Getting ready for my second brew (and looking for tips)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elmoMakesBeer

Reaction score
In true lockdown style I've started growing food, making sourdough, and yes brewing beer.
My first go was with a fresh wort kit from Grain and Grape (Yarraville Pale). I followed the instructions and the result was great. For some reason the beer I made seems to be disappearing faster than I expected so I'm getting ready for my second brew.
The fresh wort kit was great, but I don't want to end up with a huge stash of plastic cubes (but I hear one or two might come in handy down the track if I start hot cubing). And it felt a little like cheating just putting it in the fermenter with some water and yeast and letting it do its thing. So this time I'm being brave and ordered an extract kit.
I based my order on the Kegland Chubby Bubby (Little Creatures pale clone) but it called for a wheat beer kit that wasn't in stock, and I'm not usually keen on wheat beer, so ordered an IPA kit instead. Also ordered the suggested crystal light malt specialty grain and Chinook hops to steep before fermenting.
Am I likely to end up with something too hoppy if I follow the instructions since I'm using an IPA kit instead of wheat beer? I do like hoppy ales, but don't want to rip my tongue off. Would I be better adding some or all of the hops later in the ferment to get less bitterness? Or just go for it and learn....

I prepared my frankensteined extract kit recipe today: steeped the grain, boiled the hops, and put everything in the fermenter. I topped it up with pre-boiled water to about 20.5 l (recipe said 20 but the OG was a little higher than I expected based on the recipe industructions so I added a bit more water). OG is 1.050 and it tastes pretty hoppy.
I'm confident this will be drinkable and hopefully even enjoyable. Now just waiting for the yeast to do its thing.

Back