Horizon Comparative Brew

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And what about the first brew? What gravity did that one start on/get stuck on? Same mashing regimen, yeast, etc?

EDIT: It doesn't sound to me like its infected either; your yeast got going in both brews, right? Just conked out at an early point? I would have thought most infections wouldn't even let the yeast start. And with no-other signs of infection.... And the fact that an added yeast made it go down a few points more..... it seems to me it's something else. (Could be wrong, I often am....)

carniebrew said:
PT, I know it probably goes against all of a brewer's principles to do this, but can I encourage you to bring some of the brew along to a meeting? I reckon "failed" brews, which we all have from time to time, are a great opportunity for guys in the club to get some practice identifying off flavours, and hopefully will generate some discussion around what might have gone wrong....something we all can learn from. Bring the recipe too which will help with the discussion.
Sure thing

BM, how did you measure your mash temp? Have you calibrated your thermometer?

Also, have you done a forced ferment test?

Thanks for the replies guys.

The O.G. was 1048.

The first brew wasn't the same but it has done the exact same thing in getting stuck.

Mashing regime was 68C for 90mins in this batch, previous was only for 60mins at 66C.

The yeast I created a starter 24 hours before pitching.

I didn't shake the fermenter but poured from a height to create air, this has worked fine in the past but could be part of the problem.

If it was infected I've been told that usually activity is mental as all the nasties are constantly at work, so no activity is kind of seen as a good thing in this respect.

Temperatures measured using a standard glass thermometer, I have not calibrated this.

Not sure what a forced ferment test is! :)

Maybe the unfermentables is too blame... it does taste kinda sweet.

Definitely worth checking your thermometer, either against another one, or in ice or boiling water.

Forced ferment test is where you take a say 300ml sample in a jar. Keep it at room temp and shake it regularly over 24 hours (a bit like a yeast starter). Then check the gravity. If gravity doesn't drop, and you know your yeast is ok, then you have no fermentables left...

Here's a pdf Wyeast sent me in response to a question about it a year or so ago:
View attachment Wyeast - Forced ferm.pdf

The only problem is it doesn't tell you what to do with the results. It assumes your yeast is healthy, which is probably fair enough in your case given they got your wort down this far, you pitched more, and the warmer temp of the ferment test will mean the yeast won't be asleep from being too cold. But, if you're not convinced on the health of your yeast, if you do this test once and your gravity hasn't dropped, you can pitch more yeast onto the sample and shake it again for 24 hours to see what happens.

If it does ferment further this time, your yeast was the issue. If it doesn't, there's something going on with your mash temp I'd guess?

I was thinking with the tasting that maybe we should try beers in order of lowest ibu's to highest. That way we don't lose the flavour of the lower bittered beers to the big bangers.

Ps. I can help set up and serve with the blind taste testings.

Hi everyone, the time has come to organise the administration of this tasting.

I will be collecting the beers before the May meeting and arriving early at Temple on Wednesday May 28 to set everything up. All brewers and tasters will be provided with a pen and paper for note taking, some suggestions for judging ideas/criteria, a tasting glass and water crackers (the 2009 research study Efficacy of Various Palate Cleansers with Representative Foods indicates that table water crackers cleanse the palate of all flavors, also they are cheap). There will be water and a couple of slop buckets provided for rinsing out your glass between tastes if you are so inclined. Based on comparing twelve beers, the tasting activity will take approximately sixty minutes. Identification of the beers, presentations by the brewers and group discussion will follow.

The date for collection is Sunday May 25 in preparation for the meeting that Wednesday. If you are not going to be home this Sunday please leave the beer on your doorstep. If your beer is not going to be ready by Sunday, please bring it to the meeting yourself and ensure that it is chilled. However, it would be great if all beers could be collected prior to the meeting in order to ensure the integrity and smooth running of the blind tasting.

With that said, please PM me the addresses of your fine brews. If you live close to other members then dropping off there first and creating a beer depot will make collection more efficient, but I am not averse to driving to each brewer as most members live in a fairly small geographic area anyway.

The amount of beer required for the tasting is two litres per beer type: 6 x 330mls is fine, as is 3 x 750mls or 2x 750mls and 2 x 330mls etc. This volume should provide for the tastings and any spills or emergency top-ups. When I collect your beer I will be putting the bottles in zip-lock bags which will then be labelled, so do not fear mix-ups. Your beer will immediately be refrigerated and kept there for the three days before the meeting.

