Dollar Reaches Parity...

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I live in a city of over 400,000 people. There is only one HBS that sells hops and grain and they're terrible and expensive and the guy that runs the place is a fountain of crap. All the other "homebrew" shops sell cans of expensive goo and 2 year old packets of S23 to people recommending they ferment at 28C. I'm serious - HBS here are just awful.

I have to drive for an hour north (through the backblocks of Brisvegas) to find people who know how to make beer, not homebrew. It just happens that there is another big city right by me otherwise I'd buy everything from overseas.
Unfortunate for you but they are not all like that. Mind you most old style HBS only ever evolved to cans of Goo and never saw the need to look at All Grain as it is the devil's work. There are a few of us out there are more concerned with educating the brewers with correct information and quality products, unfortunately we don't get supported when it comes to brewers spending their money, as its cheaper in the USA. Catch 22 situation.
GB

...unfortunately we don't get supported when it comes to brewers spending their money, as its cheaper in the USA. Catch 22 situation.
GB

I hear ya, but I also can't stand that word, "support" when used by someone in business for profit.

As a consumer it's my task to find the best quality at the lowest price. I don't often ask advice from people who are in business because too often the advice is biased or loaded towards their marketing strategy. As such, virtually none of my brewing knowledge has come from retailers.

For those who need their LHBS to educated them on brewing then I can see where the "support" comes in. I've heard too much biased retailing, "Oh no - you don't want that stuff I don't sell - it's rubbish. Here buy the stuff I sell!"

There's no catch22 situations in commerce, just people who try to compete on service, not price - the internet slays that business model. These days the consumer's level of product and hobby knowledge is often sufficient enough that they can easily obtain enough information on product quality and price sitting in the comfort of their home. As in my situation (having no decent LHBS) my browser does not have borders so why should my spending? I fully intend to exploit the strong dollar, and if retailers want to still pretend the aussie dollar only buys 49 US cents that's their problem.

The question is: why is it three times cheaper for me to buy non-American hops from America than Australia? $12 a pound for Euro hops...

anyway any perlick 525ss tap purchasing advice or are we all still on our high horse?

US seller on ebay, sells the tap and all except the handle, delivered for about $75 aus total. :beerbang:

edit: search brauman59. Recommended.

Excuse me if stepping into an ongoing discussion without reading to closely the whole thing.

On buying hops from the US I feel (a loaded word I know) it's like any other bulk buy at home.
My 2c on bulk buys tend to compare the LHBS to a consulting firm:

I work in IT, we hire consultants every now and then.
Consultants are used when we do not have the skills in-house, and it would take too long to get the skills. Or if we have the skills but not the capasity.
Consultants cost from $27/hour from your basic help desk guy if you want him for a week, to $250/hour for buying the skills only from some high-level exchange/sql girl/guy.
So someone came in on Friday, helped us harden a linux server in the DMZ and charged us $200/hour to do the security audit.
But we didn;t really pay some guy we didn;t know $600 for stopping by and saying hi, we paid for the time he has spent learning the necessary skills so he could do what we wanted, in the time we had available.
We realise skills cost money. (probably the short version of this entire post?)

( That's why we IT guys don't appreciate being called by someone we spoke with 5 years ago, and after 12 seconds of dry chatter they want free IT support. Sorry, yet another discussion)

Your local home brew shop is kind of like a consulting firm.
You go there and buy some grains, a bit of hops, that one little vial of specialty yeast they accidentally had in the fridge, etc. While there you ask for advice on the recipe, the grain bill, would they mind selling you 140 grams of some specialty malt rather than having to order 25 kg from somewhere, etc.
(if this does not seem like an advantage you want to pay for, try asking someone at BigW/K-Mart about their DME selection..)

Most of us do not expect to pay for this (the advice, the availability of special stuff).
Why? You would pay for a plumber to stop by and give you advice on what you have to do about your leaking pipes. You would pay an electrician stopping by to give you advice on how best to wire up your garage/brew shed.
So why do we not pay for the skills and experience from the LHBS?

