of a gravy train hop retailing is try and start up their own LHBS :lol:

Oz dollar now 97c

I'm ordering all of next years hops !

Batz

Dammit... Dollar reaches parity just as money starts to run out around here. Wife's been off work for 18 months and things are tightening up.

I have my eye on so much stuff and no matter how cheap it is... Can't afford it.

Poo!!

Dammit... Dollar reaches parity just as money starts to run out around here. Wife's been off work for 18 months and things are tightening up.

I have my eye on so much stuff and no matter how cheap it is... Can't afford it.

Poo!!

I feel your pain - the payout from work is long gone and Austudy just doesn't take into account the savings to be made by buying your own mill and 25kg of grain at a time!

oh yeah? well I just got a new job and am rolling in cash, cant find anything i want to spend it on though

:lol: if only it were the case... I think I wrote that while I was dreaming :D

Here is a picture of our "case" :super: .

hopcase1.jpg

Any strange looks from customs?

Heh, yes, the first bloke fell over backwards, then I was sent to the xray machine, and the hugest coincidence is the xray machine bloke was an extract/partials brewer, and after a lot of fast talking there was no "rubber-glove" treatment . *phew*

Here is a picture of our "case" :super: .

And there was me about to celebrate the safe arrival of 2.5 keys in the post yesterday, 8 days order to arrival. That case is epic!

And there was me about to celebrate the safe arrival of 2.5 keys in the post yesterday, 8 days order to arrival. That case is epic!
I used my dirty socks and jocks as padding in between the layers (quarrantine loves sifting thru that :D ).
I should've left them in for the photo, because they looked spectacular with the dozen or so Rogue/Chimay/SNPA/Kona longnecks they were wrapped in.

I used my dirty socks and jocks as padding in between the layers (quarrantine loves sifting thru that :D ).
I should've left them in for the photo
I thought you did ... the photo looks like it has ladies stockings spaced between the hops.

Being an Englishman living in the States I take for granted the prices of homebrew ingredients and equipment, after reading briefly through this thread I totally see why you would want to buy from the US but remember LHBS-if it wasnt for local people you wouldnt have these stores and than when you do need something that would take 2 weeks to be shipped you`ll be cursing
Just my 2 cents
Cheers
Paul ;)

Being an Englishman living in the States I take for granted the prices of homebrew ingredients and equipment, after reading briefly through this thread I totally see why you would want to buy from the US but remember LHBS-if it wasnt for local people you wouldnt have these stores and than when you do need something that would take 2 weeks to be shipped you`ll be cursing
Just my 2 cents
Cheers
Paul ;)

I live in a city of over 400,000 people. There is only one HBS that sells hops and grain and they're terrible and expensive and the guy that runs the place is a fountain of crap. All the other "homebrew" shops sell cans of expensive goo and 2 year old packets of S23 to people recommending they ferment at 28C. I'm serious - HBS here are just awful.

I have to drive for an hour north (through the backblocks of Brisvegas) to find people who know how to make beer, not homebrew. It just happens that there is another big city right by me otherwise I'd buy everything from overseas.

Latest posts

Back