• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Aussie Home Brewer and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or click here to donate.

hop back

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AntonW

Reaction score
I've been thinking that I'd like a hop back and that one day I may actually purchase one. I'm interested in the thoughts of those who've had experience with such things, and the thoughts of those who may be interested in acquiring one somehow.

I quite like the look of this one:

337-hopback-hb3pl-fb-800-01.jpg

https://conical-fermenter.com/HB3PL-FB- ... e-Lid.html
Takes up to 425g of flowers, suitable for batches up to 114 litres.

But they also do smaller ones (and other sizes in between):

1g-hop-back-334-hb1cl-800.jpg

Takes up to 100g of flowers, suitable for batches up to 26 litres. $104USD = $135AUD
Postage would probably get you pretty close to $200AUD

The flowers need to go in nylon bag, which I don't like so much but I can probably live with.

Compared to the blichmann hop rocket, of course:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/like/2617218 ... 107&chn=ps
holds 85g of hops (can be pellets I think) for $220 including postage. Probably suitable for fairly large batches (65 litres?) if you use pellets.
I don't think I want this one due to its size.

Things that have occurred to me:

1. hop aroma
2. an extra process at the end of the brew day
3. something else to sanitize, and then clean
4. flowers only (kind of cool though)
5. relatively simple bit of kit that could be made up fairly easily (I don't need a pressure lid for example)
6. US exchange rate sucks, but it usually does
7. have to swap the triclover hose barbs for triclovers with 1/2" threads (+$30 to $50, and then another $30 for disconnects)
8. hop aroma

I've also been asking KegKing to hurry up and make one. It's on their list, but no where near the top and it's unlikely to be the size I want.

What do y'all reckon? Bulk buy? Order from an aussie manufacturer? Bulk order of parts/kit to make them? Don't bother and just dry hop/load up the late additions?

I have thought of a hopback aswell, but the hurdle is getting the hop flowers to use.

You can source Aussie flowers and NZ but the best hops ( personal opinion ) are US ones and my understanding is you cant import them, if you can Id like to know how?

I made one a long time ago and threw it away when I moved from the USA back to Australia, thinking I'd never need it........ do I regret that.....hell yes.

Even though we cannot get a huge range of flowers here, the ones we can would be worth experimenting with. The aroma they produce is outstanding and different from both flame out additions and dry hop additions. Most commercial breweries do similar additions in the whirlpool which then goes straight to the chiller, same effect. So if you want that full on aroma that you find in the commercial IPA/APA beers, hop back is a good thing.

But, hard to find at a reasonable price.

This is the the type of one I built. When you buy the container, make sure that the lid & silicone seal stay firmly in place. I ended up building multiple as the first few were not a great fit and when filled with hot wort, the silicone seal shifted and started leaking (badly). Otherwise, it worked really well.

Thanks for your responses. One of the reasons that I want to go with a hop back is that I don't brew at home, and timing my dry hop additions to coincide with the last stages of fermentation, and then removing them after 3-5 days can be a bit of a pain. I'd much rather a set and forget approach. Also, I find that dry hopping can impart flavours that I don't really like, and it means there will be hops in the yeast cake, which is not the best when you reuse the yeast.

I wrote to stout tanks to ask which model would suit me best. I was impressed with their response (shame they're not an aussie company) and this is what they said:

[SIZE=11pt]Hello Anton![/SIZE]
[SIZE=11pt]Thanks for your email! I think I’d recommend the 2.7 gal hop back. I think that will suit your needs and since it’s considerably less expensive it’s probably a better buy. Here are the answers to your questions though:[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=11pt]There isn’t really a minimum amount of hops for the hop back, you’d be able to use less than 19 oz. with the 5.5 gal.[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=11pt]We don’t make a false bottom that will fit the 2.7 gal., but even with the 5.5 gallon tank I would recommend using a hop bag to contain the hops inside the hop back. I agree the false bottom adds some extra security, but I don’t think it’s necessary if you’re using a hop bag.[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=11pt]We can’t swap out the hose barbs, but we do sell 1/2” male NPT / tri-clamp pieces. They’re not listed on the website, but they’re $10.99 and I could send you an invoice with a “Buy Now” button for them if you want.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=11pt]No worries about the questions! Let me know if I can get you any more details![/SIZE]

Sorry to hijack. Has anyone used a water filter housing as a hop back?

I've got one with a mesh screen but unsure of the plastic at those temps.

I'm not sure that they're good at hot wort temps.

Latest posts

Back