Horizon Comparative Brew

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got an interesting idea for a brew myself. Could work well - could be an absolute flop. Better get ready for another brewin'.....!

Actually got a brew day sorted with Going down the Hill, thanks Kev

Ok, my Merri Mashers Free Hop brew is no chilling as I type. Have never brewed with Horizon or Select before this, and I'll be pitching a yeast on it I've never used before either. WTF eh?

I'd better get on and get some grain & stuff, as well as emptying some bottles. No prizes for guessing which will be easier.

Well I'll need to check my current brew as I think it could be dead :unsure: so using these hops will be next on my list, could pop past G&G today actually...

carniebrew said:
Ok, my Merri Mashers Free Hop brew is no chilling as I type. Have never brewed with Horizon or Select before this, and I'll be pitching a yeast on it I've never used before either. WTF eh?
What style are you brewing, or is it a secret?

I was going to ask actually, are we posting here what we're brewing? I'm quite happy to if everyone else wants to play it that way.

Should we publish
a. Nothing
b. General details (e.g. Bavarian weizen, late hopped)
c. The entire recipe?

carniebrew said:
I was going to ask actually, are we posting here what we're brewing? I'm quite happy to if everyone else wants to play it that way.

Should we publish
a. Nothing
b. General details (e.g. Bavarian weizen, late hopped)
c. The entire recipe?
Let's put it all on here - will help motivate everyone

Ok, here's mine:

Recipe: Merri Mashers Challenge IPA
Brewer: Carnie
Style: English IPA
TYPE: All Grain, BIAB

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 19.91 l
Post Boil Volume: 15.41 l
Batch Size (fermenter): 11.00 l
Bottling Volume: 9.30 l
Estimated OG: 1.060 SG
Estimated Color: 16.9 EBC
Estimated IBU: 48.7 IBUs
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
3.00 kg Joe White Traditional Ale (5.9 EBC) Grain 1 89.6 %
0.20 kg Joe White Light Munich Malt (16.0 EBC) Grain 2 6.0 %
0.10 kg Joe White Dark Crystal (238.0 EBC) Grain 3 3.0 %
0.05 kg Corn Sugar (Dextrose) (0.0 EBC) Sugar 4 1.5 %
12.00 g Horizon [10.90 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 5 23.3 IBUs
30.00 g Select Spalt [4.90 %] - Boil 20.0 min Hop 6 15.9 IBUs
30.00 g Select Spalt [4.90 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 7 9.5 IBUs
30.00 g Select Spalt [4.90 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 8 0.0 IBUs
1.0 pkg Dry English Ale (White Labs #WLP007) Yeast 9 -
20.00 g Select Spalt [4.90 %] - Dry Hop 0.0 Days Hop 10 0.0 IBUs
Although with the dry hop I was thinking of bottling half the batch, then dry hopping the rest for a few days before bottling that, so we can compare, given the 3gm/l flameout addition I did, it may not need much dry hopping.

I think it'd be worthwhile to also do a summary list of who's brewing what; plus (if each brewer is up for it) post the recipe separately.
So lets start a list, & everyone adds to it:

1. Carniebrew - English IPA (AG, BIAB)

Just dropped some horizon & select to Going-Down-a-Hill, he's gonna do a Dusseldorf Altbier w TimT (?) i believe.

You could give it a crack yourself, mants ;)
I've still got a spare bag of each just waiting for your magic :p

Tempting. Planning an altbier early atumn so I could do a couple and compare. Have some spalt from the same temple giveaway.

2. Brouhaha - Germerican Pale Ale (AG, BIAB)

Gonna brew it on Monday, was all set up to brew today before I realised the grain I bought from G&G was unmilled (and they were closed for the day)... I'll post the recipe after I've made the inevitable brew day changes.

Well (hands on hips) haven't you people ever heard of *surprises*? It's nice to not tell other people about surprises, otherwise the surprises tend not to be .... surprising.

Of course you realise this is my paltry excuse for the fact that, as always, I'm just making it up as I go along. So far I've got a pale ale base, some Horizon for bittering. More details to come later....

2. Brouhaha - Germerican Pale Ale (AG, BIAB)
3. TimT - An incredibly surprising Pale Ale. AG. (Sort of BIAB - though more BIAR - Brew In A Rag).

Oh - and not sure if I was teaming up with Going Down A Hill? Didn't think I was. (Sorry - was I?) Anyway, too late now. Done a mash, chilled, and it's in the fermenter now.

TimT said:
Oh - and not sure if I was teaming up with Going Down A Hill? Didn't think I was. (Sorry - was I?) Anyway, too late now. Done a mash, chilled, and it's in the fermenter now.
GDAH might have been referring to a different Tim (maybe New_guy ?).
What i should've said was Mark is going to brew with Tim tomorrow. That would've really stressed a few people - I think we have at least 2-3 Marks & 2-3 Tims in MMs. :ph34r:

Or maybe TimT's surprise is that he brewed it without GDAH there... ;)

PS: is Carniebrew allowed to call his an English IPA? All those German hops! Surely it should be a German IPA. What would BJCP say about this?? (I'll leave that for manticle to respond to... :p )

Back