Imported Beers, Interesting Article

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Giant

Reaction score
FOREIGN BEERS AT FULL STRENGTH

Sydney Morning Herald
By William Simpson
20 September 2011
Page 19

The strong Australian dollar is proving a boon to beer importers, particularly with top-of-the-range brands from Belgium and the US becoming more competitively priced.

The state of the Aussie dollar allows everyone to receive the margins they are looking for," says the owner of Beer Importers & Distributors, Franck Berges. "Where a six-pack of Sam Adams Boston Lager used to sell for around $24 to $27 in the likes of Dan Murphy's, it's now under $20."

Berges has negotiated to import more brands from the Boston Beer Company. "We've imported Sam Adams Boston Lager for years but we're selling a lot more these days," he says. "But they've got an incredibly wide range and there's a growing interest in the whole US craft beer scene.

"We have to fit in with their production schedule but we'll start bringing in their Noble Pils, IPA and Pale Ale -which will arrive in Sydney before Christmas."

Berges also plans to start importing Boston's specialty range packaged in 750-millilitre corked bottles which includes such delights as a triple bock. And he's got his hands on three cases of the annual Utopias brew, a super potent 27 per cent wood-aged beer that tastes more like a cognac.

"It would have to sell at around $100 a bottle but we're probably going to give them away as an incentive to buy a quantity of Samuel Adams," he says.

For the managing director of The Hop & Spirit Company, Neil Barker, the buoyant exchange rate has allowed him to absorb other rising costs. "We haven't put our prices up for some time, even though freight charges keep going up," he says. "The freight rises are pretty horrendous and keep going up every month which is the equivalent of a couple of dollars for every case of beer."

Barker imports Brewdog and Adnams beers from Britain, and has recently taken over the Danish Mikkeller range from fellow Queensland-based importer Innspire. "Mikkeller fits in well with our other brands," he says. "We've got 24 different Mikkeller beers available in kegs and we're bringing in another 12 of their range, which will be available soon."

Two super-premium imports that caught Brew's eye are Sierra Nevada Southern Hemisphere Harvest and Harviestoun Ola Dubh, The Sierra Nevada ale is an annual brew made with early season, New Zealand hop flowers which are air-freighted in bales and used within days of harvesting. This year's varieties were Southern Cross, Motueka and Pacifica, giving this strong ale a multi-layered and highly-complex flavour profile.

OlaDubh means "black oil" in Gaelic and this beer is a neat crosspollination between a Scottish brewery and distillery.

Harviestoun brewery is based in central Scotland and this dark ale is finished in whisky casks from Orkney that previously held Highland Park 30-year-old single malt whisky.

The result is a thick, tarry beer with lively spirit and wood characters that would undoubtedly benefit from extended bottle ageing if you've got the patience.

Bought a six of Pilsner Urquell from Dans for $13 the other week - why the hell should I have to pay $18 for a supadrywankerbeer from CUB? Just as car manufacturing will disappear from Australia maybe it's time to consider closing the brewing industry (apart from craft breweries of course)

Then when the dollar goes the other way, people can take up home brewing - happy days ahead :icon_cheers:

Yep perfect example of Australian manufacturing being to greedy or having to high input costs from unions being greedy.

Just goes to show how much we are getting ripped off on other imported stock that beer prices are dropping on the $A where as others have stayed the same.

Petrol is the best example! 2008 when everyone was hitting the roof about petrol being $1.50, the aussie dollar was 50c to the $US1 and price per barrel was like $130. Hence their excuse for $1.50 per litre prices.

Now aussie dollar is $1.05 to the $US1 and price per barrel is around $100 yet we are still getting charged $1.50 per litre. Consumer getting ripped off again.

Where is fuel watch? oh thats right another Labor initiative that did nothing hahahahah

Love how BID put a spin on how they have dropped their prices, but yet continue to absolutely screw over the WA distributor he does business with.

wouldn't it be sad if these imported beers are left out on the back dock of dans for a day in the sun and people <_< at not only imported craft beer, but craft beer in general, driving them back to tooheys red - not at dans, surely!

