Dollar Reaches Parity...

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:) It took me 45 minutes to write that last one, and in between that, manticle not only responded, but quoted the same thing as I did, as the basis for my response.

Anyone know an American supplier that sells in smaller bundles than pounds?

I already have heaps of hops in terms of total weight, but only about 6 varieties on hand. I'd love to be able to buy say 10 lots of 100gm packs from over there at a decent price.

I already have heaps of hops in terms of total weight, but only about 6 varieties on hand. I'd love to be able to buy say 10 lots of 100gm packs from over there at a decent price.

Nikobrew does it by the oz or the lb, or the 5lb-10lb 'cube', I bought a few oz of Sorachi Ace from them back in Feb IIRC that made some GREAT beer.....

Have you seen ellerslie's 20x100g special?

Have you seen ellerslie's 20x100g special?

Yeah and was tempted, but it contained a lot of hops I already have or don't want, and the prices aren't much better than local shops.

Would be great to get that if I had no hops at all.

Actually off to US in 10 days so very interested in this topic. Just confirming, you can bring back pellets as long as you declare them?

Actually off to US in 10 days so very interested in this topic. Just confirming, you can bring back pellets as long as you declare them?

Yes that is correct.
I don't have it handy, but in the past I've also printed out the detail about it from the AQIS website, just in case the customs officer has no idea (or just doesn't understand my accent). :p

I'm thinking it is timely to renew all my US Mag subscriptions for another max subscription period :p

Doc

I have little to no supply of hops at this stage.

What would you guys recommend as a good shopping list for the 20 x 100gm deal from Ellerslie?

Hi Guy,

I think the Ellerslie deal is a fixed mix as per the list shown on the website. I don't think you get to choose.

Cheers SJ

You are expected to purchase them from wherever you feel like purchasing them.

I purchase hops (and other ingredients) from overseas, local businesses and Local home brew shops and don't feel I need permission or approval from anyone else to do so. You should do the same.

technically the HBS should be getting hops cheaper too. However the middle men may be greedy......

technically the HBS should be getting hops cheaper too. However the middle men may be greedy......

Be nice if we could buy a blichmann top tier system and get it shipped out!! But I dont think they ship to Aust

I've looked around and it seems like it's best to get your most used hops from hops direct and fill in the gaps with craft brewer.

OK. I understand that the larger the market and the more competition, the more downward pressure there should be on prices.

But the difference between what we pay here and what they pay there is beyond outrageous. We literally pay up to five times as much for the same hops? FIVE TIMES?? What possible justification could there be for that? How can shipping hop pellets across the Pacific incur a fivefold increase in price? And that's comparing retail/retail, not wholesale/retail.

Australian consumers are being royally screwed somewhere along the line, yet again.

OK. I understand that the larger the market and the more competition, the more downward pressure there should be on prices.

But the difference between what we pay here and what they pay there is beyond outrageous. We literally pay up to five times as much for the same hops? FIVE TIMES?? What possible justification could there be for that? How can shipping hop pellets across the Pacific incur a fivefold increase in price? And that's comparing retail/retail, not wholesale/retail.

Australian consumers are being royally screwed somewhere along the line, yet again.

Buy American then. Capitalism runs on competition. While you're at it - buy three times what you need and put the excess on ebay to get all your hops for FREE!

Don't charge too much though, or you'll be doing what the shops are doing and no one likes a hypocrite. :p :icon_cheers:

The overcharging aussie brewing shops are really adding a surcharge for offering an almost complete range. I think this is worth paying for ... sometimes. I do think the PoR should be half the price of the Amarillo though...

Anyone know what hops direct charge for postage on 2 lb?

Considering picking up one of these sight glass kit... not bad at around AU $40 delivered for the complete kit

Back