Very simple view:
3 ways to get what you want (let's pretend for now you didn;t need the LHBS to go from kits to AG).
-LHBS
-Internet/bulk buys, wherever you can get it cheaply
-retail (BigW./Woolworths, K-mart, etc)

Now, the person running that (often) modest business of a LHBS is a die-hard brew fan,right? What would it take to get you to drop your job and convince your wife you would make enough selling cracked grains and cans of malt extract.. So they are generally not your Wall-street die hard capitalists, but someone who is trying to make a living from their hobby/obsession (sorry, yet another discussion!)./

I join a bulk buy every now and then.
It pains me a little, I feel we should support the local homebrew shop because they provide more value than they charge. Not because I am an idealist or have a romanitc view of the poor, struggeling shop owner. But because they consult our (mine) needs without question. Help me with a recipe, suggests options, supplements or replacements, ALWAYS order the special yeast or grains I want to test without any questions or demands of minimal orders or depostis.. Generally the LHBS does a LOT more than what I expect from the professional consutling companies I deal with professionally. .

As I 'admitted" I do the odd bulk buy, I don';t mind getting the odd bag of grains a bit cheaper to help my budget go further a couple of times a year. But I definetly feel we need to understand what we are buying from the LHBS. We are buying consulting, and the availibility of their warehouse of stock items..
So when buying 150 gr of Carafe II and 80 gr of Chocolate malt plus that WLP002 yeast, let's acknowledge what they are doing to be able to offer you that service.

If you want to be able to continue asking questions, getting specialty malts and getting that one yeast you wanted, let;'s agree that homebrew shops can charge whatever they need on a bag of hops, ok?

If they mark up hops 300% that means they do whatever ANY CLOTHES STORE DO every day of the week, but I don;t hear many people ordering white cotton t-shirts from Thailand and slagging Mayers off.. And if they did, good on them. In our case, though, we need the experience (and willingness to bind capital in funny yeasts and grains, and other little pieces of "important stuff" so guys like us can drop by last Monday when my yeast starter smelled funny and I wanted another one :D )
And to be fair, to cover rent and sending kids to school in clothes probably does require a bit of salary (much like the rest of us) so making $5 per 100 gr of hops can't be a capital offence, surely?

Not trying to kick off another whole bag of snakes here(doesn;t sound like the right phrase but I have had a beer and can't be bothered looking it up right now :D ) , just feel that some times people not used to dealing with consultants do not consider the value of having skills (and stock) on hand, and that the LHBS is some times made out to be a mean, fat guy making millions by being greedy, hehehe.

Bjorn

I don;t hear many people ordering white cotton t-shirts from Thailand and slagging Mayers off

I like to support Coles Mayer. Poor things can hardly keep their shareholders rich - even took the homebrew off their shelves because there's less profit in people making beer than in selling them it from Liquorland...

Wise up! They're all out to fleece us! :lol:

Anyway, when I'm brewing with my pound of 2010 Amarillo for $13 ... you guys are welcome to smell my burps.

Nick,
after reading a lot of your posts and the considerable time you have spent showing (consulting?) new brewers how they can go AG for $30, etc I believe you understand what I mean.
:D
Bjorn

Hey Bjorn,

Nice post mate...I work in IT too, we hire contractors too of very varying rates depending on skills req'd. We really need to catch up for that beer or 6 soon.....would love to hear what you do etc, how married life is going, what made u move to Oz, when are the kids coming...HURRY UP WITH THE KIDS....anyway, save it until we catch up. In a tiny weeny nutshell, I am an IT Infrastructure manager that looks after porfolio of customers in a MASSIVE Australian giant and all their infrastructure needs, from projects, new infra, upgrades, support, issues, & more etc

I so LOVE that phone call from a friend U never hear from...except when they have computer problems. Oh...Hi rendo...ummm...i havent seen u in five years...but my computer is broken, when can u come around?? Well...I say...i have two kids and work like a *******, so....pretty much never. Sorry. Family (and good friends) are the exception of course.

