Horizon Comparative Brew

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The original post in this thread by Forever Wort did suggest just Horizon, but after a bit of to and fro, we settled on both hops, in post 14 here.

Forever Wort said:
<snip>
So it sounds like we're going with: the beer should feature Horizon and Select hops, with no other further hops to be used. As for the rest, it's up to us.
But if you've only used Horizon that's no biggie, and will be an worthwhile tasting regardless, should make for an interesting comparison with the brews using Select.

Haha. Off to a roaring start!
Actually, my original suggestion was to use either one or both in a brew, so TimT's covered the former I guess.

In terms of tasting, I'm happy with any level of seriousness, but I'll probably be most keen to do at least some basic notes on the standard Appearance/Aroma/Flavour/Overall. If someone/everyone wants to bring a BJCP etc copy of the style guide for their particular brew to compare against that'd be even better. I don't care about points etc but I do care about the subtle details in flavour, aroma, etc.
Also, on the bright side, if any flaws are present in the beers (oh please god let it not be mine!) that could be great as I might finally learn wtf diacetyl etc taste like - I still have no idea if all my beers are laced with a variety of these flaws as I've never had anyone actually point out a particular element and say "now that there is diacetyl, etc".
This will all probably cover the "Talk Beer" stuff fairly well :lol:

Well said TB, I am up for any type of competition and we should be able to flex to and from strutured formal competitions to more relaxed type arrangements as we see fit. I hope to be able to see if my beer actually does taste any good - my mates all say it does but who would tell you its shit when your handing out free beer.
I would really like to learn the definition of "off" flavours etc and think the purchase of one of the kits would be a great idea.

On another note I reckon some tshirts would be a laugh if we get a concensus on a logo....

If any one has an iphone there is a free app which has all of the bjcp styles. Just search for bjcp.

I was operating on the principle of Horizon and Select based on the discussion but I could have misinterpreted.

TimT, you could pop a pellet of Select in the fermenter tonight, then you're technically using both. But who cares really.

My light saison is going nuts. Can't wait to try it.

EDIT: New list:
  1. Carniebrew - Hybrid IPA (AG, BIAB)
  2. Brouhaha - Germerican Pale Ale (AG, BIAB)
  3. TimT - An incredibly surprising Pale Ale (AG, BIAR)
  4. GDAH / New Guy - Dusseldorf Altbier (AG)
  5. Forever Wort - Pale Saison (extract)
  6. Pißwasser - India Red Ale (AG, BIAB)
  7. Pressure_tested - ESB (garage-ferment)

Saison. Lovely. Nice selection of brews we've got going now. If I'd had better temperature control or been able to work with the Melbourne weather a bit more I might have done one too.

Some funky shit went down in the initial stages of the brew but I remain confident that the finished product will be delectable.

Note: my confidence has been proven time and time again to not be a guarantee.

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1397022671.961855.jpgdid some testing to see what I can do with late hopping my 'ESB'. Hop tea style.
Horizon on its own was a bit too grassy like and select on its own was a bit like spicy hop cordial. A lower quantity of both made a pretty awesome combo.
It's more like an English pale ale than ESB. Not enough biscuity toffee goodness.

I can't wait to try these seven beers!

Every time I open my beer fridge half a kilo of Select and Horizon aroma wafts out reminding me ...

Not sure mine's going to be ready in time. Checked the grav this morning and it's still 1.024 (was hoping for at least 1.012) I'm sure it will get there eventually but not in time for the next meeting... Might have to hold mine over till the next next meeting.

That's a shame. You can bring along a few bottles of another of your many fine, fine brews to compensate ;)
  1. Carniebrew - Hybrid IPA (AG, BIAB)
  2. TimT - An incredibly surprising Pale Ale (AG, BIAR)
  3. GDAH / New Guy - Dusseldorf Altbier (AG)
  4. Forever Wort - Pale Saison (extract)
  5. Pißwasser - India Red Ale (AG, BIAB)
  6. Pressure_tested - ESB (garage-ferment)

My 'Over the Horizon' American IPA (partial) will be ready in time for the May meeting. I had hoped I might be able to get it to someone before the next get together (which I can't make), but it's only just been bottled and should be given a little bit more time to age.
See everyone in May!
Cheers

It's a shame there won't be more beers to compare at the April meeting. If more people drop out we can always move the tasting to May. Patience is a virtue as they say.

Do we reschedule the tastings to the May meeting and get our admin sorted this month?

I'll bring mine along anyway, whether it's any good or not. And, if I get around to it, a Select-hopped IPA icecream.

Back