Dollar Reaches Parity...

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
blah ******* blah....its the annual gripe about the cost of lhbs hops compared to the cost of getting them from overseas....yawn ******* yawn.

:unsure: Wish I'd kept my mouth shut now! Rookie error, I apologise to you all...

My hops arrived safely from HopsDirect on thursday, 8 days after ordering - brewing up some tomorrow as soon as I pop into the LHBS to pick up some crystal :icon_cheers:

My hops arrived safely from HopsDirect on thursday, 8 days after ordering - brewing up some tomorrow as soon as I pop into the LHBS to pick up some crystal :icon_cheers:
[/quote]

Have been waitin more than 8 days for them to answer my email .

We seem to have developed two threads here in parallel praising direct imports and knocking / supporting the LHBS.

We are nearly all of us posting from the point of view of full mash brewers, but don't forget there are other threads like extract, kits, etc and low or high dollar doesn't help your non grain brewer unless you are talking about peripherals such as taps - nobody in their right mind is going to import a kit can from overseas. For these brewers, which I bet way way outnumber full mash brewers the LHBS is a little mecca providing all they need (except for a lot of the hops and steeping grains). I have a mate round the corner who religiously brews up a Coopers Real Ale or a Morgans Blue Mountain and when he needs some crystal or US-05 or a foil of hops he bangs in an order to Ross, maybe twice a year, or I often piggy back one for him.

Australian dollar near 2-year highPublished 7:12 AM, 4 Oct 2010

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

QUICK SUMMARY | FULL STORY

AAP

The Australian dollar was stronger while still trading near a two year high.

At 0630 AEDT, the local unit was trading at 97.29 US cents, up from Friday's local close of 96.73 cents.

Since 1700 AEST on Friday, the local unit traded in a wide range between 96.38 US cents and 97.30 US cents.

Over the weekend session the currency reached 97.45, its highest since it touched 97.92 US cents on July 25, 2008.

all good for you operating out of your mums basement

I don't care what price people charge for their products. That's not my point.

It's being asked to SUPPORT local business and not look for the best price.

Anyway, I'm off to put my milk bottles out by the mailbox otherwise I'll miss the milkman. WHAT? That business model has expired?

2010 folks. If people are buying pounds of hops (not exactly bulk) RETAIL from overseas way cheaper ... rethink your prices or your business model.

Failing that - attempt to get your consumer to "support" you, and when you realise that they will ALWAYS buy cheaper if it's as good ... FAIL.

Mom and Pop hardware stores were shit and expensive. Bunnings rocks.

Harry Enfield at his satirical finest:

Last edited by a moderator:
Bunnings rocks.
It rocked. Then the mom and pops closed down and it had no competition. Now they have a "lowest price guarantee" but the actual prices they tend to charge are only lower if you call them on it. I only go there for convenience - when I want the right product at the right price, I avoid them like the plague.

Nick, did you say you found a good place to get Amarillo from the US? Hopsdirect don't have it.

Mom and Pop hardware stores were shit and expensive. Bunnings rocks.
Go in and ask for a feeler gauge, then tell me how much Bunnings "rocks".

Bounce around for the next 15 minutes from minimum-wage drone to minimum-wage drone, being mislead down 5 different aisle's add tell me how much Bunnings "rocks".

Finally find the one "old timer" still employed in the store, only to be told "Oh, them, yeah, we umm, don't stock them anymore, try Supercheap" and tell me how much Bunnings "rocks".

Bunnings, it's the McDonalds of hardware

Bounce around for the next 15 minutes from minimum-wage drone to minimum-wage drone, being mislead down 5 different aisle's add tell me how much Bunnings "rocks".

Finally find the one "old timer" still employed in the store, only to be told "Oh, them, yeah, we umm, don't stock them anymore, try Supercheap" and tell me how much Bunnings "rocks".

Going to Bunnings for a feeler guage is like going to Burger King and asking for a Big Mac. Could you not find the spark plugs either?