As for bulk buys, US buys, well I love a bargain, but I'd hate for the LHBS shop to have to close because they arent creating enough turnover and margins/profit to go along with that.....so it goes both ways.

Rendo

Excuse me if stepping into an ongoing discussion without reading to closely the whole thing.

On buying hops from the US I feel (a loaded word I know) it's like any other bulk buy at home.
My 2c on bulk buys tend to compare the LHBS to a consulting firm:

I work in IT, we hire consultants every now and then.
Consultants are used when we do not have the skills in-house, and it would take too long to get the skills. Or if we have the skills but not the capasity.
Consultants cost from $27/hour from your basic help desk guy if you want him for a week, to $250/hour for buying the skills only from some high-level exchange/sql girl/guy.
So someone came in on Friday, helped us harden a linux server in the DMZ and charged us $200/hour to do the security audit.
But we didn;t really pay some guy we didn;t know $600 for stopping by and saying hi, we paid for the time he has spent learning the necessary skills so he could do what we wanted, in the time we had available.
We realise skills cost money. (probably the short version of this entire post?)

( That's why we IT guys don't appreciate being called by someone we spoke with 5 years ago, and after 12 seconds of dry chatter they want free IT support. Sorry, yet another discussion)

Your local home brew shop is kind of like a consulting firm.
You go there and buy some grains, a bit of hops, that one little vial of specialty yeast they accidentally had in the fridge, etc. While there you ask for advice on the recipe, the grain bill, would they mind selling you 140 grams of some specialty malt rather than having to order 25 kg from somewhere, etc.

Bjorn

why go to a lhbs and get recipe advice from one guy, who might be in a bad mood. when i can post the same recipe on here and get dozens of replies and advice?

i still go to the lhbs because i have one relatively close by and its generally well stocked and means i dont need to pay for shipping. but ask them about a recipe and theyll mumble and say "yeah that sounds fine".

but if everyone started buying from the lhbs then eventually they would become big enough to pass on near wholesaler prices to us, but hey i doubt that would happen considering there arent enough people to get that sort of change going.

once those 2010 pellets come out on hopsdirect i have no doubt ill be getting mine from there.

to each their own

Boris,
to each and everyone for sure.

Just saying we should realise what we are paying for, and it;s not the $5/100 gr of hops..
It's the consulting and the availability.

Not to mention how many of us would have gone from kits at Woolworths mixed with Brew Enhancer 1 to All Grain without the local homebrew shop answering some questions, letting you know mash-in does not involve mashing potatoes, etc.. (?)

3 misunderstandings on here:
1. it;s wrong to ask a newbiew question again (that' s why this is a forum and not wikipdia, so we collaborate...)
2: Pub beers are bad (we all started brewing wanting to copy Toohey;s New, Carlton Draught, etc before we learned)
3: homebrew shop owners are mean (they are just like us, just comittted enough to ... commit?)

:)

Rendo, I replied to you by PM. Let's take this offline.

Bjorn

Comparing an oracle guru to a homebrew store owner isn't giving much credit to the DBA.

That's like, select hop_variety from euro_hops where price = "nutso expensive australian prices" and availability = null

You would have to ask the hop wholesalers about that and not the retailers. ;)
GB

At those RETAIL prices I could get 20lbs of Czech Saaz from the Czech Rep. bought wholesale by USA companies and then sent to Australia at their retail, repack them into 100g lots and mark them up by 200% and still undercut everyone else. Come on, no one believes you struggle to make profit on a 400% markup. Stop bullshitting.

And, WTF are you guys buying hops at? ;) Not my retail cost... GEEEEZUS.

