Dollar Reaches Parity...

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roo_dr

Reaction score
With the dollar soon expected to reach parity with the Americanese, are we really expected to purchase our hops in Australia, or from the local HBS?!

At US$8.75 / 500g, I'll be putting my order in pronto!

http://www.hopsdirect.com/hops/pellethops.html

Bought from them last year when the dollar was at around 85c, and with a flat rate box it was only US$112 all in for 2.5kg back then (that's under A$5/100g at todays exchange rate!!). Luckily my brother also brews so we split the order, but if the dollar keeps going the way it is I may have to just start brewing more too!! :chug:

Edit: I sound like I'm selling them - sorry, I'm not. The only COI is that I am a happy customer!

With the dollar soon expected to reach parity with the Americanese

Last time I heard that was a few months before the GFC. Don't count your chickens.

The only COI is that I am a happy customer!

Do you reckon they are/were fresh Roo? I didnt think so. In particular their cascade was very ordinary, throws an assertive astringency taste that isnt welcome or fresh.

edit=dollar parity? going short @ 9850 :)

Do you reckon they are/were fresh Roo? I didnt think so. In particular their cascade was very ordinary, throws an assertive astringency taste that isnt welcome or fresh.

edit=dollar parity? going short @ 9850 :)

Not sure what batch you got or when but mine are ace :beerbang: Come to think of it all the varities I have used have been great. Aroma, Flavour ........... even their imported UK varieties.

BYB

Thanks to a certain member, us MALES have recently taken delivery of a variety of hops from hops direct. All I can say is that these hops are fresh as!
Easily the freshest hops I've seen/smelt/drank. Simply awesome.

Get on it while the dollar is high gents.

Touch (knock on) wood it stays high. I've got six weeks there in a couple of months.

Will be leaving a couple of kgs free in the baggage allowance...

Any other good hop suppliers from the US? <$10/450g is awesome!!

Pok

isnt petrol supposed to be a dollor a litre now according to these financial experts?
that being said im all for buying hops from the us ,as already said freshest ive ever had and cheaper delivered to my door than i can get any were locally.

Anyone have feedback on hops direct locally grown english hops (read that carefully)?

I'll be doing an order, currently just rolling with the roulette of the ASX. Some say our $ will go beyond parity - I ain't going to wait too long in hope though

Any other good hop suppliers from the US? <$10/450g is awesome!!

Pok

Nikobrew are supposed to be good also. I think he may have even posted on here at some point. I dont think hops direct can be beaten for price though. I'll be ordering from them shortly.

MD

Hops Direct state that they will have Citra and Sterling Pellets available in mid Sept - hopefully amarillo will be back on at some time too

Is there any other home brew equipment that can be bought cheaply from the US? I just got a mill and would like to take advantage of the high dollar.

Nikobrew are supposed to be good also. I think he may have even posted on here at some point. I dont think hops direct can be beaten for price though. I'll be ordering from them shortly.

MD

Have dealt with Nikobrew, great guys and very fresh hops too. Hops Direct are in my good books too.....

Is there any other home brew equipment that can be bought cheaply from the US? I just got a mill and would like to take advantage of the high dollar.

yes, its where my perlick perl taps and gas manifolds came from, have also bought some stainless steel 1/2 inch Hop Screens recently too.

MD

isnt petrol supposed to be a dollor a litre now according to these financial experts?
that being said im all for buying hops from the us ,as already said freshest ive ever had and cheaper delivered to my door than i can get any were locally.

Filled both cars for $1.10 last week, it's getting down there.

That was yonks ago, got down to 1.03 recently, then all the reports said that was as close as itd get, and now its back to 1.25-1.35 and doesn't really move much in the past 2 weeks. (E10 prices).

Back on topic, Hops direct state that the US harvest is underway now, being Autumn in the Northern hemisphere, so hopefully they won't be unloading last year's crop via the internet.

With the dollar soon expected to reach parity with the Americanese, are we really expected to purchase our hops in Australia, or from the local HBS?!

You are expected to purchase them from wherever you feel like purchasing them.

I purchase hops (and other ingredients) from overseas, local businesses and Local home brew shops and don't feel I need permission or approval from anyone else to do so. You should do the same.

I don't understand the illogical, fanatical dedication people have towards a LHBS, if the price of goods can be had for much cheaper through other channels. Saw an exchange rate board today outside of a bank, and the 'Buy' figure was 99 something. Funny to see the 'sell' rate at 89. Those bastards know how to win on the spread, but that was ridiculous.

Back to beertalk. You can get some good deals from local hop suppliers Elleslie. Depends on what varieties you want tho, but for some breeds they are cheap, by the 1/2 kilo, and you will get an analysis sheet to accompany your pellets purchase.

Back