:icon_offtopic: well what can you expect from a general argy bargy thread like this. :rolleyes: Nick does have an interesting point about 'expired business models' and I'm sure living on the Gold Coast he would be well aware of the rapidly-becoming-extinct Aussie takeaway/milk bar.
This was, until recently, the main business model for Bribie Island here, with a couple of snack bars in the suburbs and the rest along the main drag off the bridge, and at Bongaree near the jetty. You could be guaranteed the finest frozen dim sims, Chiko rolls, fish and chips, Mrs Macs Pies etc etc. About the most sophisticated fare was a steak sandwich, but generally if you ordered say a seafood basket then that would be done by schoolkids after school reading off a checklist:

2 frozen calamari
3 frozen fish bytes
1 scoop edgells frozen chips
1 frozen potato scallop..................

No sign of the owners, probably down the club on the pokies. And they would religiously shut at 7 pm, sort of a 'closing cartel' because none of them ever seemed to buck the trend. Fortunately there were and still are a few Chinese joints that aren't too bad, and a really tired old Red Rooster. Then in the last few years the following have arrived:

Indian Restaurant
Thai
Tex/mex
Dominos
Eagle Boys
Subway
Noodle box

And they are 3/4 of the way to completing a Maccas woohooooo
You know what? The wailing and whining and gnashing of teeth from the old snack bar owners - still hanging on by the skin of their teeth but still serving frozen shit via schoolkids - is amazing to hear. Yes Nick they are an expired business model. I sorta think that many but not all LHBS tend to be in the snack bar category - hanging on but not adapting. Maybe they can't adapt.
John Steinbeck in "The Grapes of Wrath" accurately describes a mum and dad servo on the highway, fading into oblivion because of the new Shell and Esso servos that they just cannot compete with, and that was back in the 1930s. Not much changes.

Going to Bunnings for a feeler guage is like going to Burger King and asking for a Big Mac. Could you not find the spark plugs either?
Funnily enough, the first place I looked was their Automotive section.

How about that?

Nick, did you say you found a good place to get Amarillo from the US? Hopsdirect don't have it.

It's only in flowers ATM. But:

Hello Nick,
We should have some of our pellets available (by Dec) not sure on which
ones. The cost would be around $10.00 to ship to Tacoma.

Carla

Fingers crossed for a pound of 2010 Amarillo pellets for $13.50! Wicked, I'll take two.

Also check out ebay 'hopsnstuff' You can buy just a single 1lb at a time, and it works out <$AUD25 shipped.

QldKev

Also check out ebay 'hopsnstuff' You can buy just a single 1lb at a time, and it works out <$AUD25 shipped.

QldKev

I've bought the saaz, simcoe and Amarillo and found them to be pretty good quality hops and the price aint bad either.

Thanks guys.

For me, i'm starting to see that this hobby can be a very expensive hobby, I'm only at the beginning stages of setting up my brew rig and my shopping wish list is very long... If I can save on hops I'll have more budget to spend other items, many of which I will buy from my LHBS.

The internet does provide us with a buyers market, but I intend to enjoy some savings and use the extra money to support Australian retailers too.

Sorry to go OT

I worked at Bunnings whilst I was at Uni. It used to be a different place, there were some older guys that I worked with that knew their stuff and because my old man is a builder and grandfather a mechanic I knew heaps about timber, tools, hardware etc.... After being there for 6 years I could provide great service to people, but I was studying to go further than a career at Bunnings. At the end of the day they have turned away from keeping long term employees to throwing young people who have no idea into an area by themselves with no support and little technical training. At the end of the day if you go to Bunnings for hardware you're going to the wrong place, I only go there if I want a cheap BBQ, outdoor setting etc... If I want hardware products I go to a hardware store.

To get back ontopic...

I purchased a grain mill off the internet the other day and it was cheaper delivered to my door than what it would be to buy it from a LHBS (my LHBS is Brewmart is Bassendean and I have always been given great service). I may not have bought the mill of them but I will be buying all my specialty grain, caps, yeast, kegs etc from them because their service.

I've never seen a Bunnings with an automotive section. Maybe we just get gipped in NSW.

It's right next to the perfume and makeup section.

Hey - I get the shits when I can't find a 42 x 190 x 2400 piece of Tassie Oak at Repco.

Anyone got a link for a US supplier of Perlick taps. Other thatn the ebay one?

Cheers Brad

Back