Here is the list of beers as I understand it:

1. Carniebrew - Hybrid IPA (AG, BIAB)
2. Brouhaha - Germerican Pale Ale (AG, BIAB)
3. TimT - An incredibly surprising Pale Ale (AG, BIAR)
4. GDAH / New Guy - Dusseldorf Altbier (AG)
5. Forever Wort - Pale Saison (extract) COLLECTED
6. Pißwasser - India Red Ale (AG, BIAB)
7. Pressure_tested - stout (garage-ferment)
8. Wolfman- Irish Red Ale (Horizon and select) (AG)
9. Kevin H - Altbier (AG BIAB)
10. BreadMurderer - American Amber Ale (AG, BIAB)
11. mugley - Select Saison (AG, mini BIAB)
12. Forever Wort - Dark Saison (extract) COLLECTED

I will update this thread if/when the list evolves and as the beers are collected.

Nah my pale ale has pretty much run out, sorry. Didn't make too much in the first place but an infection got into some of it, which I've put in slug traps in the garden, and I've drunk most of the rest!

The IPA has turned out to be a non-fail, so adding it to the list...

1. Carniebrew - Hybrid IPA (AG, BIAB)
3. TimT - An incredibly surprising Pale Ale (AG, BIAR)
4. GDAH / New Guy - Dusseldorf Altbier (AG)
5. Forever Wort - Pale Saison (extract) COLLECTED
6. Pißwasser - India Red Ale (AG, BIAB)
7. Pressure_tested - stout (garage-ferment)
8. Wolfman- Irish Red Ale (Horizon and select) (AG)
9. Kevin H - Altbier (AG BIAB)
10. BreadMurderer - American Amber Ale (AG, BIAB)
11. mugley - Select Saison (AG, mini BIAB)
12. Forever Wort - Dark Saison (extract) COLLECTED
13. mugley - Horizon IPA (extract)

Thanks guys, we're getting there. I have taken away TimT's contribution and implemented tick marks for those who have contacted me to arrange collection.
  1. Carniebrew - Dry-Hopped Hybrid IPA (AG, BIAB)
  3. GDAH / New Guy - Dusseldorf Altbier (AG)
  4. 5. Forever Wort - Pale Saison (extract)
  5. Pißwasser - India Red Ale (AG, BIAB)
  6. Pressure_tested - stout (garage-ferment)
  7. Wolfman- Irish Red Ale (Horizon and select) (AG)
  8. Kevin H - Altbier (AG BIAB)
  9. BreadMurderer - American Amber Ale (AG, BIAB)
  10. mugley - Select Saison (AG, mini BIAB)
  11. Forever Wort - Dark Saison (extract)
  12. mugley - Horizon IPA (extract)

I have mine in a mini keg so I'll bring it on the night if that's cool?

That is fine, if you can bring it along ten minutes before starting time that will make it easier.

:)

Well mine most definitely won't be ready, I haven't even got round to doing the tests Justin mentioned! Feels like I've had no bloody time... It's currently still in my FV so it will be a no show. :huh:

Never mind mate, there's always next time.
  9. mugley - Select Saison (AG, mini BIAB)
  10. Forever Wort - Dark Saison (extract)
  11. mugley - Horizon IPA (extract)

Thanks to the brewers who met me this weekend to supply their beers for the tasting this coming Wednesday.

All entries are now accounted for - with the exception of Pißwasser's red ale (is he OK?). This means we will have eleven, possibly twelve, beers to compare on the day.

It can also be revealed that there will be a prize for the winning beer. In line with the Merri Masher's commitment to splendid brewing the club will be awarding over $20 worth of brewing ingredients to the beer voted top of the Free Hop Pops.

The winner and his/her beer will be published on the Merri Mashers website (along with the recipe and process used) following the meeting.

One final time: we look forward to seeing prospective and current MM members at Temple Brewery, East Brunswick, this Wednesday May 28 at 7PM. We will be taking registrations and payments at the door - for $50 you can join the club, receive four packets of Mangrove Jack's craft series yeast and take advantage of all the club has to offer going forward.

See you all then.

One more post to cap it all off ...

The winner of the comparative brew was Wolfman with his Irish Red Ale!

Congratulations! Don't forget to check the Merri Mashers website in the coming days for a wrap-up of the May meeting and the winning recipe!

It's all up to you mate. I sent your winning recipe and an 800-word wrap to Justin the day after the meeting but he hasn't put it up on the website yet, so if there is popular demand feel free to bang it on AHB.

Latest posts

Back