:icon_offtopic: - would be good if the price of imported malt (or hops or yeast or TV's) dropped too - lol

Yep perfect example of Australian manufacturing being to greedy or having to high input costs from unions being greedy.

Just goes to show how much we are getting ripped off on other imported stock that beer prices are dropping on the $A where as others have stayed the same.

Petrol is the best example! 2008 when everyone was hitting the roof about petrol being $1.50, the aussie dollar was 50c to the $US1 and price per barrel was like $130. Hence their excuse for $1.50 per litre prices.

Now aussie dollar is $1.05 to the $US1 and price per barrel is around $100 yet we are still getting charged $1.50 per litre. Consumer getting ripped off again.

Where is fuel watch? oh thats right another Labor initiative that did nothing hahahahah

Do we buy oil from USA? Or is it a little less simple than we think?

Do we buy oil from USA? Or is it a little less simple than we think?

The price of oil in Australia is benchmarked against the wholesale price out of Singapore. Doesn't change the fact we are the only country in the world with a demand exploiting weekly price cycle, and get rogered by both the government and the oil companies at the petrol pump.

I think the point is
Buy some Sam Adams and get a free bottle of utopia's.

where do I sign.....

... Just as car manufacturing will disappear from Australia maybe it's time to consider closing the brewing industry (apart from craft breweries of course)...
Not sure if you're beng a bit tongue-in-cheek here but I've often wondered
whether this would be something we should be afraid of - that if the big
brewers aren't around the cost of malt is going to shoot up.

T.

"We have to fit in with their production schedule but we'll start bringing in their Noble Pils, IPA and Pale Ale -which will arrive in Sydney before Christmas."

Berges also plans to start importing Boston's specialty range packaged in 750-millilitre corked bottles which includes such delights as a triple bock. And he's got his hands on three cases of the annual Utopias brew, a super potent 27 per cent wood-aged beer that tastes more like a cognac.

"It would have to sell at around $100 a bottle but we're probably going to give them away as an incentive to buy a quantity of Samuel Adams," he says.

Sweet !!!!!
I hope I can get my hands on some of these and I hope they are treated well

wouldn't it be sad if these imported beers are left out on the back dock of dans for a day in the sun and people <_< at not only imported craft beer, but craft beer in general, driving them back to tooheys red - not at dans, surely!

:icon_offtopic: - would be good if the price of imported malt (or hops or yeast or TV's) dropped too - lol

:icon_offtopic:
I take it you haven't been in the market for a TV lately :icon_cheers:

vivo_TV.JPG

In 1979 I paid $600 for a heap o shit that looked like this:

colour_tv.jpeg

That's more like three grand in today's money.

Anyway where were we? Actually the best Dans around North Brisbane is at Chermside as they are in the mall not a shed, and the stock doesn't get left in the sun - it's off the trucks and straight in - often an night - with strict marshalling of the delivery docks at the centre.

Yeah but it's also the worst one to go to as a customer. There is only a tiny amount of parks that would be useful if you only wanted to duck into dans. Fighting the soccer mums for the other parks isn't my idea of fun.

The airport one is handy.

Yeah but it's also the worst one to go to as a customer. There is only a tiny amount of parks that would be useful if you only wanted to duck into dans. Fighting the soccer mums for the other parks isn't my idea of fun.

The airport one is handy.

My mate has a unit just behind there, hmmm I could park at his place, vist him, drink his single malt, goto Dans and purchase beers and flock off. As far as plans go this one seems sound :icon_cheers: .
Edit: sp

My mate has a unit just behind there, hmmm I could park at his place, vist him, drink his single malt, goto Dans and purchase beers and flock off. As far as plans go this one seems sound :icon_cheers: .
Edit: sp

Yep just make sure you do it in that order otherwise he'll want some of your beer...

As it's an 80k round trip I usually pull off my Dans expedition by following this plan:

Any oil paints and medium and canvases you need? We could go down to Riot Art and Craft at Chermside
And Check out the shoe shops
And that incredible japanese fast rice / noodle place at the Northern Food Court

(where Dan's just happens to be)

:p

Haha I can just see you posting on a baking forum and recycling pictures of the cupcake trays you made out of some recycled car parts or something.

Back