Horizon Comparative Brew

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Forever Wort

Reaction score
Are any Merri Mashers keen to try something like this out sooner rather than later in order to get the comparative brewing ball rolling?

Tasting four or five (or twenty-five) beers that share some variables but not others is a club activity I look forward to immensely. Since we were so generously endowed with hoppy awesomeness last night, I thought one or two of you might like to join me in trying something like this out straight away.

All we need to do is agree on which variables we keep the same, and which ones we want to get creative on.

One possibility is a comparative brew using the following schematic:
  • Only Horizon hops to be used (exclusively Horizon: no other hops in the beer)
  • Beer must conform to most of the American Brown Ale style guidelines
The idea is to provide opportunities for creativity while keeping us anchored by commonalities. If people feel this is too restrictive, we could remove the style provision and exchange it for a certain malt or yeast.

Since we have been given so many hops, we could do a more official, "proper club" comparative brew later using Horizon or Select hops (as was spoken about last night) as well. This is just a suggestion for a few Merri Mashers to get involved in; a test to see if any of you are as impatient as I am. If we get onto it pronto we could even bring the brews along to the next meeting.

EDIT: Depending on when the next meeting is, April 29 should be OK.

Aren't we going to struggle getting a "citrusy American hop character" expected from an ABA using only Horizon? I thought also we'd agreed to pair up and brew beers using both our Horizon and Select?

I was thinking more an IPA, with the bittering coming mostly from the Horizon, and the aroma/flavour coming from the Select. A bit like the Hallertau Mitt version of Samuel Adams' "Latitude 48 Deconstructed IPA" series, only not single hop of course.

I don't mind what template is used at all. I will agree with anything.

This thread more asks: is anyone up for doing a collaborative brew using the hops just received right now, to bring to the next meeting, before the club initiates the proper one?

If you are up for an IPA carnie, let's do it.

I would be keen to do this as well. Ipa sounds good to me.

On a cheeky side note, seeing that I didn't make it last night are there any spare hops lying around? All cool if thats a no go.

Great idea.
Not sure if I'll be able to brew it before June, but I'll see if I can squeeze anything in.

My thoughts:
Brews showcasing these hops seem to be the obvious direction - that's Pale Ales & IPAs basically, but maybe some lighter options like kolsches, (faux) lagers would work.
The "official" brewing comparison later in the year will be much stricter so maybe leave this one a bit more free form.
Hops provide highly varied results depending on the malts & yeasts they're used with (obviously!) & the quantities they're used in (also obvious!).
So maybe it would be the best to start with everyone using only one or both of Horizon & Select in whatever combo of grains, yeast & style that they want. Ie: restrict the hops & leave everything else open.
One of the main things I'm still trying to familiarize myself with is which elements in a particular hops come out in each style it's used in.
Eg: what's a regular kolsch/lager with a noble hops like select taste like (pretty standard!), compared to how that same noble goes in an APA, IPA, AAA, Stout, etc.
So maybe go for breadth rather than depth for this first foray into Comparative Brewing.

MMCB - Merri Mashers Comparative Brewing, FTW!!

Be interesting to try some new, fresh Horizon stocks in a brew - alongside the ones kindly donated last night.

But I agree, a Horizon-only brew may end up quite one-dimensional, unless it's a malt-forward beer - in which case the Horizon won't really be that noticeable.

Forever Wort said:
I don't mind what template is used at all. I will agree with anything.

This thread more asks: is anyone up for doing a collaborative brew using the hops just received right now, to bring to the next meeting, before the club initiates the proper one?

If you are up for an IPA carnie, let's do it.
Ah ok, got it. Yes, I'm up for this.

I like what TB66 is suggesting as well. How about we choose whatever style we want, with the only rule being you use only the Horizon and the Select, in any combination you see fit? Would be a great way to end up with a variety of different styles, all using the same hops. Then our proper one can be more restrictive?

carniebrew said:
Aren't we going to struggle getting a "citrusy American hop character" expected from an ABA using only Horizon? I thought also we'd agreed to pair up and brew beers using both our Horizon and Select?

I was thinking more an IPA, with the bittering coming mostly from the Horizon, and the aroma/flavour coming from the Select. A bit like the Hallertau Mitt version of Samuel Adams' "Latitude 48 Deconstructed IPA" series, only not single hop of course.
Team idea sounds good for those of us (self included) who aren't so brew savvy

Also popped into the brewery at the end of my street today. Given the quantities of grain on offer, looks like we're looking at maybe some crystal to share around, rather a bulk of base malt.
So if we were to do something which highlights process here, I'd be inclined to steer away from something full of roast malt or stupid IBUs. Also happy to team up. Tho not sure to offer partnered use of my BIAB system to an extract brewer, or appeal to pair with someone with a RIMS kit.

Teaming up sounds fun. I'm thinking a comp would be later in the year anyway, so maybe between now and then we could figure out a good date and some simple guidelines for us to brew in.

A more relaxed comp/collaboration sounds good to me. A nice way to warm up before we do something more structured. I think we might be pressed for time to have them ready before the next meeting though.

If we brew this weekend that gives four weeks before the next meeting. Plenty of time!

If some people can't get a beer up before then, it's not big deal - just bring it along to the May meeting.

So it sounds like we're going with: the beer should feature Horizon and Select hops, with no other further hops to be used. As for the rest, it's up to us.

:beerbang:

Yep, sounds perfect, I'll try and brew an 8l or so batch this Saturday, or early next week. If anyone wants to join me, send me a PM.

Anyone going to Brew Sunday next week ? It's the only time I can make it

I've already got a brew planned for this weekend. I might trying doing the horizon/select beer as an extract batch while I mash in...

No way I can do this weekend. Too short notice. I'd have the starter on the go by now! Maybe the following weekend, but that would be a marriage demerit point or two.

New_Guy, I've seen at least one bit of your kit. Do you want to pair up?

Kevin Hawley said:
No way I can do this weekend. Too short notice. I'd have the starter on the go by now! Maybe the following weekend, but that would be a marriage demerit point or two.

New_Guy, I've seen at least one bit of your kit. Do you want to pair up?
That sounded better in my head.

Latest posts

Back