If people are buying hops from the US ... lower your prices to compete or STFU.

yeah, if we can buy hops at these wholesale prices (and savings), wonder what the lhbs gets...

man, rent must be getting expensive in perth

There's an interesting thread here where usa berwers are asking LHBS's why their prices are so much higher than what they can buy on the net. Its because the hop buyers in america (LHBS) are buying on contract so are buying for more than current market prices. I don't think 200-300% markup is really that uncommon in the retail industry, especially in a niche market such as homebrewing.

Most homebrewing shops i've been too haven't seemed to making the big dollars, they do smell nice though.

... the photo looks like it has ladies stockings spaced between the hops.
Made me lol Wolfy :p But wait... How would you know what ladies' stockings look like? when crumpled up? :D

I agree Nick, the importers need to adapt to the changing market, whether they like it or not.

And its not just the hops, all brewery equipment that's imported is doubled everytime it passes someones hands.
Australians (like me), have paid stupid prices for too long, and not just brew gear; cars, car parts, tools, clothes, shoes, computers, etc.
Compared to car parts and clothes, the homebrew retailer is actually not too bad for blatant markups.
The worst offenders (and biggest targets), are those middle-men Importers that "demand" they be sole distributor. And legally the LHBS cannot subvert the sole distributor rights.

The laws need changing to allow LHBS to go shopping like we do (but even then I'd still spend time researching to save$ with a better deal).

The worst offenders (and biggest targets), are those middle-men Importers that "demand" they be sole distributor. And legally the LHBS cannot subvert the sole distributor rights.
I think you have just made a very valid point ! Try and get around the big malt/hop importers and see what you get told or you will be quoted a stupid price, which is a tactic they use. Even at a local state level you find yourself up against a hard wall.
Good thing I enjoy doing what I do.
PS I drive a 1994 Nissan not a GTS 350 :blink:
GB

Nick Take your hand off it for once ! How do you expect anybody to lower their prices to compete when you are getting rock bottom price direct from the grower/importer (being you) ?
About time you did some research or STFU. Find out what we were paying for Amerillo back in 2008 , you will be shocked.
GB

At those RETAIL prices I could get 20lbs of Czech Saaz from the Czech Rep. bought wholesale by USA companies and then sent to Australia at their retail, repack them into 100g lots and mark them up by 200% and still undercut everyone else. Come on, no one believes you struggle to make profit on a 400% markup. Stop bullshitting.

all good for you operating out of your mums basement, but what about a brick and mortar store that needs to pay a couple of employee wages, $5k a week rent, GST, a line of fridges to keep the hops cool, etc etc... then consider the 20 or so dedicated AG/full extract brewers in the area that dont buy anywhere near enough to support your business with a 5% markup...people dont run shops because the really enjoy being a retailer, they have to make a living too

I havent really bought anything in years, and am not trying to say what is and what isnt, but there's a lot for a retailer will take into account (I think theyre called 'overheads'); certainly more than just "wholesale price + x% profit"

I think it is pretty clear about the price direct from the US.

Now think about it.

An Australian retailer is quoting prices from Australia in smaller sized packaging.
So take into account
- postage to Aust. (so basically double the starting price)
- cost of labour to repackage into smaller convenient sizes
- cost of vac sealer, and not just the budget version.
- cost of bags
- cost of shrinkage - drop a few pellets on the floor and they can;t be used
- cost of shop overheads; rent/power/taxes/insurances/fridges/etc
- cost of losses; hops being stolen, spoilage.
And try and make a profit, yes after all they are a business

Now work out how much $ the difference is per batch of beer. It comes down to you to decide do you want a freezer full of 20 or more hop varieties at 1LB each, and have to wait for new hops for a few weeks as they have to get imported with the risk if you loose power for a decent amount of time you may loose your stock pile; OR are you happy paying the difference to get smaller quantities locally and fairly fast, and not need to keep several years worth of supply on hand. It is your choice!

QldKev

blah ******* blah....its the annual gripe about the cost of lhbs hops compared to the cost of getting them from overseas....yawn ******* yawn.

Latest posts

Back