Horizon Comparative Brew

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Could do both. Anyone who wants to bring beer along, please do so, unless you especially want to save it for the "proper" tasting in May. Then bring more along in May for the comparison?
Besides, if there's no beer at the next meeting, I vote for going to a pub. Might risk bringing some dodgy 90/-.

Will any of these beers (or any not listed) be ready on the 29th of May?

1. Carniebrew - Hybrid IPA (AG, BIAB)
2. Brouhaha - Germerican Pale Ale (AG, BIAB)
3. TimT - An incredibly surprising Pale Ale (AG, BIAR)
4. GDAH / New Guy - Dusseldorf Altbier (AG)
5. Forever Wort - Pale Saison (extract)
6. Pißwasser - India Red Ale (AG, BIAB)
7. Pressure_tested - ESB (garage-ferment)

If not, we could as Kevin said go to a pub and then do the official tasting in May?
Or do we continue as planned with the Theatre Hall (that TimT has put a lot of effort into) and take some current home brew, not to judge but just to share / have whilst we conduct vote etc?

I think sticking with the theatre is the right move for the upcoming meeting as we need to work towards finding a stable venue anyway and we can all bring along our own beers. If we only have three or four beers Horizon/Select to compare that will still be interesting. I can whip up another one for the May meeting and bring two along, why not.

I agree we should stick with the theater this month, if the Horizon/Select beers aren't ready, so be it. I'm bottling mine today, well half of it anyway, as I'll dry hop the other half. There's a chance it'll be carbed up by April 29, but it'll be young for a 6%/50-odd IBU beer. If it's carbed I'll bring some along, otherwise we can do a non-dry hopped vs dry hopped comparison of mine at the May meeting.

Let's just bring some other home-brews along to the next meeting to keep us lubricated.

8. Wolfman- Irish Red Ale (Horizon and select) (AG)

Brewing mine today. Should be ready for the May Meeting.

Having a look at the Horizon bags I see that they have a lot of info on them. Does anyone know the Alpha of this batch?

Cheers mate. Just mashing now! Hope it will be ready in time for the May meeting.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1397531832.691582.jpg
I top cropped the 1007 german ale yeast yesterday when it was trying to escape out the top of the fermenter. I put a scoop of it into a 400 ml starter and it has already grown this much. This yeast is a beast!

Wolfman said:

Brewing mine today. Should be ready for the May Meeting.
if we're definitely talking May then I can be reinstated on the list. My alt was brewed Saturday.

9. Kevin H - Altbier (AG BIAB)
10. BreadMurderer - American Amber Ale (AG, BIAB)

Mine wwas brewed Monday and in the fermenter the next day, the glad wrap has expanded nicely so I see the yeast are having fun. I also added you back on the list Kev.

New_guy said:
10 beers !
This is great
Technically it'll be at least 11 tastings, 'coz I'm bringing both a dry hopped and non-dry hopped version of my IPA. Definitely do not drive to the May meeting!

Actually given what a couple of us have organised for the April meeting, I suggest not driving to that either. Despite having no free-hop beers to taste, trust me, we'll be anything but dry!

Suspect I might have over-hopped mine (weighed according to the recipe, looked at it and thought, "nah, that's not enough" and chucked more in) so we may have to call it an imperial alt or something. We'll see.

Dammit! Just racked off to secondary to begin CC and there is a definite hint of something phenolic or DMSish, or both. Not sure why. Used non-chlorinated water, sanitation was as usual and I had a vigorous boil with the lid off for about 90 mins. But if this turns out crap I'm not bringing it, and will have to pull out of the comp with tail between legs :(

C'mon Kev, think of it as though you're negating the need for the club to buy a taint kit!

Back